• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Else Think?

bmatlock5

I replaced a capping station about a month and a half ago on my falcon jr. due to cap swelling and now i am already getting cross-contamination on the new assembly. i looked at the caps and they are swollen again. I understand that it happens, but i do not expect it within a two month period. I know of another capping station failure on a friends falcon outdoor that seems peculiar lately and the one thing we have as a common denominator is the new ink from mutoh. We both believe, and wonder if anyone else believes that mutoh has changed the ink formula to a stronger solvent or something that is causing this problem. any ideas or advice from mutoh techs? thanks

Bannerday

I have been having all kinds of problems since the change.

At first I couldn't get my Rockhopper ti recognize a new cartridge. Had to send 3 back to Fellers.

Today, I just started to get a contamination problem as well.

Not sure what's causing it, but I do know that this new ink is not nearly as good as the old stuff.

They say there is no change, but something is just no right with this stuff..

utjason

I've had the same problem. It takes at least 3 tries to get the machine to recognize the cartridge. I had a capping station go out about 3 weeks ago so I ordered a new one. Earlier this week the new one started to swell and caused the ink to cross contaminate again. This seems extreme since it was only 3 weeks old. I ordered another one today and I'm hoping I don't have the same problems with it. I think the ink formula is different with the new cartridges. I hope they get this sorted out quick! Is anyone running a 3rd party ink in their falcons? If so, what brand?

bmatlock5

this capping station was puchased from sign warehouse. this may sound smart, and i don't really mean it this way, but if i am only getting a month and a half out of OEM and a year and a half out of CMYK Parts, i am not sure if i want OEM or not. I also noticed thatthe ink smells stronger, which i am told is a sign of a stronger solvent. i am not accusing anyone of anything, but IF they changed manufacturers (and this is more toward epson than mutoh because i think epson manufactures it) and changed the formula, TELL US!!!! it may save people from chasing problems and wasting time when it is ink related.

tomence

15 Grand and two years worth of on site warranty on parts and labor. I will take it, better print quality etc.......
If not than stick with your Mutohs and those not so good inks of theirs, and replace parts every month and have downtime not able to finish your prints.
ya,, just spend around another 15 grand and make the change..

Easy smeasy,,

Pro Image

15 Grand and two years worth of on site warranty on parts and labor. I will take it, better print quality etc.......
If not than stick with your Mutohs and those not so good inks of theirs, and replace parts every month and have downtime not able to finish your prints.

I have my Mutoh for 3 years now and not one problem to speak of......still prints like the day I bought it........Guy down the road has been threw 2 VP since Ive had mine.......and he prints less than I do......

So get the hell off your Roland pony......They all have problems.......:noway:

Graphics2u

Why is it when someone has a problem so many feel the need to get on their high horse and condemn what ever piece of equipment you are running and proclaim theirs as indestructible? I'm sure the Roland Tech's are just as busy as the Mutoh Tech's are. And that doesn't help anyone fix a problem.

To the original poster:

Do you know that Mutoh changed ink?
Or was there just a change in the cartridge?

First thing is I'd call SW and tell them what's happened and that you want a replacement (and do so nicely, you'll get farther). Next get ahold of Mutoh and ask them about the ink, Why the Change in Cartridge? Why would my capping station do this so quickly?

To me a change in ink (if there was one) Wouldn't really cause this. Alot of people run bulk aftermarket inks which have high solvents and don't have this problem that I'm aware of. Sounds to me like a bad part.

If we all new the truth about where all this ink is manufactured, we'd probably be surprised anyway. Probably comes out of the same giant tank somewhere and a different name get's slapped on the cartridge.

heyskull

This is definitley a problem with a more solvent ink being used.
Come on Mutoh admit it!?
More solvent smell = more solvents..!
I switched to Lyson inks on our VJ1604 and can't complain.
Lyson smells a little more and I am due a capping station anyway (just haven't found the time to fit).
I would fit a genuine capping station and if it happens again Mutoh need to do something especially if you are using their inks.
I have seen a few other people having problems with Mutohs new ink formula (probably they have got it from a cheaper tank...lol)

SC

Compilla

. I also noticed thatthe ink smells stronger, which i am told is a sign of a stronger solvent. i am not accusing anyone of anything, .

You may be right, something has changed, Can you post a good picture
showing your capping pads?

artbot

this is not a mystery. three small containers: with new ink, old ink, and a some MEK, three mutoh caps, and three aftermarket caps.

in each container sink a mutoh cap and an after market cap and observe the results.

in a matter of days, you will know what is causing the issue.

Rooster

Could you have been shipped a capping station that isn't solvent friendly?

Also your cross contamination may be due to an incorrect capping station height that's parking the heads a little low into the foam and allowing any negative pressure to draw ink into the head from the pads in the station. Double check the height adjustment on the capping station to be sure.

thmooch

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but I just replaced a Black cartridge the other day and after printing some heavy Black coverage banners I am having issues with loosing Black. Had been printing great until these Black banners.

bmatlock5

i cannot post a picture of the caps due to the fact that to keep running, i removed the top layer of foam. my guess, and this is totally speculative is that in an effort to cut costs, epson (who supplies ink to mutoh if i am correct) has found a new ink supplier and while they may be in specs supplied by epson on a formula, the old supplier may have been on the low side of solvent aggresiveness while the new is on the high side of aggresiveness and that could be just what it takes to cause a problem. but just a theory. btw, thanks to chuck at mutoh who has been understanding to what i had to say and did not get all defensive like some companies might when you question their product. he has been a big help whenever i have had a problem.

CheapVehicleWrap

Why is it when someone has a problem so many feel the need to get on their high horse and condemn what ever piece of equipment you are running and proclaim theirs as indestructible? I'm sure the Roland Tech's are just as busy as the Mutoh Tech's are. And that doesn't help anyone fix a problem.

To the original poster:

Do you know that Mutoh changed ink?
Or was there just a change in the cartridge?

First thing is I'd call SW and tell them what's happened and that you want a replacement (and do so nicely, you'll get farther). Next get ahold of Mutoh and ask them about the ink, Why the Change in Cartridge? Why would my capping station do this so quickly?

To me a change in ink (if there was one) Wouldn't really cause this. Alot of people run bulk aftermarket inks which have high solvents and don't have this problem that I'm aware of. Sounds to me like a bad part.

If we all new the truth about where all this ink is manufactured, we'd probably be surprised anyway. Probably comes out of the same giant tank somewhere and a different name get's slapped on the cartridge.

No offense...but if your answers starts with calling SWH, any reader in his/her right mind would stop reading your post.