• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever seen this before?

JMDigital

I get the impression that you would have to set the force really high. I wonder if that would hurt the cutter?

They call it a "Diamond-Graver", and I had one that fit my old Ioline. Yes, it does work, and the force doed not need to go very high, ALTHOUGH you will not cut like a router.

The plotter still uses the HP-GL, so fills are really out. It comes in real handy for small stuff like name plates and such (anything brass). I do not think I would try and use it on a "stepper machine", but it really does work.

JMDigital

Ok . I was allways told there is no "stupid" questions but.. I don't think I understand the term "Stepper Machine" . I know.. you can smack me later...

JMDigital:

It is not a stupid question. Something I learned from early on. With plotters, there are two types of motors The better of the two, found in the better machines are called servo motors. Much more accurate, greater longevity, etc. etc.

Stepper motors, are like a screw-drive motor. They are cheaper, but their accuracy is not all that great, compared to a servo. They (stepper motors) are the type in the "cheap" plotters.

With Large CNC machines, you will still find many stepper motors in use, beacuse large servo motors can get VERY expensive. With mall CNC machines, like plotters, the cost difference is very small. This is why when someone looks at those cheaper machines, or asks what brand plotter to buy, we recomend machines with servo motors. If the manufacturer is getting that cheap, then they will manufacture the complete unit that way.