Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have any thoughts? Bad media?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by bayshorecreations, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    So I just opened up a roll of Orajet 3164 Matte and I am trying to print on it with really bad results (see pictures) The yellow and black and blue and black are completely bleeding into each other but if I print solid black type it prints fine.
    I printed a job yesterday on this machine on Orajet 3621 Matte and it printed fine.
    Is the media bad?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Sparky

Sparky Active Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Heaters working OK? It looks like the media is not accepting the ink (cold media) but you said that the black only prints fine? Hmmm

3. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    You could try and slow the head down to see if that makes a dif.

4. bayshorecreations

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    ok so an update...
    I changed the media back to the 3621 and it is printing ok. not great but ok.
    I am however noticing that the heaters are not heating up like they usually do any thoughts on the heater situation and/or the printing?

5. Ghost Prophet

Ghost Prophet Member

May 26, 2010
    Try changing your ink density (linearization?) in the RIP. Not a permenant solution but possible work around.

6. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    It looks to me like you're printing cold. Can you turn the heat up from the control panel and verify that the platen is supposed to be hot?

7. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Let me know... I can get those done for you but don't want to keep webbing laminates. You can jerk around with it all night...

8. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    The ink seems like it's puddling and not sticking. You need to verify your heat settings through your rip or via the machines front panel. Make sure you didn't change to a media setting that has a low heat setting.

jc

9. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Not sure on a Mutoh but I have heard of heat strips coming loose from the platten and still read the right temp, but were no longer in contact with the platten.

10. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    On my 1614 I had to take the post heater assembly and electronics off to fit it through a second story window. If I recall correctly the strips were mounted fairly securely.

11. bayshorecreations

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    It is definitely a heater issue. Neither the front or back heater is working. Is there a fuse? Board? Any way to test this to figure out whats wrong?

12. Headhunterx

Headhunterx Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I am getting ready to part out a 64" That has working heaters on it if you find out the heaters have went bad PM me and maybe I can help out.

Richard

13. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Double check your heat settings in your software.
    Sounds like you have it set to "use printer setting" which may be off.

14. bayshorecreations

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    ok so here's an update! My heater is kind of working...
    It heats for a little while then it stops heating. The screen still says that it is on but it just stops heating after a while.
    Thats one of my problems.
    The other issue is, I was printing a test print and I got a pretty bad head strike. Now all of the sudden I am getting no ink from the cyan or mag. Anyone have any thoughts on either issue? Is it possible for a head strike to actually kill the head like that? I tried doing a few head soaks and still no luck.
    Thanks

15. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    just a suggestion, try drawing the cyan and magenta through with a syringe. makes sure the inks flowing

16. bayshorecreations

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    Its flowing to the dampers but not coming out of the head.

17. Headhunterx

Headhunterx Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Did you check your head fuses?

18. bayshorecreations

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    Each head prints 3 colors, im getting yellow from that head so the fuse should be fine otherwise I wouldnt get anything.