• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone having these issues?

Paint the Town

Hello,

I'm new here and was hoping that we could find some answers to a problem we're running into.

We're using 3M Removable Reflective IJ680CR-10 vinyl to apply graphics to some Chevy Sedans and we are running into the issue of it beginning lift from the flat surfaces. It is not horrific but definitely noticeable and undesirable ofcourse. This lifting has even begun within a couple hours of applying the grahics. Has anyone run into this problem?

We are thinking it may have to do with the time we allow the vinyl to cure after printing before we laminate. The times have varied for us depending on the work load for the day and has been anywhere from an hour to 24 hours before lamination. Could not giving it enough time to cure be the issue?

We clean our surfaces with alcohol and do a post heat after applying. Our printer is a Mutoh Falcon II Outdoor 64". Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated! :notworthy:

Circleville Signs

Not curing is a big part of the problem, but here is another one to consider - how long are you allowing the alcohol that you are cleaning with to evaporate before you start applying vinyl?

We prep the night before an install, and then hit the entire vehicle with air once more before we start laying anything down. If that alcohol hasn't completely evaporated when you start laying your graphics, you're going to lose adhesion VERY quickly.

Letterbox Mike

Welcome!

Were these laminated (if so, which laminate)? Contour cut? Does the ink bleed right to the edge of the cut? It sounds like the vinyl was still fairly soft from printing when they were cut. This can happen on occasion, especially if you have heavy ink coverage right to the edge.

That or the surface wasn't prepped well enough. I'd recommend going over the surface with a degreaser (we use Rapid Prep) to remove any silicone, grease, oil or wax, and then clean it with alcohol prior to vinyl application. Sometimes alcohol alone won't completely get rid of some things, particularly stubborn waxes.

MikePro

Not completely sure without seeing it in person, but I'd be willing to put money on it...

Car Wax

...take it off before installing graphics.

sdwnymph

By chance are these brand new cars? Had these probs w/ brand new cop cars that did the same things. Was told was the paint curing prob from the manufacture.

Paint the Town

Yes, these are new cop cars but the build date was 4/10. Could paint curing still be an issue still? Thanks for all your help with this issue, I appreciate it.

sdwnymph

yep -thats the paint curing problem I ran into myself -just about any vinyl you put on it is going to have issues from my experience - I never did find out how to get it resolved, someone said have to let these cars sit for couple of months before able to do anything... but I'm not sure. Good luck and I'm going to watch to see if anyone else DOES know the solution.

Mikeifg

That has been the problem with some of the reflective materials we all are using these days. Did some new cop cars in Florida 3M reflective printed etc... And the same thing happened here. I had a 3M rep take a look and I guess we needed to wait a day after we print and then laminate the graphics wait 24hrs then contour cut and then before you mask be safe and wait another day for the vinyl to settle down. It's just the nature of the reflective. A pain in the butt for getting tings done fast though. It was like a 3-4 day process just to get a set.

Mike

sdwnymph

It happend to me even plain ref vinyl - no printing and still had issues holding to the paint. idk WHAT they are doing to these cop cars... but dang! lol

jferrell3054

Same problem printed reflective vinyl lifting on the edges. We started using windex after the alcohol and problem solved. Alcohol has caused us some major problems.

natedawg9640

we service the fire and emergency industry at work for almost 90% of our stuff. the vast majority is fire trucks and ambulances. generally, we tell the manufacturers that it needs to sit for 3 weeks for the paint to cure. longer if it's winter. we also always let our prints dry for 24 hours before lamination. If the solvents aren't gone, they will cause the Lam to shed.

Also, when prepping for install, always use a degreaser/wax remover first. 50/50 mix of water and alcohol next. new cars are waxed, they have buffing compound on them... etc.

i'd say 40% of our installs are printed reflective and striping, the other stuff is mainly gold leaf.