• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone having trouble with Oracal 751 falling off in a few days?

phototec

The only time I ever had an issue like that, I was trying to install white 751 on a windshield and it was because the owner had used Rain-X so water would shed and bugs would not stick to the glass.

I tried to remove the Rain-X, with Windex, alcohol and Rapid Tac cleaner, nothing would remove the Silicone based rain-X.

So, used Google and and found out it is hard to remove Rain-X, however there is a process to remove it.

My vote is there is some type of wax or Rain-X (Silicone coating) on the air dam to prevent bugs etc from sticking on the surface, that and the combination of cold and snow caused the decal to peel off.

I would suggest doing a test, try cleaning an area on the air dam as if it had some type of Silicone coating, remove accordingly, then re-install the 751 and see if it sticks like it should.

As others have said, I have used old 751 and it stick grate, no issues.

Check this out:

http://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2014/08/18/remove-rain-x-film-windshield-5-easy-steps/

signmeup

There sure are lots of good theories here.
To come to a correct conclusion, a closer analysis is needed.

Why not get up on a ladder, and see what the hell is going on up there ?

Then report it back here .
Thanks.

Yeah... I did go up a ladder and saw what was going on and I did report it here. You're just a tad late to the party. I outlined what I think has happened and what I intend to do in post #35. I am just weeding the replacement decals and will see if I can get the trucks inside tomorrow to redo them. I will report back if they fall off again.

Adrian

signmeup

Are there overhead heaters where you are doing the install?

No sir. The shop is forced air oil heat. The ceiling fans are keeping it from getting hot up at the ceiling like the old shop. It would 80 up there even in the winter from stagnation. I'm going to heat the decals with a torch after they are installed from now on.

Adrian

B Snyder

No sir. The shop is forced air oil heat. The ceiling fans are keeping it from getting hot up at the ceiling like the old shop. It would 80 up there even in the winter from stagnation. I'm going to heat the decals with a torch after they are installed from now on.

Adrian

My thought was that the heater could be spewing oil and the blower is dispersing it in the air.

Vinyldog

Cosmoline was used as a rust preventative long ago. If it's still used I don't think would be on a painted plastic or fiberglass panel. Still finding it on surplus military rifles though.

The story I got from the car dealers when I was a striper was that it protected the paint from acid-rain before the cars left Detroit and damage during transport. But that was thirty years ago, so it doesn't surprise me it's no longer used.

Sumon Sarker

I lettered 7 trucks last week and they sat in the yard waiting for satellite installs so have yet to turn a wheel on the road. The 751 decals on the air dams are literally falling off from the top down. I have been installing these decals in 751 for the past 8 years... several hundred trucks. This is the first time I have had this problem. Same prep as always. Seemed to cut, weed and install the same.

Anyone have any ideas on what has happened. The trucks also had black 751 installed on the sides at the same time that looks pristine.

Adrian
I had same problem with oracle 751 black vinyl haflf way letter fell of from the side has no glue on it,with truck but not with tailor. After
it happen I just keep watching the trucks while i doing the tailors graphics (40 OF Them). One Saturday morning I saw a mobile pressure company washing the trucks not the tailor. I went to them and see what they did again damage the lettering. It should 2 ft far way the nozzle but they are doing only about 2 in far way. Before that I contact to oracle regional office about the matter they warn me about
the pressure wash nozzle should keep 2 ft away.