• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone having trouble with Oracal 751 falling off in a few days?

signmeup

There was no diesel in evidence and no goo. The back of the vinyl appeared normal. I'll take a piece of the failed stuff and stick on something and see how it fares.

Adrian

Techman

diesel exhaust.
They had to drive those cabs there. The exhaust particles got onto the substrate..
Can cause pain..

However.. Those decals were peeled off. Those cabs last driven through a truck Wash. Truck washes spray high pressure jets downward. Ive seen this before. Those washers have to spray down far enough to wash cabs that are lower than the trailer. Thus when the air dam comes under it the graphics get a beating.

It wasn't the vinyl in anyway.

Old?. I have 10 yr old vinyl in the shed,, and it sticks like it was new.

Andy D

How'd you get it to stick in the first place with Rain-X on the windshield?

It's been a while back, but I think he had applied the Rain-x a while before the install, so
it did stick with effort but blew off a day or two after the install.

signmeup

diesel exhaust.
They had to drive those cabs there. The exhaust particles got onto the substrate..
Can cause pain..

However.. Those decals were peeled off. Those cabs last driven through a truck Wash. Truck washes spray high pressure jets downward. Ive seen this before. Those washers have to spray down far enough to wash cabs that are lower than the trailer. Thus when the air dam comes under it the graphics get a beating.

It wasn't the vinyl in anyway.

Old?. I have 10 yr old vinyl in the shed,, and it sticks like it was new.

I'll see what I can find out about diesel particles in paint.

There's no truck wash in this area. There certainly isn't one between the shop door and the yard.

Adrian

signmeup

This is from Oracal's site:

custom silicone coated paper with special release characteristics that provide excellent weeding and release values. customized blue silicone paper liner for matte and gloss white provides superior contrast for easy weeding.

Maybe I got a weird batch. I just received a 50 yard roll of the stuff. Hope it sticks.

I

Techman

When vinyl fails it does NOT rip and peel. It just curls away on all the sides.

That stuff was peeled and ripped somehow all from the top. Pressure washers make a mess just like that.
Remove all the questions and answers until only the facts remain. That no matter how improbable will be the truth.

The facts are. That vinyl peeled from the top only. It not only peeled but it ripped with pieces of it gone. There is no way vinyl will peel and rip off a truck substrate just sitting in a yard. The remaining peeled sections are stretched out of shape.

Those trucks went through a wash somewhere. Or someone peeled it manually. That stuff sticks so well it is nearly impossible to remove it with out leaving some damage.

Or it was applied in such a way it was stretched out of shape and finally pulled back. But, not likely.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To get this straight......

• You lettered 7 tractors last week all with the same vinyl and they haven't left the customers lot at a point when all 7 [or just some of them] started peeling from the top only.
  • Nothing has dropped on them from trees, washing, birds or fairy dust....... all the fairies out there, no offense.
  • The same vinyl has stayed on, on other areas of the tractor without any problems.
  • No visible bubbles or other problems, just peeling from the top down.
  • You cleaned the area before applying vinyl.
  • You wiped it down with alcohol.

Were these done outside or inside ??

signmeup

When vinyl fails it does NOT rip and peel. It just curls away on all the sides.

That stuff was peeled and ripped somehow all from the top. Pressure washers make a mess just like that.
Remove all the questions and answers until only the facts remain. That no matter how improbable will be the truth.

The facts are. That vinyl peeled from the top only. It not only peeled but it ripped with pieces of it gone. There is no way vinyl will peel and rip off a truck substrate just sitting in a yard. The remaining peeled sections are stretched out of shape.

Those trucks went through a wash somewhere. Or someone peeled it manually. That stuff sticks so well it is nearly impossible to remove it with out leaving some damage.

Or it was applied in such a way it was stretched out of shape and finally pulled back. But, not likely.

I've watched Dave(the guy who washes the trucks) pressure wash these things for years. He does it from the ground with a long wand. He hasn't damaged any of my graphics in the 8 or so years I've been applying them.

There is no facility in this area that you drive a truck under to wash it.

My current theory: I think the conditions at the time caused the vinyl not to get a good bite on the substrate. It was cold and damp in the shop. The trucks are wisked outside as fast as I get them done. It snowed and somehow moisture from the damp and snow lifted the vinyl. When the snow slid off it rolled the vinyl over itself and tore that little section of the S.

Adrian

Baz

I was suspecting it could also have been a cold/dampness issue. Especially from where you are located.

But you'd think you would have seen the problem while attempting to remove the transfer tape after install.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
You can try and avoid things like this in the future by heating the vinyl and substrate with a torch after you install it. Basically your post heating the vinyl so the adhesive flows before it goes out in the cold. I installed in weather so cold you had to heat it up before you could remove the mask or the vinyl would rip. Not recommended but we all know sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

At 70 degrees it takes 24-48 hrs. for the adhesive to wet out and build maximum bond.

signmeup

Yeah... I think it was installer error. I should have post heated it. Now that I think of it, these are the first run I've lettered in the new shop. It has about 25 ceiling fans wailing away at all times to blow the heat down from the ceiling. It makes the shop more comfortable for the workers but it's not sweltering up near the ceiling where the air dams are when I letter them. I'm betting it's that combined with a damp day and with the snow.

Adrian

signmeup

I was suspecting it could also have been a cold/dampness issue. Especially from where you are located.

But you'd think you would have seen the problem while attempting to remove the transfer tape after install.

Yeah, the transfer tape behaved as normal. I use medium tack too!

Oh well... 7 air dams to redo isn't the worst bungle I've ever had. I'll remember this for longer since it cost me money. :rolleyes:

Adrian

Vinyldog

Sounds like new vehicles, so maybe Cosmoline coating to protect it during transport? Or the mfg. has come up with something to keep bugs from sticking to the dam. Those things usually get covered with bug guts.
Never had a problem with O.751

ams

751 doesn't seem to like heat guns or torches.
I am betting it could be wax or the paint of the vehicles.

B Snyder

Sounds like new vehicles, so maybe Cosmoline coating to protect it during transport? Or the mfg. has come up with something to keep bugs from sticking to the dam. Those things usually get covered with bug guts.
Never had a problem with O.751

Cosmoline was used as a rust preventative long ago. If it's still used I don't think would be on a painted plastic or fiberglass panel. Still finding it on surplus military rifles though.

decalman

There sure are lots of good theories here.
To come to a correct conclusion, a closer analysis is needed.

Why not get up on a ladder, and see what the hell is going on up there ?

Then report it back here .
Thanks.