• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone know of a better alternative to Orajet 3640?

appstro

I use the stuff to print decals and it prints great, except it shrinks up ALOT when the decals set for a few weeks. I also use it for signage and have no issues so far. Anything better than 3640 that is around the same price point? I need gloss and matte options for decals :) :thankyou:

rjssigns

Nature of the beast. Calendared wants to return to its original shape. We've run 3M, KAPCO, Oracal, Shine-Rite etc...horse a piece.

particleman

That is one of Oracal's cheapest (if not the cheapest) printable vinyls. You're just going to have to buy something better. I'm surprised it prints well for you, I've used it on several solvent and latex machines and it doesn't print nearly as well as other lines (3651,3165,3951 etc)

appstro

I used a general formulations when I first started doing this 3 years ago, but I cant remember if it shrank up or not. I know it wasnt cheap. :( Thanks man :) Lol, never heard the saying horse a piece before!

appstro

That is one of Oracal's cheapest (if not the cheapest) printable vinyls. You're just going to have to buy something better. I'm surprised it prints well for you, I've used it on several solvent and latex machines and it doesn't print nearly as well as other lines (3651,3165,3951 etc)

Its not the best but I am not sure what the "standard" is. I was advise to use it by a store clerk and a couple of other guys I know doing decals so i went with the 3640.

have you guys ever used "Hexx" or something like that... I think t hats what its called. i have seen that used on decals too...

rjssigns

Odd. We are in love with the 3640/210 combo. We've been doing some color critical interior work(posters, wall art) and actually look forward to using it. Wife even looks forward to laminating with 210 and she absolutely hates the laminator.

appstro

Odd. We are in love with the 3640/210 combo. We've been doing some color critical interior work(posters, wall art) and actually look forward to using it. Wife even looks forward to laminating with 210 and she absolutely hates the laminator.

Other than shrinkage its not bad. Occasionally I will get banding but I think that has more to do with the fact that I am running colorrip with a profile for 3651 and cant afford the upgrade to versaworks to get the profile for 3640.

It shrinks really bad though. On circle decals its not really noticable. Its all uniform......On square decals though, ..... they actually start to "hour glass" and I cannot sell them :(. The image gets so distorted that you cant pass it by the customer with them not wanting it.

On sign work its been fine other than polycarbonate gassing out and getting trapped under the vinyl... Wont do that again :( Its a ***** to tear off:banghead:

rjssigns

That's where we have an advantage. All the prints we do have some sort of frame or holder. You'll never see the edges.

Just remembered something.(brain fade) Print on Oracal 651. No shrinky after cutty. Learned that from a client no less.(won't bore you with the details of this revelation)

Also if you are doing full bleed let sit overnight then cut. Ink really "tenderizes" calendared products.