• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone looking at their business differently now?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just curious if anyone who is in "shut down" or doing work for just essential business is looking at their business differently? Since my door is locked, there are no more walk-ins...which means no more people looking for little jobs, no "personal" jobs. I am taking orders only electronically now and for the most part, for businesses only. What has this been like? IT'S BEEN GREAT. All of the jobs I've been doing have been a minimum of $100. I'm putting in less time and making more per hour. I don't go in every day, I go in for full days, get my work done and go home. I've had several calls for small jobs but I turn those down and tell them they have to wait until the "safer at home" ban is lifted (or maybe never). Going forward I'm looking at reducing my open hours, minimum $ for orders and adding basic and frequent items to my online store for pick up. I've really been utilizing my mail slot for payments and key/vehicle drop offs and my garage pick up area for pick ups. Not that I don't like interacting with customers but there are some times it isn't necessary.

Has anyone else been finding this could make business different for them going forward? Would love to hear from larger shops with employees.

tony mansfield

Just curious if anyone who is in "shut down" or doing work for just essential business is looking at their business differently? Since my door is locked, there are no more walk-ins...which means no more people looking for little jobs, no "personal" jobs. I am taking orders only electronically now and for the most part, for businesses only. What has this been like? IT'S BEEN GREAT. All of the jobs I've been doing have been a minimum of $100. I'm putting in less time and making more per hour. I don't go in every day, I go in for full days, get my work done and go home. I've had several calls for small jobs but I turn those down and tell them they have to wait until the "safer at home" ban is lifted (or maybe never). Going forward I'm looking at reducing my open hours, minimum $ for orders and adding basic and frequent items to my online store for pick up. I've really been utilizing my mail slot for payments and key/vehicle drop offs and my garage pick up area for pick ups. Not that I don't like interacting with customers but there are some times it isn't necessary.

Has anyone else been finding this could make business different for them going forward? Would love to hear from larger shops with employees.
Market changes can definitely make you rethink your position. But remember if you change your business model, it may help now but long term, you may be doing more harm then good. The other side of the coin is, maybe you wanted or needed a change in you model. I know several businesses that have made the change, they work less but are more content..

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've been struggling as well with identity during this shutdown. We're not a big shop, we're not a small shop - but often times the bigger we get the more I wonder if it's really worth all the added stress and liability.

Reminds me of this story...

https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman/
That is an excellent story! Exactly the way this whole shut down has me feeling. Thank you for sharing, hopefully others will read it as well!

JetPress

Where I work at hasn't exactly gone on lock down. Schools, restaurants and barbershops are closed but everything seems to be running like normal. Business has slowed down for us but the people coming in are still ordering ordinary things such as NCR forms and business cards. Surprisingly majority of our sign orders have not been related to the pandemic. Hygiene wise my way of thinking has improved. Everyday before we open and after we close I disinfect our door handles, work stations, restroom, etc.

gabagoo

I come in every day and do what little trickles in. My goal is to at least cover rent and utilities and I will be happy. I have worked for myself for about 35 years now and the most I ever took for a holiday was a week possibly twice a year. This shutdown and me coming in basically part time is sort of a glimpse into retirement. Can't wait to work full time again.

rjssigns

I'm shut down for the most part. Not doing as much as before, but that will change once the Safer at Home is lifted. Regular clients know they can email/text and order and I'l set it outside or drop it off.
Lots of my work got pushed into the future. As soon as the governor gives the okey dokey folks will exhale and push the order button. Going to be interesting.

greysquirrel

Never really advertised for walk in traffic...and family/friend jobs almost always become a headache one way or another. Recently been dabbling with social media. Who knew advertising actually works. Equipment and shop loaded for bear! But I am low overhead...its just me

johnnysigns

We've been doing the same thing although I'm coming into the shop roughly 30% of what is normal. I'm just trying to keep my head above water like everyone else until this ends. At this point, and I'm sure this is a shared sentiment, if I don't lose the business and can continue paying bills through this I'm happy.

StarSign

Our local business has slowed, however, our national business is still on track and we have work booked into next year (knock on wood).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When I was at a larger shop, having walks-in was a complete waste of time and $$. Now that I work from home I don't deal with that mess.

Business has been picking up over the last few weeks. New business are opening and construction is moving forward. This month is actually looking like we'll be even with last year's April.

PapaT

I've been struggling as well with identity during this shutdown. We're not a big shop, we're not a small shop - but often times the bigger we get the more I wonder if it's really worth all the added stress and liability.

Reminds me of this story...

https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman/
I have read several other versions of this story. What the story does not consider is that if the fisherman stayed out longer he could bring home more fish to sell to others who don't have any fish. He could then use the extra money to employ someone else who doesn't have a job. He could then afford a larger boat so the local boat builder can afford to buy more fish for his family, and then the fisherman can hire more locals who are out of work.

My point is that if you don't want the stress and want to stay small that's fine. I made the same choice many times. But if you grow your business and serve the community, and employ people there is benefit in that too. It's not just about making money so we can retire rich. I am unemployed right now and would be very thankful for an employer who was willing to accept the stress to keep me employed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I will say this that I've noticed since my work as been coming back.

I rely on sign companies and small manufactures all over the place.. they are a lot more attentive to my requests now. Sign companies are itching to give me my bids back quickly and I just got off the phone of an engraver of ADA signs and they are ready to accept the work! Seems only a few months ago no one could be bothered with any new work coming in. Humbling to say the least.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You found a job that let's you spec engraved ADA?! I thought all them architects had gotten together to push thermoformed exclusively. "Signs to be of one piece construction..." just makes me bang my head on the desk!

Never knew anything about thermoformed signs. Just Googled it and learned something.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We go for the rotary engraved style in house, anything thermoformed is outsourced, and trying to get a call back from an architect on something so 'trivial' is impossible. Even when you tell them you can alter signs after the initial job for $25 each, two day wait time, vs $100 each and however long it takes to fab and ship.

Doesn't even seem like visually there is a big difference. I have to correct myself, I'm not getting engraved, it's that rowmark plastic applique or however they call it, plastic over plastic with braille. I looked into a machine that does it but I'd be better to leave it to people that do that stuff all day.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs

Over the course of a number of years, I kept bumping up the minimum order to accomplish this exactly. I am now happy with where I am at (I have 5 employees BTW). I was very careful in doing this, because it did offend a number of customers. The key is to do it slowly and intentionally. You lose your bottom end of customers as you gain on the top end. This is assuming, of course, that you are building up your top end. We can't be choosy to take higher-dollar jobs just cuz. I worked my tail off learning creative design and how high-end signage is built, educated myself on ADA signage, etc. Gain as much knowledge as you can about what you want to go after. I stopped showing certain types of signs in my literature and social media. I may do those kinds of signs if asked, but I will not promote them. Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Jeremiah

Today at 1 pm pilot truck stop in van horn tx, sign company service truck and bucket truck 6 workers to clean bird crap off the top of the sign.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We are almost completely shut down. Everyone sent home but I am still at the shop taking phone calls and emails.
Getting some new work in. Mostly quotes on lift gates (?). My 50 ATM wrap project looks like it might move forward (they asked for an invoice to get the deposit approved) and that will keep me busy for a while.

On the homefront everything is supposed to be closed - Governor is blocking main roads to keep people from moving around. They added extra space to the public cemetery and are waiving the $500.00 planting fee so that is something.
Bank said the PPP funds have run out - at least for us - don't know of any on island that got this to work so far.

After all the bad press over the Carrier DOD is kicking into high gear - setting up a 500 bed field hospital not far from my house. Added tents to the Navy Hospital and looks like they are building a more permanent field hospital inside the fence on the main base.
Very interesting times ahead.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

visual800

Dead as hell here (sorta been dead before this, because of location) Ive been looking for another house to flip, been doing some construction stuff on the side since Im getting ZERO emails or phone calls. A couple other shops in my area are dead but a few others take all that quickie knock out stuff and they are busy.

BobM

This shut down has proven to me that my business (small as it is) doesn't need the rented space. My phone still rings regularly, my customers still need signs and truck lettering, and walk ins are mostly waste time. I'm in the process of moving everything to my home shop. I'm still outsourcing printing to Bill & Tim @ WYDL with great success and using some contract labor to assist in installing structure signs. Customers are finally willing to communicate via email and texts. Cutting overhead along with dropping some more difficult customers makes life easier while the bottom line gets better. Life is good.