• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone looking at their business differently now?

DPD

I'm in a different place than most. I'm in NJ which is one of the states that have had significant problems with the virus so it's been a serious shutdown by our Governor and presently no end in sight as far as opening. I was considering retirement just prior to the shutdown and now its becoming more of a reality.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Business slowed for me. I was hit by a computer virus about a month ago and lost a hard drive with all my records on it. My backups were totally useless because they were tied into the hard drive I lost. Been spending most of the time reconstructing my records so I can do taxes.
I also had some downtime on my website. Don't know for how long on that one. It's no wonder I was not getting any website orders. It's back up and running now though and I'm getting busy again
I don't have any walk in traffic so it's business as usual.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm excited to open my doors again but this situation has me really wondering...what was I REALLY doing with all my time? Great opportunity to evaluate such things and make things more efficient.

GreySquirrel, FB has been the ONLY way I've been advertising, it's a great resource and it's free unless you pay for ads.
Market changes can definitely make you rethink your position. But remember if you change your business model, it may help now but long term, you may be doing more harm then good. The other side of the coin is, maybe you wanted or needed a change in you model. I know several businesses that have made the change, they work less but are more content..
I agree with that, I did need to re-evaluate my model. I take one way too many small jobs and either do not charge enough or spend too much time on them which puts a strain on the larger money making jobs. Fridays are horrible, many walk ins looking for 4x4 decals, etc custom made, special glitter vinyl, etc. Although it's nice
This shut down has proven to me that my business (small as it is) doesn't need the rented space. My phone still rings regularly, my customers still need signs and truck lettering, and walk ins are mostly waste time. I'm in the process of moving everything to my home shop. I'm still outsourcing printing to Bill & Tim @ WYDL with great success and using some contract labor to assist in installing structure signs. Customers are finally willing to communicate via email and texts. Cutting overhead along with dropping some more difficult customers makes life easier while the bottom line gets better. Life is good.
Bob -this is exactly what I was thinking. I am starting to get busy the last week and it's mostly larger jobs for businesses or repeat customers. I have to be closed right now so instead of sitting at the shop from 8-4 everyday I work from home and go to the shop for production, etc. I can't believe how much I can get done with the door locked and without all the walk ins and little jobs. My profit margin is the best it's ever been. I won't be moving my shop but I want to start focusing on driving business electronically and continue using my "pick up zone" and "payment box" - reduce walk in hours and a minimum order $ amount. I do believe many customers are busy and they too can appreciate the convenience. I'm not being lazy and not looking to only work 40 hours - I love my job! When you notice such a difference in the hours worked for profit - it's time to look at why. Walk ins for me are a killer. Lots and lots and lots of people looking for one decal or one shirt, etc. It kills me.

Richard2717

I had 2 employees plus myself (downsized 6 years ago from 20) I had to lay them both off early on because of the unclear state shut down order. I later determined I was allowed to stay open due to the rules so I texted my install guy and his response was " I don't want to mess up my unemployment coming back in" It forced me to get creative and really sit down and think about what I wanted and how to best accomplish that. I should also note that I lost my hearing about 10 years back, so part of the reason I kept others on was because I can no longer source my DOT physical card so I am not legally allowed to drive my big trucks any longer. I also kept one guy in the shop answering the phone, doing layouts and working the printer and vinyl cutter. Since no one wanted to work, I have has someone put a message on the machine that all orders and requests should be emailed (along with giving the address several times in the message) I am going to sell my bigger trucks as well as the Mimaki printer and buy me a 32' van that I don't need DOT card for and do what i can by myself and for myself. I already have lots of customers that I have dealt with for years that already email me directly so the only thing it "should" impact is new customers. Thankfully when I downsized I gave up the storefront and 15k square feet space to move back home. I still have 4k sq ft here so can still push out quite a bit of work. I also learned it is a lot harder to install a set of 4' reverse lit channel letters on a brick wall by yourself, but can be done.

Farmboy

Honestly, I'm playing this day by day. I've been working alone for just over a month in a shop that had 3 people going. Business hasn't really slowed and I've been working 10 to 12 hour days everyday...everyday. I've used some of the time to redo all of my pricing on shirts,signs and coffee. Yes, I roast coffee on the side. I have really enjoyed just taking the bulk of orders over the web stores I set up. Changed my hours to 9 to 4 and may keep them there. I really like not running up front to help some time waster that's walked through the door. I also only take a few weeks off during the year, just started that a few years ago, but this last week off which was in early Feb I didn't really close because I had some jobs that just needed to be done. I'm my own worst enemy. I know I need to change my model, to what I don't know yet. I feel like I did years ago when I was on the verge of needing to hire help, I've had as many as 5 working with me at one time, but now I feel like I'm at the opposite end of that and want to do less but just not sure how to do it. It'll be 20 years next August, not as long as some, but it's getting to feel like it's been long enough.

Dennis Schaub

Many years ago my mentor asked me if I was "profitable", I answered, I have been "busy". He explained the difference. Shortly after we instituted a $50 minimum order, it has been a God sent, realistically, it is $100 these days. On the other side of that... all our auto manufacturing business has dried up, so we may have to go back to those small jobs, lord help me.