• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone make Spindles for staircase?

TheSellOut

I am looking to have about five oak spindles made for the staircase in my home. Does anyone here make them or can you point me in the right direction? I can post a picture of it and send UPS an existing spindle to anyone interested.

TIA

jiarby

I used to get a catalog from a company that did this.... I was looking for 4x4 finials and found them... lots of cabinetry, trim, and spindles. I'll have to dig through 100lbs of catalogs// hang on!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Any decent stair company should be able to match whatever you have.

TheSellOut

They are custom made, the house was built in the 20's. I will look into the Stair co.'s as mentioned and Jiarby your research is appreciated! Thanks Again guys!

about the only person i can think of that has a cnc lathe on their router table that may be big enough to do this is draper the signmaker...i know a few others that have 20" lathes on their routers but taht isn't going to help you...and to be honest most of the sign guys that have lathes on their routers really havent pushed the limits with them you would probably be much better off going to someone that specializes in reproduction woodwork than a sign guy.

signmeup

I'm a master Windsor chair maker and could make your parts. I made a set of 75 stair spindles for an old house a few years back. You'd be better off getting them done locally but if you can't find anyone, and you're patient, I can make them for you.

Here are some pics of my work.

Attachments

• IMG_3523sm.jpg
    IMG_3523sm.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3525sm.jpg
    IMG_3525sm.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 138

Pat Whatley

Damn, first Pancake King reveals he makes some damn nice signs, now he shows off damn good furniture. What's next? Gonna reveal that you used to do engraving for the US Mint?

John L

I have a buddy with an indexer for his cnc. He could probably make a match. If all else fails, PM me and I will get you a number or email for him.

TheSellOut

I will post pics tonight when I get home, seems I left me camera there, and I would be very patient with this project. We have been in the house for 5 years now without them being done, but we just refinished the original hardwood floors and I would love to see it completed with the spindles!

signmeup

Pat, I also used to design and manufacture R/C model airplane kits. These were laser cut. I specialized in the Gee Bees because they were/are reguarded as some of the most difficult planes to sucessfully model. Here's a pic of a 1/5th scale Gee Bee R2 and the kit contents.

Attachments

• 15thr2.jpg
    15thr2.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 176
  • r2kitcontent.jpg
    r2kitcontent.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 182

cptcorn

adad
JohnL please change your avatar to this... Thanks! :D
My brain explodes when I see the one that you currently have, so I thought I might help you out a bit :D

attachment.php

:beer:beer:

Some neat stuff in here.

Attachments

• johnL.gif
    johnL.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 277

B Snyder

This company is across the street from my shop. Going out of business after 60+ years and EVERYTHING is for sale. Anyone looking for stair building materials and supplies could probably find a really good deal on anything they need.

signmeup

Those are beautiful chairs! Is that mahogany?
No, Windsor chairs are made of 3 different types of wood in the same chair. The bent parts are Ash, the turned parts are White Birch and the seat is carved from White Pine. The whole thing is then painted....traditionally black. The ones I posted are black/green.(very dark green)

The chairs are made entirely with hand tools and the only part that gets sanded are the top surface of the seat. All the other parts show the marks from the antique tools that are used to make them. The turnings are straight from the lathe with no sanding and are glass smooth. (I can turn a chair leg in under 15 minutes)

Last edited: