• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Fluid and Reflective Vinyl

hatmanok

Can you use application fluid with reflective vinyl. I have to layer it and using application fluid would make it a lot better to apply. Thanks

strypguy

I do it too....oops. Well, I use alittle johnsons baby shampoo and water. Never had a problem. I've been doing it that way for over 15 years. I also own a vehicle I put reflective on wet 5 years ago and it has had no issues.
Never used it to layer the stuff, though.

John

signmeup

I have, on very rare occasions, applied reflective dry. Mostly I apply it wet with Rapid Tac. I only apply it wet because I need to line it up with an outline that has already been applied to the vehicle and doing it wet makes it easy to see where it needs to go. (I try to never stick reflective directly to a vehicle...I always try to apply cast vinyl under it so It will be easy to remove down the road)

I've done about sixty 18 wheelers for a local company. All the reflective was applied wet. These things go from northern Newfoundland to sunny California. I can't imagine a harsher test than freezing cold salt spray to blazing sun and heat. Some of these go back 6 years and still look like they were just done.

I use something called KIWA from TCT Graphics in Toronto. It runs about 25 bucks a yard for 24".

You will now get a whole bunch of nonsense about mold and corrosion that happened once 10 years ago to someone.

Jillbeans

I do it dry when I can, as that's what is recommended by the manufacturer.
But most of the time I apply wet using Rapid Tac 2.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

I have, on very rare occasions, applied reflective dry. Mostly I apply it wet with Rapid Tac. I only apply it wet because I need to line it up with an outline that has already been applied to the vehicle and doing it wet makes it easy to see where it needs to go. (I try to never stick reflective directly to a vehicle...I always try to apply cast vinyl under it so It will be easy to remove down the road)

I've done about sixty 18 wheelers for a local company. All the reflective was applied wet. These things go from northern Newfoundland to sunny California. I can't imagine a harsher test than freezing cold salt spray to blazing sun and heat. Some of these go back 6 years and still look like they were just done.

I use something called KIWA from TCT Graphics in Toronto. It runs about 25 bucks a yard for 24".

You will now get a whole bunch of nonsense about mold and corrosion that happened once 10 years ago to someone.

I had mould on a fleet of cars that I did for canada border services agency and it was the TCT reflective that did it believe it or not. We actually put it down dry, but the mould was appearing on the side stripes only where the vinyl sort of curved slightly upwards over and above the door handles of an Impala. We blamed it on the no touch car wash that they ran the cars through twice a week. Still repaired for free with no compensation. I have since swithced to 3M not to avoid the mould but for a much easier weeding experience lol

signmeup

I do it dry when I can, as that's what is recommended by the manufacturer.
But most of the time I apply wet using Rapid Tac 2.
Love....Jill
The stuff I've used doesn't have any notes from the manufacturer on it. What is this "Rapid Tac II" you speak of?

the problem arises if the conditions are just right and it can take some time for it to happen (i have personally witnessed installations that you could see no evidence of mold for 5 yrs and then spring time..POP...the black nasty), the obvious problem being mold developing because of trapped fluid.

i worked with a chemist to develop a product that would eliminate this issue and i know that the product was sold to a few adhesive manufacturing companies that are involved in vinyl production (news flash...many vinyl manufacturers don't make their product in its entirety or from scratch...sshhhhh)

unfortunately i have no way of knowing what companies that manufacture the adhesive are selling to what vinyl manufacturing company..so it is a bit like russian roulette..but the consequences aren't nearly as bad by any means.

this product could also be incorporated into application fluid either by a manufacturer or home made brew and with a little ingenuity, as sign guys are known for, could be improvised with commonly available items if you really think about the potential problem (wink wink)

TheSnowman

I haven't done much reflective vinyl lately, but I did do some about five years ago after I first bought the business. It was Avery, (this was before I discovered S101) and that was the brand of the majority of the vinyl the previous owner bought.

I did a van with the Avery, and I did it wet w/ Rapid Tack application fluid. I saw the van a few weeks ago, and it had some areas on it that had turned black. Now, that being said...I REALLY don't believe that it was the "doing it wet" that caused it, because I have done others that still look good, but they have been parked inside a lot.

I'd say use 3M, and you'll be golden!