• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Tape Application

rjssigns

We are doing more and more products that need application/transfer tape and we're wondering what everyone uses to put it on. I've been thinking about a cheap laminator just for taping graphics. :help
We apply the tape manually now with wide squeegees and the BS products. But sometimes with the amount of product we have to tape it is a PITA.

Salmoneye

I use a BS yard tool with easy application and tons of luck on a 3/4" thick glass 8' table but a laminator would work well too. Let me know if you need an affordable one, I bought a 60" or 63" Chinese job for a little over 2k that I absolutely couldn't be happier with.

Rojo

I use a BS yard tool with easy application and tons of luck on a 3/4" thick glass 8' table but a laminator would work well too. Let me know if you need an affordable one, I bought a 60" or 63" Chinese job for a little over 2k that I absolutely couldn't be happier with.

Elaborate if you don't mind. Brand, model. Do you lam and mount with it? Do you lam individual prints or from a lam roll? Price sounds great if the quality and capability are there.

J

john1

I have been laying app tape on graphics by hand for over 6 years now. If the run is any longer than 4' i use the big squeegee.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Pretty much hand apply smaller one off stuff. If its longer than a few feet or lots to do we just throw the app tape on the laminator. Heck - there is a 48" log of tape on the laminator right now where we just taped a ton of reflective stuff for an ambulance.

Sticky Signs

I have had zero luck using my laminator to apply tape to cut vinyl. Always wants to wrinkle. I use an empty core to push the tape on. Works good for me although it is a pita.

Salmoneye

US Tech AK-600 is what I have. I have never used it to apply tape, I use a BS yard tool. But as far as putting down laminate this unit has been excellent. I have not lost one print with this laminate and it is the first one that I have owned myself. I repeat that I have not lost one print! I find this unbelievable. Most of my prints I do off of a roll although this unit won't do roll to roll automatically. Just did a 54" x 56' print, that is a pretty long run for us.

4R Graphics

We have a us tech laminator we use to lam prints and long runs of cut vinyl. We have never had a problem with the laminator. The longest run we have ever done was 50+ feet @54" wide. This was several panels for a big truck all printed and stored on the take up reel we figured we would see how long a run we could do and I will say it worked out fine. You just have to make sure your set up is nice and straight and give yourself a little room for walking. We run 16' or more everytime and we are printing 52.5 inches on 54 inch material this gives us more than enough room for the lam walking on the print.

kffernandez

Big Squeegee here. Has made my life a whole heck of a lot easier.

i can't seem to be able to use my big squeegee on app tape straight. i've successfully done hundreds of print installs, but app tape application is just too difficult for me. :frustrated: it is difficult to center, wrinkles, app tape is difficult to get off the roll, and i just can't figure out how to keep my cut vinyl flat.

then again, i'm probably just doing something wrong. the videos didn't help much either.

kelly

neckbone

I've had trouble using the Masking style application tape with the BS, but the clear releases from the roll effortlessly. I really like the clear tape.

MikePro

we have our 48" application tape on rollers at the end of our 5'x16' graphics table
masking is a piece o' cake, but i've still been tempted to try masking large projects with my laminator. someday, maybe.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Gonna get a BS sooner or later ... right now for application tape I use my old silk screen squeegees for taping graphics. have a 12, 18 and 24 that are too hard to pull prints effectively but are fantastic for applying T.T.

showcase 66

i can't seem to be able to use my big squeegee on app tape straight. i've successfully done hundreds of print installs, but app tape application is just too difficult for me. :frustrated: it is difficult to center, wrinkles, app tape is difficult to get off the roll, and i just can't figure out how to keep my cut vinyl flat.

then again, i'm probably just doing something wrong. the videos didn't help much either.

kelly

Occasionally I will get off center. It took me about 3 weeks to get it completely down. If I get a chance I will try and record me applying the tape. I also use the big squeegee cradle for this. Not sure how much difference this makes with the other styles. But like I said before, I love my big squeegee.

Had a vendor in here today who had never seen one before, taped 20 38" x 18" pieces and laminated 2 - 24" x 60" perforated pieces in about 30 minutes. 15 minutes while the vendor was watching to show him how it worked.

schlimmerkerl

Cut Vinyl Paint Mask Help

I've been experimenting with paint-masking vinyl for larger graphics. However, even with heavy burnishing, some paint (applied with a fine foam roller) always seeps under the mask, and the result is unsatisfactory. I've tried the Avery and Oracal products, supposedly formulated for "rough surfaces", and the results are uniformly bad. Thanks.

kelly

Is the surface you are applying transfer tape onto your graphics over perfectly flat? That will always cause problems. Even if your work surface is just a tad bowed or cupped it can wreak havoc on anything you try to laminate. Just a thought.

rjssigns

Thanks for all the good info guys. I will go the cheapie route first, but may end up with somebodies cast off laminator.