• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

applying grapic to clear acrilic

chopper

I am applying a graphic to 1/2 inch clear acrylic,
it is printed on clear ( in reverse) backed with white, contour cut. applied dry, viewed through the acrylic. I seem to get some small bubbles here and there not real bad but wondering if there might be a better way than what I am doing....I thought of doing this wet but I think it might be worse than the results I am getting now. anyone do this type of sign? if so what do you do...
thanks
//chopper

Sign Eagle

We apply frequently that way. We typically us our laminating machine to mount. If doing manually we use a little water. If you get any bubbles, dry or wet they'll go away in a few days.

Custom_Grafx

If wet is worse, something's not right.

I also use the laminating machine - dry. For smaller jobs, I apply wet and manually.

petepaz

we use the laminator also that should give you the best application but depending on the vinyl you use there still may be some visual effects that you might not like from the adhesive it self

dlndesign

Lam wet for best results, I use a 50/50 rapid tac and water, then I squeegee the remainder after a few moments when the tac sets up, then I run a few passes through the laminator, I give it overnight for any bubbled/silvering to work its way out, and run one last time through laminator. Works great with a clear dual adhesive.

Biker Scout

The correct way to do this is use a product called "Optically Clear Mounting Adhesive Film" It's a thin double sided film that allows you to mount basically anything, so as not to see the distortion of the adhesive when viewed in reverse.

This way, you can print on regular vinyl, photo paper etc... The clever thing about printing right side reading with regular vinyl, and laminating it to the "Optically Clear Mounting Adhesive" is that you now have the sticky part of the regular vinyl available to use. We sometimes use a really thin layer of acrylic mounted to the rear of a photo mount. Have you ever seen a mounted photo at a studio gallery like Peter Lik or Rodney Lough? That's how those are made. However, just printed on a Durst Lambda or Lightjet printer on Metallic Paper... but mounted the same.

ACRYLITE OP3 P99 is the best stuff to use for photos. (Non Glare, UV protection and 95% optically clear light transmission, and doesn't yellow over time)

AKwrapguy

We do these all the time as well. For larger ones we usually wet apply with a large roller or smaller hand roller or a wet applicator. We use a clear dishsoap and water mix, spray the plex, spray the back of the material, float it on, spray top of material to reduce friction and apply. Let it sit overnight and come back to check on it.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Laminator. Any tiny bubbles you may see are probably dust. We use a dust roller to get everything off...usually spend 10 minutes rolling and rolling to make sure it is dust free.

ThatGuy

We always do a print on Avery 2050 mounted 1st surface then do a reverse image on clear mounted 2nd surface. Works every time.

We use a table to mount but a regular laminator works fine if you have a couple extra hands available. IMAG2094.jpg IMAG2089.jpg