• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apprenticeship Wanted

marcrunner

Interested Parties,
I recently purchased a cnc router with appropriate software. I have been working diligently to improve my sign making skills but have found that I need the expertise of a master craftsman(Or at least someone with more experience than I ). While signmaking is what I would like to learn, it is not imperative that it be the focus of my studies.I am presently in a situation in my life where I have the time and ability to study with someone in a paid/unpaid position. I am willing to travel to your shop, learn from you, and assist you while learning.
What I am essentially asking for is an old time apprenticeship. I will find my own accommodations, you don't have to give me a pallet in front of the shop fireplace. I am 32, single, diligent, and responsible. I will send references regarding my character if you wish.I am presently located in Northeastern Pennsylvania and would be willing to travel. My email is listed below as well as a contact #. Thank you for considering my request.I look forward to hearing from you and to a potential mutually profitable arrangement.

Marc Nicoloudis
(916)859-0665
theargentlantern@yahoo.com

Techman

There are several sign makers around you. Gino is one that comes to mind. There are several others member in PA.

marcrunner

Thanks everyone. I have visited Dan's site before, amazing work. I will surely see if he has any ideas for me. Techman, do you know how to contact Gino? I am currently working with Vectric Aspire. I love the software, just need some hands on/field experience. Reinventing the wheel every night is making my head hurt! Thanks again-Marc

iSign

I'm not as advanced as Dan by any means... but I live in a cool place... well a warm cool place... and would be interested in discussing what we could do for each other. I've run my CNC for 3 years, large format printer for 7 years & basic shop ownership for 15 years... doing signs for21 years... so I'm no Dan Sawatzky (yet :wink:) but no slouch either...

W

www.esigns.com

As mentioned Dan Sawhathisname...just kidding Dan Sawatzky owner of the Imagination Corporation is a heck of a dimensional sign maker and he also offers workshops as mentioned.

Isign above ... wow what an opportunity you can even get in a few surf sessions..can I come too?

I would encourage you to talk with Signmaniac, I see he has asked you a question above. there are few in the trade that know as much as he does..he has forgot more than most of us have learned.

Dimensional signs is a pretty broad term, I would encourage you to do some searching and really identify what you want to learn. There are companies that specialize in environmental graphics, architectural signage, themed environments, tactile/ada..and the list goes on.

Also there are many people who have taught themselves to make signs (all kinds of signs) and many put out a very pleasing sign to look at that gets the job done but sometimes they have not picked up some of the 'tricks of the trade' that can save you a tremendous amount of time/work/etc.

you may also want to talk to mrChips, he is not a cnc sign maker but an honest to goodness handcarved sign maker who is a master of his craft. it would be time well spent just to study his work.

I would also encourage you to review signs101's very own "signmeup" who is an incredible dimensional sign maker...he's an incredible signmaker all the way around, but does great dimensional work without a router, but I think you will learn a lot by studying his work and he is a heck of a nice guy should you have any questions, just by careful he is a black belt be on your best behavior ;) or wait he's Canadian behavioUr , here's a link to one of his threads that comes to mind http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82626

good luck on your quest.
dan@esigns.com

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the vote Tech, but CNC's.... I have little to no experience. A little hand carving, but Dan or Bob in mars would be his best start.

Other areas, we can handle. Hope he likes to drink !! That's a definite prerequisite.

Oh.... and by the way.....welcome from PA.....................................

Techman

From what he posted he wants the total package. Not just cnc work.
The fabrication and painting etc...

The cnc part is easy enough it is the other parts that make up a good sign. That is why I mentioned talking to some local guys.

Also people should look at this guys work too. There are guys around that are good and also tech and share..

http://www.oxenhamdesign.com

http://fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com/

I am planning to attend a 3 day camp this summer with this guy,

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If you want the total package there are 3 areas you're going to need to learn:

Design ... if you have a cnc router, CAD and 3d design software (maya, softimage, lightwave, 3d studio max ... heck even google sketchup) should be your first step. Also concentrate on your design skills, learn what looks good 2d as well as 3d. and for the love of all that is unholy ... learn to draw. doesn't need to be perfect ... but learn to be able to draw what you see in your head and what is in front of you. It will save you about 4 years of struggling.

Hand Skills ... software does not a designer make. if you're going to try your hand at doing anything that dan does ... learn to hand carve and see things you physically can draw with pen and paper in the round. That means ... get foam and start carving ... starting out ... I would suggest floral foam ... it's easier to cut and to work with ... and when your done ... you can either keep the example by throwing some fiberglass resin on it ... or toss it ... clay is also a useful tool ... start with a large section and work in a subtractive method (only removing) and see where you can go. ..... if your lucky, after 6 months of diligence in just hand carving you'll see some skill start to develop.

mechanical fabrication. don't be tied to your cnc machine. Learn to weld, learn to cast, learn to vacuum form, learn to paint INCREDIBLY well.

I wish you luck.