• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Approximate Cost For Flex Faces

grafixemporium

Trying to find out an approximate cost to replace full color print flex faces in a 20'x10' cabinet about 15' off the ground. Alse need a guesstimate on replacing all the wiring, balasts, fixtures and bulbs in the cabinet. Just ballpark the retail pricing please. I have no basis for comparison, so I want to see how the pricing I was given stands up. We don't do this kind of work. Thanks!

Andrew

grafixemporium

It's an old sign. The cabinet and retainers are in great shape. However, at least half the lights are out. I highly doubt it's just bulbs. I'm sure some ballasts are dead too. So, the customer and I figured it's probably best to get a worst case scenario cost to gut it and then see how it looks after cracking it open. If it doesn't require and entire overhaul, then maybe he'll save a few bucks. So that's what I'm asking... a worst case scenario.

As far as number of bulbs and ballasts... I have no clue. If you are a sign builder, quote whatever you would recommend to adequately light a 20'x10' cabinet with full color flex faces. You would be starting from scratch with a clean cabinet. The numbers I have are based on 20 bulbs. No idea if that's a good number.

signage

How long do you think it would take you to do this work?

ting that would be needed is wire, sockets, ballasts, possibly some aluminum, teck screw, misc. electrical items. Mark them up as you normally do and you have the figures.

How long it takes me is not the same amount of time it is going to take you!

metrodave

That sign may not even have one flourescent lamp. I have worked on plenty of flex face signs with metal halide bulbs in them. I hope you or someone checked the sign before giving the price. A 2 lamp ballast for metal halide might knock your socks off if you never bought one and you might need 10 of them.

grafixemporium

Wow. Didn't think this was going to be this complicated. The question seemed simple enough.

We are a wrap shop. We do not do electrical signs. I, personally, am not going to touch this sign. I'm doing the legwork for a very good customer of mine. He wants to update his sign that hasn't been touched in at least 12 years. I'm comparing estimates and was asking for some input from you guys on what you think this job should cost. I have no idea how long this job should take signage... that's why I'm asking. What would you estimate this job at if you were quoting it? I don't care what kind of bulbs are in it right now metrodave. I'm asking for someone to give me an estimate to GUT the sign and light it however they want... so the finished product is the brightest sign around.

If it helps, here's a picture of the sign in its current condition.

So, simple question...

If you are an experienced sign fabricator, what would you estimate this sign rehab to cost?

(2) New Full Color Flex Faces 20' x 10'
New Wiring In Cabinet Down to Stub Out Below Sign
New Ballasts, Fixtures, Bulbs, etc to Update Sign To Your Specs

I don't need you to question why he wants to replace the wiring and all the fixtures. I simply need to know how much it would all cost if you were quoting it.

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• ColorfulEnviro Sign v2.jpg
    ColorfulEnviro Sign v2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

FS-Keith

probably about as much as a new cabinet...btw did you measure that thing? sure doesnt looks like 10'x20' to me

grafixemporium

Wow, nevermind. I've got it taken care of. Typical S101 personalities around here. Must have something to do with the supermoon.

cdiesel

If everyone here just answered the direct question being asked, people would never learn. You asked a question that obviously has more than one answer (hence you having to compare estimates). If there was a 2 + 2 answer, all of the estimates you receive would have been the same.

grafixemporium

Thanks diesel, but I didn't ask for a "philosophy of economics in the sign industry" lesson today. I asked for some rough pricing on a very specific thing. It's not that complicated. If you don't have an anwer, just go on about your business and ignore the thread.

iSign

You asked other to do your work for you...

Do your own work, come back here... Type out everything you learned to benefit those behind you... And then ask those ahead of you to second guess your work...

Typical lazyass sense of entitlement n00bs....

Get the hell up there, take the retainer off, look inside, measure, photograph and then you are in a position to ask for help

go ahead mods leave this lazyass post up so if nothing else, people can learn how to earn their handouts

grafixemporium

Another typical S101 jackass. I'm not a noob. I'm simply not a licensed sign electrician. It would be illegal for me to crack open the sign and it would be unethical for me to give my client advise on electrical issues.

I'm a member of S101 because I'm in the sign and printing industry. I don't work on electrical signs. Is that a crime? Is it so wrong for me to come here looking for advice on something that we do not do?

If you care to read back through all of my posts, you'll find a number of threads where I offer my opinions and advise on matters that I am an expert on.

Lazy? Are you f'ing kidding me? I work my ass off 80 hours a week because we are flooded with work. So we don't do electrical signs. Get over it. I'm trying to help out a customer who does a great deal of other printing with us. Would you not do the same? Would you tell your customer to take a hike? I seriously doubt it.

THIS is precisely why I didn't renew my membership here Fred... if you're reading. It's not an issue of the $50. It's an issue of the morons that have nothing better to do with their lives that to get on here day in and day out and bash the shit out of honest, hard working members. You gonna give iSign an "infraction" and a stern private email? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I took a hiatus from S101 for a while for a reason. I came back recently to see if anything had changed around here. Clearly not. You guys are just unbelievable. You'd make your mothers proud.

signage

Wow, nevermind. I've got it taken care of. Typical S101 personalities around here. Must have something to do with the supermoon.

These type of responses are becoming the norm if we do not take ones hand and explain the whole job to them. Like the old saying goes you can give some one a fish or you can show them (teach them) how to fish!

grafixemporium

WTF are you talking about?? I didn't ask for anyone to hold anyone's hand. Please point out where I did. Read back though my posts and find what I asked for. A rough price. That's all I asked for. A rough price. It's as simple as that. A rough price. I laid out all the basic information anyone would need to offer a rough price. In fact, I provided all the same information to a few local sign builders and was dealt with respectfully and given a rough price. I certainly did not have to deal with the attitudes that fly so freely here.

signage

You got estimates are they not rough prices?

You wanted us to tell you what we would charge for doing a job we did not even do a survey on!

grafixemporium

I don't want you to tell me anything Brian. I said I had it handled. But you can't leave it alone can you. Just gotta get your jabs in.

signage

No you are the one that can not leave it alone! You are the one that want to keep getting his last jab in. I am through with you! Good luck with an attitude like you have!