• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are sign professionals just giving up?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You remind me that I'm glad I'm not a full time designer anymore. Now that I'm on my own and I'm a one man band, it's so much more enjoyable to me to have varaition in my day... Little designing, little production, little ...or actually alot of installing.

After I left working for a sign company where I spend 8 hours a day on the computer, I went and worked for an IT company and spend 8 to 10 hours a day on the computer. That kind of work is not natural for a human and I'm glad I only have to be infront of it 2-3 hours a day now. Physicaly working and being outside and coming home exhausted is what keeps me happy, along with other activities we won't mention.

If that works for you, then I think it's great. I also believe sitting in front of a desk all day is unnatural, but the topic is more relating to doing/getting better design/sign work. Since Neato's business is partly design related, partly craftsmen related, I'm thinking he's trying to find some balance between desk related work and craftsmen related work - at the higher end. I geared my answers toward his particular situation, not mine. I get frustrated all the time with the level of work that comes across my desk that I have to polish up.

Wait! You were a full-time designer at a sign shop? Out of curiosity, before starting your shop, how many years had you been in the business? I just assumed you were self taught.

We do go out on the field and slap some signs up, but the bulk of the work we design is large project signage... apartments, retail, corporate. I also have a few sign shops clients and do overflow work and design whatever they can not do in-house, like code related signage they have no experiencing in, or higher end design their designers are not able to do... no off-the shelf stuff. Though our business is pretty much design only, I can relate to the struggle Neato is going through. 8-10 hours of doing crap is no fun at all. During work hours, when the work does suck, we go to a movie, out to eat, shake it off at the gym, I come here and torture you fine people. We also rework our site(s) add work, work on passion projects and now collecting old work to sell. But the fact is, in order to get better work, you have to show better work and present it to people who will pay for it.

The nature of a person wanting to do good work in this business is frustrating. I sometimes envy people who do the time and say "good enough" Most of us want the 8-10 hours a day to have some satisfaction for the time and effort we put into it.

Last edited:

equippaint

Like my signature has said, since day one.......

Everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink.

Now....... on to what others are spouting about.

Actually, also as I've often said, I never said I was a good Christian, but I am a Christian.

So, would you support a Muslim president if one ran for election ??
Do you acknowledge or celebrate Christmas or Easter ??
Why is it a self-proclaimed atheist has the need to always discuss their so-called non-belief with a religious person ??
Do you feel spiritual rather than religious ??
Why is it, most places on earth believe in God, than don't ??
What or why do you feel threatened by religious people ??
Are you still looking for the bones of our ancestors and coming up empty ??

As for ability, here we go again..... whose pecker is bigger ??​
I think people today are too quick to wear their differences as a badge of honor, politics, religion, sexual preferences, nationalities etc etc. People need to be more modest and quit broadcasting their private lives to the public. I think that we would all be in a better place if we concentrated on respecting that not everyone is accepting of everything rather than trying to cram whatever beliefs and lifestyles we hold down others throats. It cuts both ways too.
Many people really embrace religion and I would never want to take that feeling and security people get from it no matter what I believe. I'm talking about all religions, not just ones that are USA approved.

So, would you support a Muslim president if one ran for election ?? Religion should never come into play with respect to politics, it goes against our Constitution in the USA. So I would or wouldnt depending on everything else except their religion.
Do you acknowledge or celebrate Christmas or Easter ?? It has become tradition and non-religious people celebrate it for that. To deny it would be making a public stand against others personal beliefs and goes against what I said above
Why is it a self-proclaimed atheist has the need to always discuss their so-called non-belief with a religious person ?? Its never 1 sided, you have to give respect to get respect
Do you feel spiritual rather than religious ?? I talk to myself, especially when Im mad. Is that spiritual?
Why is it, most places on earth believe in God, than don't ?? It has nothing to do with nothing.
What or why do you feel threatened by religious people ?? I dont feel threatened by anyone.
Are you still looking for the bones of our ancestors and coming up empty ?? I spend too much time looking for my car keys in the morning

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wait! You were a full-time designer at a sign shop? Out of curiosity, before starting your shop, how many years had you been in the business? I just assumed you were self taught.

At age 18, I moved to Texas and started working at a small sign shop for about 4 years. I went to a quick "Sign School" in Springfield, MO and then started work. I started out doing design and production because the owner of the new sign shop wasn't a computer person. As the business grew and we hired more people, my scope of work narrowed down to just taking orders, designing and sending them to production.. computer and phone all day was not me so I left. During that time I took graphic art classes, went to seminars, read sign design books and "self-taught" during my tenure there.

I don't like the thought of having to design something, and I procrastinate starting a job that I know I have to come up with a design. Once I get a design done I feel proud and accomplished because I spend a good amount of time on it.. but of the whole process of sign making, I like the customer interaction part, and installing the best. (Along with collecting $$) Guess that's why I mostly gravitate to jobs where I'm the subbed installer.. I get to cut out all the parts of the sign making process I don't like and just preform the task I want.

When I was working at the other sign company, I hated that my roll and talent was on the computer running the shop. I really wanted to go out and be onsite all day playing with bucket trucks and cranes and the challenges of doing installs. I hated going into a climate-controlled box of a shop at dawn, sitting at a stupid chair and desk all day, getting up only to pee, and then leaving as the sun was going down to go to a gym and "work out" my natural energy that I spent all day sitting on. Yup, not a healthy life for me... I like now that I come home exhausted, stinking all to hell and ready to collapse..THAT is how man should come home.

Last edited:

TimToad

Man! you are really a Mean Old Man. And also so full of yourself. I wrote out a bunch of stuff on here and then realized it was a waste of time talking to you. You're better than me at everything with your God-given talents.
equippaint is right, Hooker talk is more interesting

I'll make it real simple and easy for you to understand for the umpteenth time.

You'll notice that I ONLY respond directly to you AFTER you've referred to, attacked, insulted, mocked, slighted or mischaracterized me. The best way to get me to not be so mean and combative is to simply stop doing all those things and act as if my posts don't exist which is what I'd love to do with your posts.

For the sake of the other members who are also tired of the acrimony, putting each other on IGNORE would be a huge boost to the site's enjoyment for most. Having been a member for years and seen the same behavior day in and day out, you have to assume some responsibility for your role in the perpetuation of a dynamic that limits the site's potential.

You see the complaints, you see the frustration by others, you see the admonishments to keep to the topics and leave the personal attacks out of it. I know the ownership doesn't care what kind of disrespect folks engage in with each other, its all just click counts and site visits to him.

Be the bigger person and learn some impulse control about attacking others who just want to engage their colleagues here without the added negative dynamic you seem unable to resist adding to the mix.

I'm not leaving, not tempering my views, and certainly not going to be intimidated by a couple of hypocrites who act like they own the joint.

Johnny Best

I'll make it real simple and easy for you to understand for the umpteenth time.

You'll notice that I ONLY respond directly to you AFTER you've referred to, attacked, insulted, mocked, slighted or mischaracterized me. The best way to get me to not be so mean and combative is to simply stop doing all those things and act as if my posts don't exist which is what I'd love to do with your posts.

For the sake of the other members who are also tired of the acrimony, putting each other on IGNORE would be a huge boost to the site's enjoyment for most. Having been a member for years and seen the same behavior day in and day out, you have to assume some responsibility for your role in the perpetuation of a dynamic that limits the site's potential.

You see the complaints, you see the frustration by others, you see the admonishments to keep to the topics and leave the personal attacks out of it. I know the ownership doesn't care what kind of disrespect folks engage in with each other, its all just click counts and site visits to him.

Be the bigger person and learn some impulse control about attacking others who just want to engage their colleagues here without the added negative dynamic you seem unable to resist adding to the mix.

I'm not leaving, not tempering my views, and certainly not going to be intimidated by a couple of hypocrites who act like they own the joint.

So why don't you tell me how you really feel.
The way the story went... certain people injected their beliefs in these posts, you, The Toad came in and made a mockery of their beliefs, I made a comment about your beliefs and you unloaded on me telling that you are better than I was, Could not hold your eraser was one comment. We both have the right to post but you think if you show your profound intellect on the group you will win. Well I will tell you what Sweet cheeks I am going to do what your group loves to do, Resist! I will make a drawing for you when I get a chance to brighten your day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao: the joint.

Okay toadster, you win. I give up. There's no s101 without you telling others off. You seem to be the only intelligent person in the whole group. Were you elected Town Crier or were you appointed........ by yourself ??

Why don't you just try to get along ?? Unless you have something worthy of stating, I'd invite you to heed your own advice.

Have a fanfrickintastic day.

Last edited:

visual800

when you have talent, like Amigo, you get frustrated when you cant use that talent in your area. If you want to see some kicka$$ signwork, go on facebook and friend Keene Signworks and House of Signs, these guys are top notch and their design work is off the charts. I would love to say they improve my designs but here is just a waste of time.

The area I live in, this POS city, does not appreciate good design work. They do not give 3 damns what you design. They will take an absolute classy, good looking, legible sign and destroy it with their pinterest ridden crap or use that other sign company that does less expensive work and has no design qualities.

I use to spend ours doing design work, doing logos and just being inspired to get up and go to work. I am not inspired any longer and have not been in the past 5 years, my biz phones are only telemarketing calls. Any logos Im asked to do is counteracted with their google image searches. Contractors are for the most part doing their own sign with plastic crap they order from Gemini. Its terrible here

Johnny Best

Have seen the great sign layouts Visual800 has drawn. Keep the faith that things might change in your area or maybe you might move where you are appreciated.

neato

Hey Neato (and other frustrated designers) I saw this a few weeks ago and should have posted this here...

This is not totally new information (for me) but if you want to design certain work, start doing it now and attract the clients you are looking for.... increase your potential for new work...

Just got around to watching this video this morning. Fantastic info. It's really nothing earth shattering, but it's motivating to hear it from a successful designer. Thanks for posting that Rick.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Hacks walk all over the professionals who are dedicated to the industry. In my shop the saying is: “if you are not in this business, stay out of this business”. Too many “brokers” without a clue trying to make a buck in this industry with little design knowledge or experience.

If you want in on this kind of business, you need to work at a reputable shop and become a journeyman. Be a pro for a few years and learn what this business is before striking out on your own and trying to water it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk