• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

are warranties worth it in your opinion?

MikeD

Do you buy extended warranties for your JV33 printers?
On a 2yr old JV33, I was offered an extended warranty for $3500.00.

I am thinking that the only real problem I could have that I would want warrantied would be a print head, and that cost about the same as the warranty. The print head should last more than the 2yr warranty.

Am I missing any potential problems that may happen that would cost enough to make a $3500 warranty cost effective?

Does it make sense to buy the warranty to you?

Thanks for your insight and opinions!

CS-SignSupply-TT

MikeD, as long as you have seen the Mimaki JV33 print to your satisfaction, go for it! If you are willing to "...go under the hood..." and do the work yourself, you do NOT need the $3500 warranty.

ChicagoGraphics

There a waste of money, put the money aside and if a problem arises use that money. More then likely if you bought the extended Warranty you won't end up using it at all.

anotherdog

A warranty is insurance, Insurance needs to make a profit so on average they pay out less than they take in. The premiums will reflect that.

I was in an electronics store and they offered me extended warranty on a pack of AA batteries for 40 cents!

Only insure things you can't afford to repace... Life Income House and Auto

tsgstl

A warranty is insurance, Insurance needs to make a profit so on average they pay out less than they take in. The premiums will reflect that.

I was in an electronics store and they offered me extended warranty on a pack of AA batteries for 40 cents!

Only insure things you can't afford to repace... Life Income House and Auto

+1

I have a buddy that pays $25 insurance on $75 electronics all the time
him and his wife wonder why they have both filed for bankruptcy

MikeD

Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking it was a waste of money, but it's easier to make the decision now that I have the valued opinions of other people in the field.
Thanks again!

booshworks

18 years I've been in the print business, I've never bought an extended warranty. Ever. Never paid-per-click, never paid-per-foot, never paid-per-month.

I've saved 6 figures avoiding it, and put the cash of the cost of warranties into a nest egg to repair it myself or replace it.

The only machine I've not been able to fix is the Canon IRC color copiers -- they're a nightmare of cables and motherboards, no one can figure them out properly. All the wide format machines are relatively easy to maintain and fix, you just need to get your hands dirty.