• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you guys finding it harder and harder to actually talk to a customer?

Bly

I prefer all work communications to be by email, especially relating to orders.
Then there's no "but you said" arguments afterwards.
We all know who wins those... the customer.

Butch Miller

I prefer email in order to have proof of communication. Even after a phone conversation i will follow up with confirmation email. When i need a response and don’t receive one I will hold off on the project, Don’t have time for those who take their order or my time seriously.

I understand with large corp'ns, that trying to track an individual down can be quite exhausting, but I now find this seems to be a trend with smaller companies as well. Nobody wants to pick up a phone!!! I find that emailing can be such a slow process when you are trying to keep your production schedule on track. Simple questions get ignored in emails, or it takes far too long for them to get back to you.

Perfect case in point.... Get an email from a regular customer requiring a 4 X 4 coro sign, rush naturally......simple directional copy for a construction project. Somebody picks it up on Friday and says that they should have ordered 2. I told him no problem, I will call and get the OK and it would be ready Monday morning for pickup

I call but get voice mail so decide to email. Wait an hour and then I get a thank you I screwed up reply Yes Monday morning would be great response....

I change a small portion of my Friday afternoon to get it done.

Monday morning no one shows up. I decide to call...I go through the most insane automated operator and I hit just about every extension to find anybody...NOTHING!!!. I hang up and say F&^%& it. The girl who normally emails me is on holidays, so I keep getting a vacation alert email back.... Today is Friday...sign still sitting here.......

This is just one of so many customers that refuse to talk on the phone. Email is great, but not when I need answers fast. There really is no excuse to make communication so hard. I answer the phone when it rings and if I can't get to it or on another line I pick up the messages and I get back to them asap, or at least try to.

Just my Friday morning rant....

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Easy technique we use that builds “modern day” relationships and communication/access. When you get a new customer find them on social media and become friends. It’s slightly stalkerish but builds the relationship/loyalty and creates another communication point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsItFasst

Every day for me: Customer sends an inquiry with minimal details. So I ask say 5 questions. They respond with 1 answer. So I reply back with the other 4 questions again. Get 1 answer. So I reply back with the last 3 questions then they get another idea that brings my total questions to beyond the original 5. Repeat process...until I die.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Really nice. Just, really nice.

Ya know, it would take an idiot not to see he left an open liner there, but you hadda be the jacka$$ who took the bait. Figures.

Way to got toadster..... just flush another one down the toilet.​

DerbyCitySignGuy

I prefer email in order to have proof of communication. Even after a phone conversation i will follow up with confirmation email. When i need a response and don’t receive one I will hold off on the project, Don’t have time for those who take their order or my time seriously.

Definitely a good move. I always do the same thing.

"Per our phone conversation today..."

TimToad

Really nice. Just, really nice.

Ya know, it would take an idiot not to see he left an open liner there, but you hadda be the jacka$$ who took the bait. Figures.

Way to got toadster..... just flush another one down the toilet.​

Only problem with your theory is that you and the poster who took it political are the only members unable to stay on topic. If you look at who "flushed it down the toilet first" that would be the poster I responded to with a dose of fact-based evidence. In your case, you've kept the distraction going even AFTER being asked by the admin to stop.

Until you are able to rise above and end your own double standards and hypocrisy, keep your judgements about others out of it.

TimToad

At least Gino made me laugh by quietly "agreeing" with that post. Lol. In all seriousness I'M not a big fan of Toad.

Then you have no sense of humor as it was completely meant as tongue in cheek humor that opened the door for. See that little winky emogee after my text? Like when a person cracks a joke and winks at you afterward?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At least Gino made me laugh by quietly "agreeing" with that post. Lol. In all seriousness I'M not a big fan of Toad.

In all fairness, this is about the last place to make into a popularity contest poll. No one comes here to run for president or some office in government. We come here to speak out about our industry and help those who are willing to help themselves.... or at least, that's my take on this place. Not being liked, means nothing. People disagreeing with me all the time..... that's their choice.

While publicly addressing liking or not liking someone is most of the time, its really a waste of time. If one can't figure out who likes who or not, so what. However, I don't think you're alone on that one. :thumb:

Johnny Best

I am not sticking up for the Toad but I think he was trying to be funny. But it came across as bob describes as Bandicoot smegma.
I understand the Toad, but hey, I like to watch Rachel Maddow.

Marlene

How do we expect to communicate with our customers when it seems nearly impossible to have a simple chat with each other.

I too prefer e-mails as the customer can read them when they have the time. A phone call is like jumping in front of their face and forcing them to drop everything to talk to you. What bothers me these days is I'll make a list of questions I need answered with a space below each for an answer. Most get it and will answer all the questions. I had one last week where I needed to know which option they wanted to go with and what size, color and such. I got back an e-mail that said "that would be nice". I have no idea what I was suppose to do with that answer. I had to resend the first one again and finally after way too much work, I got an answer.

With customer's I'll cut them a break if they don't answer right off. It is with vendors that I have a problem not getting an answer back.

Johnny Best

Led Zeppelin makes it sound better, just came on Pandora.
"Communication breakdown
It's always the same
I'm having a nervous breakdown
Drive me insane!"

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

equippaint

This mess here is a perfect example of the major flaw in written communication. With no inflection or visual tones, its easy to misread the writers actual intention. You also don't get selling cues, or the little looks when someone does not like your ideas. Emojis don't help much either.

WildWestDesigns

With no inflection or visual tones, its easy to misread the writers actual intention.

I would say that's actually reflective of not even using passable sentence structure.

I'm not talking Pulitzer level material, but something that doesn't leave ambiguity on what is said.

You also don't get selling cues, or the little looks when someone does not like your ideas.

That could work both ways and be a pro as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is, kind of ashame, that...... here we are in a communications type of business, both visual and in written form and basically only a few people can get their point(s) across. From grammar, to poor spelling to punctuation and the list goes on, but no one has the time to do it correctly. Which in turn, leaves the viewer guessing..... which when it comes to us, who do this for a living, can't do it..... why expect the customer to do it ??

Silly icons and double entendres don't mean d!ck, especially if ya can't say it face to face, so you can see in real life the very intentions of the words.