• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you guys finding it harder and harder to actually talk to a customer?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wow, all interesting points of views. Some thoughts (admittedly from an old guy):
1) Where have I been? I thought we were still blaming Bush for the ills of the world.
2) I prefer phone calls. I can get right to what my customer needs faster than exchanging emails. For example--"I need a wooden sign that rolls up" (i.e. they want a banner--they thought all signs were wood); conversely, "I need a banner that is really stiff for my building" (ended up with an ACM panel).
Or the classic response to my email where I sent multiple designs and asked them which they wanted me to produce and how many: "They look great!"
3) I should get used to texting, but I'm not doing that while driving, and I can type with 10 fingers faster than I can text with 2. Plus I don't want my clients to have my cell #, because they think I'm open for business 24 hrs/day (I'm not; if you are get me the name of your shrink).
4) Anyone been able to hire a person who doesn't spend every idle moment typing away on their cell?
5) The reason clients have no respect for your time is because they don't know how to place any value on their own time. Many of my friends will drive all over town shopping for groceries to save a few dollars. If you account for maintenance, gas, and your time you rarely come out ahead. I had a doctor come in on a Wed afternoon (he doesn't work then) asking about exam room number signs for his small office. Started with some handsome architectural units, ended up recommending bending pvc in an "L" and putting the number on it, then sticking it on the wall with tape. Still too expensive ($14 ea), he was going to look around.

Just *****in'...

I like grocery shopping now. Pull up to Walmart and let them load and go.

gabagoo

The sign was picked up exactly 2 weeks later ( 4 days after I posted the thread) he only person I could communicate with finally returned from vacation and apologized for not having someone pick it up. The guy who picked it up is a site supervisor and tells me he needs 2 more with the arrows going the opposite way. Oh boy...here we go again.. lol

I would like to say that I too love email as it gives me a trail to follow for all sorts of situations, but sometimes you just need to speak to someone when you are racing against the clock and can't get answers electronically.