• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you superstitious at work?

btropical.com

On a window tint home jobs/commercial the box of material never leaves the job until the last piece is cut squeegeed and carded ,only then can you load it into the van

1leonchen

if i get some one to help me install a sign and i say pack up the tools.if i don't check off Evey piece of tool before i leave they will always be on the job site. guaranteed.and it will always be the most expensive tool.

if i let some one install vinyl on the job site it will get messed up
and if i go buy my self every thing works out fine.

and if u are in a rush i will be stuck in traffic.

RebeckaR

If I'm cutting a job and have barely enough material to complete it, I stand and watch the cutter until it is done.
Even though the plotter tracks true and hardly ever gives me any problems, if I leave the room for any reason, inevitably the cutter will become an instrument of evil and eat that last precious piece of vinyl.

anotherdog

Always count to 5 before pressing the OK button on Versaworks...otherwise it will lock up and need a resart.

Never walk away from printing banner...adhesive is good but banner is plain evil. It will buckle and headstrike if you turn your back.

SebastienL

Add one here for the Olfa knife in the pocket thing. Same for the tape measurer. Even though there are several lying around the shop, i can only work with mine.

If I miss a day's work and someone worked on my computer, I am completely loss the next morning. Even if they didn't even save anything on my computer, I know somebody worked on my computer and for some reason, that completely throws me off balance.

This is probebly not superstition but 4 day weeks are the longest...

JR's

if i'm cutting a job and have barely enough material to complete it, i stand and watch the cutter until it is done.
Even though the plotter tracks true and hardly ever gives me any problems, if i leave the room for any reason, inevitably the cutter will become an instrument of evil and eat that last precious piece of vinyl.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

JR's

I never put away my vinyl until everything is successfully weeded and masked.
If going out on an install, and I have the extra material, I will either cut an extra set or just bring the material.
Everything will go fine then.
But if I only take what I need, I know damn well I will screw up a letter, usually while the customer watches.
I always carry a small tape measure in my purse because I am paranoid about not having one, and if I don't have one that's the time I really needed it and substituted a dollar bill (if I had one) to measure something.
There are a few items in my painting kit that I probably haven't used in over 10 years, but if I didn't leave them in there I'd need them.
I also have some pounce patterns nearly 25 years old.
Not sure is it's superstition or Murphy's Law.
Love....Jill

when we were slow we would throw away some pounce patterns. and in a couple of days the company's would come in for some work, and it seemed what thy need is what we throe out.

JR

mark in tx

Not a superstition, but whenever I try to tape vinyl in front of anyone that works at another sign shop, I will always screw it up.

Marie

If I think of a customer who hasn't ordered in a while, they will call. If I put a big stack of old estimates in the "no" box, I'll get at least two calls in a few days from someone who is finally ready to order. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time thinking about olf customers and often put estimates in the "no" box really fast.

GypsyGraphics

Wasn't going to tell you this... because i know it's going to sound really dumb to most of you... but...

i don't like being paid 100% up front. so far, seems to me, clients who decides to do that, against my 50% deposit policy... seems to create in their minds an expectation of being my top priority (wrong). it also seems to give them the impression that no matter what happens in the course of their project, the amount they paid covers the job. (wrong again)

last time it happened... i told the guy i didn't like to work that way and he actually said this "well i do, it makes you beholding to me."
i said "hm interesting theory" but what i was thinking was "oh yeah, well your not the boss of me pal"... oddly enough, his job took twice as long as he expected.

signgal

Wasn't going to tell you this... because i know it's going to sound really dumb to most of you... but...

i don't like being paid 100% up front.

OMG I that is not dumb at all, GG! I thought this was a fun little thread but couldn't think of any weird little quirks or superstitions I have around here until you said that! I've kind of gotten past it, only because if they are paying with a credit card, I don't want to pay for 2 charges but on the whole, I am not comfortable with complete payment up front. Something always happens! LOL we're too alike, GG... scary stuff!

blueben

my knife has to be with me at all times. First thing in the morning when I get dressed, it is the first thing I put in my pocket. Followed by my 6' tape. Many times this has been an issue at the airport. I have probably paid around $20 - $25 just to ship it back to my house in the past year or so just so I didnt have to throw it away. I think I am on the "permanently check for weapons" list at the airport.