• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arial missing...

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have installed and re-installed and verified that it's a clean copy and still... I have no arial...

Normally I wouldn't complain... been this way for a couple months, but heck - who really NEEDS arial... right????

But it won't display at all... in any Adobe program including reader (Illy, Photoshop, Acrobat). Will work in other programs. When I try to use in Illy it just displays nothing but will come up in the type menu as Arial.

When I look at my fonts folder, it's a .ttf extension, but the icon keeps displaying as an open face font...

Any help would be appreciated. I hate being forced to use CorelDraw because of one little job... and would really like to figure out what's going on here.

I am using CS2 and Reader 7 on a Windows XP system.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And I thought you bought a new vehicle without an antenna and you couldn't get any local stations............. :doh:

Hope ya get it fixed. :thumb:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Can't tell you where to look but it sounds like an automatic font substitution issue in your Adobe preferences where it is using Helvetica in place of Arial. Also check how many fonts you have installed. Font menus get dicey when you get up around 700 to 800 fonts installed.

Bigdawg

Just Me
There's 350 fonts installed - I'm pretty good about keeping those trimmed down. No font substitution that I can see, but I do have Helvetica (many versions :smile:).

I remember back on the mac... many years ago... there was some kind of font table? font list? or something that adobe referred to and if it got corrupted you had to delete it and let it rebuild itself.... is there anything like that on the PC that anyone knows of?

oakcitysigns

Silly question, but did you try restarting Illustrator after re-installing font? I know I have to restart Illustrator before newly installed fonts are available.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've restarted... totally unloaded Arial... shut down... loaded a new copy... from a couple different sources... relaunched and still...

no arial :-(

Roen

I recently had a similar problem (which I believe stemmed from my usage of the Bitstream Font Navigator that came with Corel X4), where all my fonts would load, save a few key ones like Arial.

The only way I was able to fix it was through stop using that program and by ceaselessly playing around with my font folder (deleting unused fonts and the like).

I looked up the issue and apparently the only two ways microsoft recommends restoring your basic fonts is by reinstalling Windows XP in its entirety or by actually going in through command prompt, using your Windows XP cd and by reloading the fonts manually.

Either way, its a pain. Best of luck, I know I beat my head against the desk over this repeatedly.

- Roen

GB2

Old Member
Stacy...follow this procedure:

Delete Adobefnt.lst files.
Search your system drive for "Adobefnt*.lst" to find all Adobe CoolType font list files (for example, Adobefnt05.lst, Adobefnt10.lst).
Delete all found files, and then restart the Adobe application.

PMG

Can't tell you where to look but it sounds like an automatic font substitution issue in your Adobe preferences where it is using Helvetica in place of Arial. Also check how many fonts you have installed. Font menus get dicey when you get up around 700 to 800 fonts installed.
i have over 2500 in my windows system and have had O problem with my fonts in adobe or flexi........

Ken

Well, sorry to say...BUT Arial is my MAIN font for clarity on just about any sign that needs legible typesetting...either Arial normal, bold or Arial Black...which I depend on a LOT. I ran into something similar a while back..when I didn't have any of the Helvetica fonts...where did they go???
Cheers!
Ken

Techman

i have over 2500 in my windows system and have had O problem with my fonts in adobe or flexi........

Yes, but it is a drain on resources.. Every font has a listing in the registry. The registry is a database and every time something access this data base it has to index every single font.

Ken

Yes..we COULD keep our unnecessay fonts in a folder called " extra fonts"....just right click on the fonts in that folder....and you can bring up the image...Drag and Drop...
Keep your fonts to a minimum in Windows.
Cheers !
Ken

PMG

Yes, but it is a drain on resources.. Every font has a listing in the registry. The registry is a database and every time something access this data base it has to index every single font.
like i said i have had no issues at all......i did have issues pre XP...but Xp and vista i have no issues.................

Replicator

here's one way to see if you've got it and it works !

1. load a font you'll never use.
2. Design something in Illy using that font and save the file.
3. Unload that font.
4. Launch the file and when it asks for replacement choose arial permanently (if it's in the list)

That may at least tell you if the font is there !

Replicator

Yes, but if you use a program, i;e. FontExport, FontNav, etc and load and unload fonts constantly,

are there not still residual registry entries burdening the system resources continually ?

Bigdawg

Just Me
I tried Gary's tip... didn't work....

I did just notice when I look at the fonts in the font folder, under Attributes they are the only ones that have a A in that column... anyone know what that means??

tcorn1965

R = Read-Only: Most software, when seeing a file marked read-only, will refuse to delete or modify it. This is pretty straight-forward. For example, DOS will say "Access denied" if you try to delete a read-only file. On the other hand, Windows Explorer will happily munch it. Some will choose the middle ground: they will let you modify or delete the file, but only after asking for confirmation.

H = Hidden: This one is pretty self-explanatory as well; if the file is marked hidden then under normal circumstances it is hidden from view. DOS will not display the file when you type "DIR" unless a special flag is used, as shown in the earlier example.

S = System: This flag is used to tag important files that are used by the system and should not be altered or removed from the disk. In essence, this is like a "more serious" read-only flag and is for the most part treated in this manner.

D = Directory: This is the bit that differentiates between entries that describe files and those that describe subdirectories within the current directory. In theory you can convert a file to a directory by changing this bit. Of course in practice, trying to do this would result in a mess--the entry for a directory has to be in a specific format.

A = Archive: This is a special bit that is used as a "communications link" between software applications that modify files, and those that are used for backup. Most backup software allows the user to do an incremental backup, which only selects for backup any files that have changed since the last backup. This bit is used for this purpose. When the backup software backs up ("archives") the file, it clears the archive bit (makes it zero). Any software that modifies the file subsequently, is supposed to set the archive bit. Then, the next time that the backup software is run, it knows by looking at the archive bits which files have been modified, and therefore which need to be backed up. Again, this use of the bit is "voluntary"; the backup software relies on other software to use the archive bit properly; some programs could modify the file without setting the archive attribute, but fortunately most software is "well-behaved" and uses the bit properly. Still, you should not rely on this mechanism absolutely to ensure that your critical files are backed up.