• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlo Needs An Entire Body Transplant!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

You fine folks have stood by me thru at least half of my 18 major surgeries over the past 22 years and graciously bailed my family out financially with the most generous outpouring of support I've ever witnessed from total strangers in my life. I've received words of encouragement from literally around the world and had house guest from Australia as a result of people I've met on here (the late, beloved Dave Drane and his wonderful wife Liddy). Here I am again asking for your positive energy to be directed my way. The past several weeks I have had pain that rivals the worst I've had after particularly grueling surgeries. I had an ultrasound on the area of the pain and a two inch diameter mass was detected on my right kidney. I go in tomorrow for a CT scan to get a better look at it, but think I already know what the outcome is going to be because of a close friend who died of kidney cancer and his symptoms. I have been "medically retired" for going on two years now at the age of 58, although you can't tell anything was ever wrong with me by being in my presence and I still function completely normal in all respects.

It may seem weird for someone to say this, but I am not afraid to die. I've already had two younger siblings die from diabetes and heart failure at way too young in ages. Most recently, a favorite first cousin passed who was 3 years younger than me two weeks after being diagnosed with melanoma for the first time. If this is going to kill me, I'll feel like the Universe is getting it right finally. I will not opt for any further surgeries or chemo, just pain management. I will not die in a hospital, but in my own home with my family around me... completely old school in that respect. I've always thought chemo was our closest thing to a medieval practice that I've never seen contribute to anyone's quality of life. I'll go out believing it's been a good ride and that I've produced an incredible legacy thru my children. No regrets. I'll keep ya posted on what I learn.

ThinkRight

Kind thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
I am on the bone marrow transplant list, is there one for kidneys ?

skyhigh

I would hope that you will change your mind about the life saving procedures. Positive thoughts and prayers your way Arlo.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Kind thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
I am on the bone marrow transplant list, is there one for kidneys ?

I may be wrong, but I don't think a transplant is a solution for kidney cancer. Once cancer cells have invaded a part of your body they are usually in other places as well. I doubt they'd waste a donated kidney on a cancer patient since nearly all people who start out with it in the kidneys have it progress to the pancreas and bones in very short order.

SignManiac

Arlo I too would share your outlook if I had been through all you have. For some, death is the reward after a lifetime of pain and suffering. The important thing is as you say, having no regrets. I feel exactly the same way as you do. Knowing you have accomplished the things that matter most is enough to give you complete peace of mind.

Marlene

never give up until the fat lady sings! hang in there Arlo, all the best to you and your family. if the news is bad, do what you need to do but remember where there is life, there is hope.

Craig Sjoquist

Arlo your presence is awesome & hoping for the best, what words are there but I look forward to your posts & listen to your music & wisdom.

Speaking of which any of your music recorded or have I just been missing all ya posted.

webguru

Once cancer cells have invaded a part of your body they are usually in other places as well.

Just my experience.......

Four years ago I was rushed by my wife and son to the ER at 2 A.M. on a monday morning. After a CT scan to make sure the issue was my apendix, the doctor informed my family that it was indeed the apendix rupturing and needed to be removed A.S.A.P.

As a side note just before he abruptly turned and left the room, he said " oh by the way, we found cancer in his right kidney too". Needless to say my wife and son were devestated by this news.

Fast forward to today. I have been without my beloved right kidney for four years and am doing fine. I was fearful as you are that the cancer had moved about freely. Not until I spoke with the surgeon that removed my kidney did I see the brighter side of my situation. Kidney cancer, if caught early enough, will stay confined in the kidney and merely feed off of the blood stream. Much like a leach, cunsuming blood but not recirculating it.

I wish you the best in whatever news you recieve after your test results come back.

Techman

Your dignity in this ordeal is a roll model for us all. I pray that I could have as much as you. I pray you have good news. And, I pray you have the strength and wisdom to l make the best decision that suit your needs.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Just my experience.......

Four years ago I was rushed by my wife and son to the ER at 2 A.M. on a monday morning. After a CT scan to make sure the issue was my apendix, the doctor informed my family that it was indeed the apendix rupturing and needed to be removed A.S.A.P.

As a side note just before he abruptly turned and left the room, he said " oh by the way, we found cancer in his right kidney too". Needless to say my wife and son were devestated by this news.

Fast forward to today. I have been without my beloved right kidney for four years and am doing fine. I was fearful as you are that the cancer had moved about freely. Not until I spoke with the surgeon that removed my kidney did I see the brighter side of my situation. Kidney cancer, if caught early enough, will stay confined in the kidney and merely feed off of the blood stream. Much like a leach, cunsuming blood but not recirculating it.

I wish you the best in whatever news you recieve after your test results come back.

Wow... this is totally in contradiction to everything I have been told before. Like you, it is my right kidney as well. When I had my first surgery as a result of spontaneous massive internal bleeding, they took out my appendix at the same time as the ruptured birth defect in my intestine. A few days later, an oncologist came to my hospital room to tell me how lucky I was. He said my appendix contained a tumor that within a few more years would have been spread throughout my intestines and been inoperable. I wouldn't have made it to 40. Same cancer as killed Michael Landon. I had a liver scan every three months for the next two years to make sure the cancer didn't reappear. I have always expected a return of it in some form and believe its time has come. Your post has given me pause to reconsider my no more surgery decision.

I currently have another incisional herniation on my belly on the incision that has been opened 17 times previously. The last time I had this same hernia and had it fixed the complications led to a 6 month hospital stay where I was unable to eat for an entire year and lived on IV nutrition. Obviously, I don't plan on having this incision disturbed again. A kidney removal would be an entirely different location. The only risk I have is a very compromised immune system and the fact that I always seem to get a horrible infection following the last five surgeries. I'm reconsidering that risk based on your experience with your kidney removal. How are you faring being down to one kidney? Does it pose any risk for you besides the obvious of the hopelessness of kidney failure?

Jack Knight1979

I agree. Keep up the fight man. Here's to hoping it's a cyst or something easily fixed.

My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when I was 4 years old. He had a 5-10% chance of survival. He lived and kicked it's ***.

I had another 14 years with him and I'm grateful everyday for those memories.

If you can beat this, beat it. I can only imagine what you've been through so far, but don't throw in the towel just yet, sir. You have a beautiful family that would love to have you around.

webguru

How are you faring being down to one kidney? Does it pose any risk for you besides the obvious of the hopelessness of kidney failure?

I have had no issues with being down to just one kidney. Regular check ups to make sure all is going well with the other organs.

The owner of the company I work for passed away from the same cancer I had just 3 years prior to my episode. The only difference was his had grown to the point of leaving the kidney. I was told they normally would have tried to just remove the tumor, but due to its size they opted to take the entire organ.

Get the tests done and see what they say. You never know what good things you might hear. I have other health issues and cancer in my family so the "C" word never has held much fear for me. I too informed my family if it ever came back, I would spend my time amongst loved ones VS hospital staff.

Good luck and I pray for a good outcome in your situation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this time.

I might add two things. A very good friend of mine had the same thing, had his one kidney removed and has been normal for the last 20 some years without it.

The second thought is a little gruesome. Going through losing Howard, my 93 year old friend this past spring, lived out his last few months with us as he couldn't take care of himself alone. He didn't want any heroics or any special attention other than pain medicine to keep his sanity. However, he had the insight to look ahead at hospice care as there does come a point when family can't take of you according to your situation. If you.... or anyone..... find yourself in this kinda situation, please make arrangements while you still can do it, for your family's sake. You'll be so glad you did.

Good luck, buddy.......... I know ya can do it :thumb:

Fatboy

You are a big man Arlo and I honestly believe God has a plan with you and will save you for many years to come!

Flame

Arlo, you're a rad guy man. I hope you hang in there bud because I enjoy hearing from you and you're a talented guy who I'm sure still has plenty of time to pass those talents on to others. Hope it goes well tomorrow man.