• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon wrap kit pros & cons

sghobbies

what do you like best about the V3?

I am using v2 and 8518 but wondered what or where is v3 good for. is it a all over or mostly for the more challenging curved stuff?

Thanks

I can't personally say anything about the V2, we have exclusively used oracal until last week. We made the swap t the V3.....OMG. It installs so much easier than oracal. It is super easy to reposition as long as you don't apply much pressure, try that with 3951ra. I have a sample roll of the new 380V3 that I am dying to try.

kustomkoncepts

I hav used

the OLD control tac 5 years ago

Arlon

Mac tac B free

Oracal

then went to 180 V2 and never looked back at the others.

what I found was every other wrap vinyl had such a initial tac that you had to force it so bad except for Mac Crap it does not have any inital or long term tac every thing failed with it I aint' going to start.

3M prints nice laminates nice and install great. I can do a 260" x 54" peice on a whole truck side by myself. no other wraps I have used allow me to work with it so easy.

I just was trying to find out what is the advantage of the V3 over the V2? any one out there used both???

ChiknNutz

Any other comments specifically on the Arlon 6000X and 3220 laminate? I am considering trying this combo, but this thread has a lot of both lovers and haters. I've so far used Oracal 3551RA, some 3951RA and 3M 180C (v1). I typically prefer Oracal products and was not very impressed with the first gen 3M. I applied the 3M to my Dodge tailgate with a very mild recess and never ever could get it to stay put (didn't use Primer 94 cuz I didn't know it was needed). However, the Arlon IS quite a bit less cost so just looking for some more comments on anyone that has used it recently. Thanks.

SE SignSupply

Very nice product, higher initial tack than other wrap products. There will be a V2 shown at ISA which will be called 6000xR (repositionable), should be even better than 6000x.

Any other comments specifically on the Arlon 6000X and 3220 laminate? I am considering trying this combo, but this thread has a lot of both lovers and haters. I've so far used Oracal 3551RA, some 3951RA and 3M 180C (v1). I typically prefer Oracal products and was not very impressed with the first gen 3M. I applied the 3M to my Dodge tailgate with a very mild recess and never ever could get it to stay put (didn't use Primer 94 cuz I didn't know it was needed). However, the Arlon IS quite a bit less cost so just looking for some more comments on anyone that has used it recently. Thanks.

speedmedia

Have to revive this. How have you that have been using Arlon find the success to failure rate it?

I have had several jobs from wraps to print/cut fail lately using the 4560 GTX as well as the 6000X. Anyone else? Edge curling mania.

I had an edge start to curl up on a vehicle last week before the entire install was done. Not very happy!

I am allowing in most cases 24-48 hours for curing before install and that should be more than enough so it can't be that. I have also been very careful cleaning an prepping everything.

How is everyone else doing with it?

Does 3M have a calendared Control Tac vinyl that can be used for partials and print/cut graphics?

Thanks,
Kurt

kustomkoncepts

I have had several jobs from wraps to print/cut fail lately using the 4560 GTX as well as the 6000X. Anyone else? Edge curling mania.

I had an edge start to curl up on a vehicle last week before the entire install was done. Not very happy!

You answered your own question... It fails it curls and is junk!! its not you its your media. 4560 is a callenderd material and should be treated as such. do a print and die cut and leave it on the backing...come back after a few days you will see it shrink and start to curl. it does the same on a vehicle.

Don't do Die cut decals with a wrap vinyl. use permentent adhesion vinyl for that.

die cutting into a decal with a full bleed especially black is hit and miss usually miss. does not matter how long you let it dry it will curl. leave white outlines where the die cut is going or use a edge seal pen to try to make it last longer.

use 4560 for racecars only it is great for Dirt Track cars they only last a few weeks anyways.:rock-n-roll:

chopper

Curious...has anyone used the latest Arlon 6000XRP material yet? Would like to see some reviews if available.

yep,
I like it a lot, wrapped a truck with it no curl back printed nice went on nice
the adhesive is better , easily re positionable,
//chopper

racer67x

Oracal 3621 or 3640 and 210 lam, prints awesome haven't had any issues with the dirt cars at all.
I'm going to take your advice and try these materials..have been decaling racecars for 10 years with vinyl and just getting into wraps.
still have alot to learn,lol
:)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
With the the vinyl & overlam, The .27¢ difference per sq. ft. of Arlon vs. 3M just isn't worth switching from 3M to me. At least not on a standard wrap...that's only about $50 in savings. But hey, that's $50 saved you could say.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
arlon junk kit! stick with 3M!

Arlon is junk from what my clients tell me, its cheap and is a pain to install. Oracal and 3M is the best way to go. People switch because of the price but majority come back to 3M which is the best wrap product in this industry. Most companies who sell Arlon is because they make better margin compared to 3M so you wont get all the facts. I dont earn commission so its easy to tell the truth about the products being sold.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
i sold arlon and 3m products for 10yrs. my margin was better on 3m products.

as an end user my first preference is oracal, my second is arlon and my 3rd is 3m

You would be the 1% exception boss. If they were all the same price I bet 99% would use 3M

LarryB

I will never use another Arlon product as I've had several jobs come back after 6 months where the vinyl is falling off but leaving the adhesive behind. These are applications on a flat surface only like the side of a van. 3M from now on for peace of mind.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I will never use another Arlon product as I've had several jobs come back after 6 months where the vinyl is falling off but leaving the adhesive behind. These are applications on a flat surface only like the side of a van. 3M from now on for peace of mind.

This is the common response I am used to seeing on Arlon products. Works great at first then a few months go by and you have nothing but failures and upset clients all just to save $50.00 just doesnt seem worth it.

Big this is so far from my experiences and the experiences of thousands of clients i just can;t bite my tongue here. THE ONLY material failures that i have ever encountered from an arlon product is from end user error applying with windex or other crazy stuff.

not sure what your agenda is but i no longer sell material so i have no dog in this fight i just dont feel you are spreading correct information by any means.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Big this is so far from my experiences and the experiences of thousands of clients i just can;t bite my tongue here. THE ONLY material failures that i have ever encountered from an arlon product is from end user error applying with windex or other crazy stuff.

not sure what your agenda is but i no longer sell material so i have no dog in this fight i just dont feel you are spreading correct information by any means.

Lol yeah windex can do that to any product huh. Im not saying your right or wrong at all boss, I totally understand some people love Arlon and Im sure it doesnt fail for everyone. As you were speaking from your experience so was I thats all.

I dont have any agenda either I was just throwing out my 2 pennies sir.