• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arthritis anyone???

klemgraphics

I seem to be getting some not so pleasant arthritis in my hands and feet, it's driving me crazy when all I want to do at night is relax and I just hurt and am uncomfortable unless I'm busy working on something. Bad thing is I'm only 26 and it's only going to get worse. My dad has it pretty bad also and he informed me that my grandmother too had it pretty badly, so maybe it is kind of hereditary.

I used to think he was crazy when he said the weather changing bothered his back and joints, now I know what he was talking about and it sucks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this problem, question is what helps it?? The only thing I have found is to not quit moving. In the mornings my hands and feet don't hurt so much but I can't hardly get my socks on.

I know I should probably see a doctor but I'd like to put that off as long as possible.

Any suggestions??

CanuckSigns

Why would you want to put off seeing a Dr. as long as possible? Usually you have a better chance of dealing with this type of thing if you consult a Dr. early on.

WildWestDesigns

How do you know for certain it is arthritis? Could be a lot of things but a doctors visit is in order.

Agreed. That's why doctor's get paid the big bucks, they supposedly know what's going on.

I can see from the OP's perspective though, I hate going to the doctor(haven't been in at least a decade, maybe longer, it's been that long). It's a catch-22, you can find something early on that can be helped, but then again you might find something that you can't do squat about and despite that you spend whatever time you have left worrying about it. No unscrambling an egg then.

However, having said that, it's better to take a chance and have the doctor do a look see.

SignManiac

Pain is good for you. It shows you just how much you can really endure in life. It makes you dig deeper and harder to find out what your real strengths are. Doctors will prescribe drugs and all that does is mask the pain.

Learn to suffer. You'll go farther in life! It's all a state of mind...

SignosaurusRex

I know what you mean. I have hereditary Arthritis myself.....since I was a little tyke. My grandmother lived a very active lifestyle with it from childhood up to her passing two years ago at the age of 98. Her (not so) secret which I adopted and swear by is Copper. She wore a copper band on each upper arm. They were more like jewelry than anything else. When I was 16 I started wearing copper bracelets and still do to this day....always will!
There is medical proof that copper does help in many arthritis cases.

OldPaint

ok, since iam 65, and been thru a LOT OF PAIN, from different parts of my body........i think i can give you a few suggestions as to simple remedies you can try BEFORE SEEING A DOCTOR. hes gona give you PAIN PILLS, MUSCLE RELAXERS or some schit like that. the trouble with WESTERN MEDICINE, is most doctors..........treat symptoms and not the CAUSE of the pain. sooooooooooooooo here goes.
1. take 3-6 FISH OIL omega 3/6/9's a day. i was surprised when my joint pain decreased.
2. CO-Q-10 works. there is a similar product they sell at farm supply place for horses. its same product but way less then condritant/co-q-10.
3. find some one who has CHI GONG/TAI CHI classes. this stuff works.
4. acupuncturist..........this will surprise you.
5. limit your MEAT INGESTION. all meats contain URIC ACID. some peoples bodies will tend to store it. the place it gets stored is........SOFT CARTILAGE only in your joints!!!!
6. also limit dairy intake if you do a lot now.
7. now if none of this seems to help.........get an appointment with a Rheumatologist!!

washingtonsignguy

Im 26 also and had it since i was 16. Seen two doctors and two rheumas and they all told me the same thing, take perscription pills to help the pain, but there is no cure for it. I was seeing a chiropractor for awhile which helped alot but just got too expensive. I was told arthritus is actually in the back (where they found it on me), which is strange cause my back doesnt hurt too often. Now i just take a couple advils when it gets bad. Yes weather makes it worse. It has also lead to a bad habit of cracking knuckles.

Jillbeans

I don't have arthritis I have tendonitis.
But I thought it was carpal tunnel till I went to the Dr.
Was really glad I wouldn't have to have surgery like my mom and 2 siblings have had.
Best to see your Dr.
Altho a very dear friend who at age 86 is quite crimpled up with the rhitis gets some relief from OTC supplements containing glucosamine and chondroitin (sp)
He says they taste so bad he has to wash 'em down with whiskey.
Love.....Jill

JimJenson

My wife has serious rheumatoid arthritis in conjunction with Lupis. She gets an IV chemotherapy treatment, which the side effect is that it gives her 6 months to a year free of pain and further joint damage. It somehow attacks the T-cells, I am not clear on exactly how it works. but it does work.

Unfortunately for her, she's allergic to aspirin, which is in nearly every anti inflammatory on the market. I hope for your sake, that you can take aspirin, otherwise the treatment gets complicated and costly.

S'N'S

Go to a health food shop and buy some tumeric powder and caplets and fill them yourself, take 2 every day and you should notice a change in 10-14 days. Has to be taken in a capsul to get it into the gut where it need to be to be absorbed, having it on/in food wont help and its not enough. I was a sceptic, not any more. Research Tumeric, its been used for thousands of years for arthritis. It's natural, cheap & works.

SignManiac

Wow SignManiac, that's kinda crazy talk I dig to hear/read!

Well Mikey, I have arthritis setting in both of my hands already and it's also hereditary in my family as well. About eighteen years ago, I broke my back flying in a wind tunnel, (freefall simulator) and crushed my T-12 vertebrae. I ignored it as I had no insurance at the time and tuffed it out. I've suffered with the pain all those years. Every time it rains or gets really cold. The same with my left leg. Seven years ago it was crushed when a tractor trailer ran over it. I still have 16" of titanium in my leg and it hurts like a mofo. I have a fear of needles and never once in my life have used Novocaine for any procedure, even three root canals. I've learned that pain can be blocked out for the most part if you go to far away places in your mind. Lucky for me, my mind has visited many far away places! Yeah pain can be a pain but most people have a low threshold I guess.

The last annual physical I had, the doctor asked me what medications I took? I said none and he had this look of disbelief on his face. Seems that the majority of Americans are all pill junkies. It's even worse with the elderly. Some of them take as many as twenty pills a day. Give it up already, can't live forever.

klemgraphics

Thanks everyone for the tips!!

I think I will try them out as well as make an appointment with a Dr. I think my biggest hesitation with going to the doc is that I don't have a family Dr. anymore and I haven't been to one in probably fifteen years. I like the way you think Maniac, maybe I need to just stop complaining and learn to block it out, I mean heck I don't notice it hardly when I'm busy running around the shop during the day so much. I've never hardly taken any prescription meds and I don't plan on starting a lifelong regimen of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers like my dad takes this early in the game.

This freezer full of red meat is probably not helping my situation at all I guess huh?!!

Billct2

Definately see the Dr. There are new medications if it is rheaumatoid arthritis. And if it's not find out what it is (lyme disease for instance).
I have issues, but they're mostly from shattering my forearm 30 years ago, Glucosamin/chondroitin w/ Vitamin C has helped a lot, but that may not apply in your case. By the way I started on those supplements after they were prescribed for one of my dogs and it really helped her out, so I started taking it with her.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure avoiding the doctor altogether is in your best interests.

I would go and let them evaluate what the problems or possibilities might be. You don't necessarily have to take prescribed medicine, but you can take care of your body through proper diet as OP mentioned and develop self monitoring habits. When your body says this or that.... it means there's a problem somewhere, so you need to fix it..... however, not mask the symptoms, but treat the source.

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and the doc said my numbers were off the chart, but couldn't understand why I didn't have any other symptoms. Well, he wanted me to do this and take that as I just listened while he explained the big pharmaceutical money game to me. Wow, I'm really sick and it's gonna cost a lot. Well, since January 3rd on my own through diet, I've got my numbers cut in better than 1/2 and my weight is down a few pounds. My wife is monitoring me very closely and helping me 100% of the way. Everything they said would take medicine and about 9 months I did on my own in the first three weeks. It's week 7 and my numbers are continuing to drop. I haven't started exercising yet, cause I can't find enough free time, so I'm just walking alot on my own.

Yes, you can ignore 'Western Medication' these days for the most part. While we have the best in the medical profession.... we have the best in thievery heading up the Health Department along with the pharmaceutical industry whose main focus is to keep us sick and keep medicating us. It's like we have a new illness invented everyday which is diagnosed for a new medicine that won't only stop your symptoms, but will give you a ton more of problems.

I get a kick out of the ones that says might cause...... swelling, redness, irritation, loose bowels, drowsiness, blurred vision, light pissing in your pants, headaches, dry-mouth, fluid in your lungs, fluid in your butt and possible death. If symptoms continue, please see a doctor. How in the heck can you see a doctor after you stopped breathing ??

mark in tx

I think I've stated this once before, but why are you asking for medical advice in a sign forum?

You'll get 20 different opinions here if you ask how to lay vinyl, you know what I mean?

Go to the doctor, then go to another doctor for a second opinion.

klemgraphics

I think I've stated this once before, but why are you asking for medical advice in a sign forum?

You'll get 20 different opinions here if you ask how to lay vinyl, you know what I mean?

Go to the doctor, then go to another doctor for a second opinion.

I wasn't looking for a medical cure all or anything, just more like talking to my peers about it as I know others are going through the same thing. How many doctors that haven't done a bit of physical labor in their life do you think deal with the same things? I may be wrong but it's just what I think.

I will see a doctor about it too, but being that my wife is a RN working with doctors all the time that don't seem to have a clue as to what is going on makes me question their ability also, I know there are good ones out there it's just a matter of finding one. One of our good friends is in his last year of med school and just knowing him I would never trust a diagnosis he gave. It's not a lot different than our industry, there are those that are great, some that are good, and some hacks.