• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artificial Intelligence Art Generation

WildWestDesigns

If I draw a picture of a car, even if I'm only using my memory of a car, it is still, IMHO, a derivative of a copyrighted piece of machinery.
If I'm not mistaken, something along these lines actually been brought up in the courts before. Even with pictures that car owners had taken of their car and shared etc and if those pictures are of copyright machinary that is owned by the vendors or not. And the actual camera taken pictures are probably going to be more of an issue compared to a drawn picture (unless we are talking about a technical drawing), if talking about getting everything 1:1.

Irony is that it may not actually be covered, but because the people that would be crying about it have such deep pockets, that it's hard to go against them even if they don't have a case.

To give an idea of some of my concern, we have this here.

The Getty lawsuit is probably a slam dunk, parts of their watermark were even found embedded in some AI generated art, that suit alone will have a major impact.
I'm pretty sure that this has happened with other artwork as well, with artist's signatures on the resulted picture as well, not just something like a stock site.

The open source example already has some lawsuits if I'm not mistaken related due to licensing. Also some have pointed out that if it's pulling from repos, don't actually know if those are public or private repo's as well. Especially now considering that linked article that I gave. They may not be pulling from a repo hosting site, but still using some group's proprietary code.

Johnny Best

AI mates with female humans to create the "G" series human, they are among us!
The Gnubler, Gabagoo and the oldest series the GAC05!

Attachments

• Gseries.jpg
    Gseries.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 118

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
In general, what is the functional difference between a person looking at a picture and using the memory of that picture to reproduce it's style and/or its content and having a bit of software that does exactly the same thing?

Medina Signs

Old Member
Interesting thread!

So I have done a little dabbling with Chat GTP - My inbox has been bombed by people trying to sell me the bot. Turns out it is free to use, just go to the site and sign up. The results are quite good, it all depends on how succinct you are in presenting your queries.

Only a few chats until now, but at first I asked to describe in layman's terms about different types of signs, thinking I could copy and paste the answer for customers who call and say "I want a sign"
Well it works pretty good - I don't think I like it, I don't even like fancy coffee - it's "Black Joe" for me.

My humble opinion is that it is here to stay. I sure in it's early stages it will turn out to be a ##it Show. Especially after humans get involved. Hell, it's already happening.

So after reading this thread I asked it to write a poem in iambic pentameter. "write a short poem on AI technology as it pertains to AI generated art"

Here is the result -

"Sure, here's a short poem in iambic pentameter"

AI technology has come to be
A force that's changing artistry
With algorithms and neural nets
A new era of art begins to set

From paintings to music, and beyond
AI-generated art is now a bond
Between human minds and machine
A collaboration that's rarely seen

With pixels, colors, and data points
AI art breaks traditional joints
And creates something entirely new
A reflection of AI's point of view

But as we marvel at its beauty and grace
We must ask ourselves, what's the true face
Of AI-generated art, and what it means
For the future of humanity's creative dreams

Did the Bot write this poem or did I,
It was written for you to spy.
It's pretty good and not too slow
No Latte please, Just "Black Joe".

Credit: Some Bot Somewhere, Me, Google AI for correcting any spelling errors.

Mic Drop!

WildWestDesigns

In general, what is the functional difference between a person looking at a picture and using the memory of that picture to reproduce it's style and/or its content and having a bit of software that does exactly the same thing?
The level of the knowledge that may be abstracted away from the person or the user, depending on what the situation is.

Ideally though, I would say that if someone is really progressing, they would be moving away from looking at pictures and trying to emulate what they see and mature beyond that. AI, at least as it is now, not so much. That may change, but how it looks to me like it is now, that isn't the case. All AI knows is to scape the info and spit out. The more info that is given to it (the more the user knows), the better (more likely anyway) the results.

Alot of this does depend on how AI changes over time. That's just as I see it right now.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Here is another one - Answered by the BOT -

I own a Roland VS-640. I am getting horizontal lines in the output, What is the likely cause?

Horizontal lines in the output of a Roland VS-640 can be caused by a few different factors. Here are a few things to check:
  1. Print head alignment: If the print heads are not properly aligned, it can cause horizontal lines in the output. Check to see if the print heads are aligned correctly and make any necessary adjustments.
  2. Nozzles clogged: Clogged nozzles can also cause horizontal lines. Run a nozzle check and clean the print heads if necessary.
  3. Ink levels: Low ink levels can cause uneven ink distribution, which can result in horizontal lines. Check to make sure that all ink cartridges have enough ink.
  4. Media tension: If the media is not properly tensioned, it can cause the print heads to skip or cause uneven ink distribution, resulting in horizontal lines. Check the media tension and adjust if necessary.
  5. Damaged print head: If the print head is damaged or worn out, it can cause horizontal lines. Check the print head for damage and replace it if necessary.
If none of these solutions solve the issue, it may be best to consult with a professional technician who can diagnose and fix the problem.

Hey no more printer techs needed - Ya!!

DL Signs

Never go against the family

I own a Roland VS-640. I am getting horizontal lines in the output, What is the likely cause?

Horizontal lines in the output of a Roland VS-640 can be caused by a few different factors. Here are a few things to check:
  1. Print head alignment: If the print heads are not properly aligned, it can cause horizontal lines in the output. Check to see if the print heads are aligned correctly and make any necessary adjustments.
  2. Nozzles clogged: Clogged nozzles can also cause horizontal lines. Run a nozzle check and clean the print heads if necessary.
  3. Ink levels: Low ink levels can cause uneven ink distribution, which can result in horizontal lines. Check to make sure that all ink cartridges have enough ink.
  4. Media tension: If the media is not properly tensioned, it can cause the print heads to skip or cause uneven ink distribution, resulting in horizontal lines. Check the media tension and adjust if necessary.
  5. Damaged print head: If the print head is damaged or worn out, it can cause horizontal lines. Check the print head for damage and replace it if necessary.
If none of these solutions solve the issue, it may be best to consult with a professional technician who can diagnose and fix the problem.

that's funny...
Parroting basic and general information you'll find posted all over the web, in forums like this, manufacturers support pages, and... the user manual. A digital xerox machine feeding copies of what's already known. All stuff you can look up yourself, but gee, this way seems so magical because of the illusion that it's actually communicating with you :rolleyes:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

It's like asking a question on S101 but without the snooty comments to go with it. Sounds boring

ProSignTN

Interesting thread!

So I have done a little dabbling with Chat GTP - My inbox has been bombed by people trying to sell me the bot. Turns out it is free to use, just go to the site and sign up. The results are quite good, it all depends on how succinct you are in presenting your queries.

Only a few chats until now, but at first I asked to describe in layman's terms about different types of signs, thinking I could copy and paste the answer for customers who call and say "I want a sign"
Well it works pretty good - I don't think I like it, I don't even like fancy coffee - it's "Black Joe" for me.

My humble opinion is that it is here to stay. I sure in it's early stages it will turn out to be a ##it Show. Especially after humans get involved. Hell, it's already happening.

So after reading this thread I asked it to write a poem in iambic pentameter. "write a short poem on AI technology as it pertains to AI generated art"

Here is the result -

"Sure, here's a short poem in iambic pentameter"

AI technology has come to be
A force that's changing artistry
With algorithms and neural nets
A new era of art begins to set

From paintings to music, and beyond
AI-generated art is now a bond
Between human minds and machine
A collaboration that's rarely seen

With pixels, colors, and data points
AI art breaks traditional joints
And creates something entirely new
A reflection of AI's point of view

But as we marvel at its beauty and grace
We must ask ourselves, what's the true face
Of AI-generated art, and what it means
For the future of humanity's creative dreams

Did the Bot write this poem or did I,
It was written for you to spy.
It's pretty good and not too slow
No Latte please, Just "Black Joe".

Credit: Some Bot Somewhere, Me, Google AI for correcting any spelling errors.

Mic Drop!
I've searched for the truth my whole life, now I'm wondering if I can recognize it when it's staring at me. So who wrote the freaking poem??

victor bogdanov

I've searched for the truth my whole life, now I'm wondering if I can recognize it when it's staring at me. So who wrote the freaking poem??
The ai algorithm was trained with data from a few years ago so it wouldn't know about ai generated art maybe? Or at least it wouldn't know what the current view ponts are on it.

Maybe the next version will scrape this thread and use it in an answer

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The ai algorithm was trained with data from a few years ago so it wouldn't know about ai generated art maybe? Or at least it wouldn't know what the current view ponts are on it.

Maybe the next version will scrape this thread and use it in an answer
The algorithm may have been originated a few years ago but my understanding is that it uses a constantly changing and updated dataset to do its thing. So it is certainly possible that in a few days or sooner some of what's said here may well effect its replies to the same questions.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I'm already using ChatGPT to write blog posts for my commercial printing website. I also used it extensively to write the descriptions for each product and category. It writes great stuff and in a fraction of the time it takes me to compoise the same thing. I've used Dall-e a few times and have created some interesting images, but, its not quite there yet for graphic design on demand. I see it as I see Shutterstock and other vector art sites, a resource to save me time and money in the creative process.

Manuel Upton

The question would be, how long will that last. Keep in mind, it's really a web scraper at this point (that may change, but as of right now, it's more of a web scraper, hence all of this tagging etc to supposely prevent "learning"). I would imagine that the content that is freely shared and not behind some paywall (unless there is a back room deal etc), the quality will eventually go down, because that will be the quality that AI is able to "learn" from.

One thing that could possibly be a positive, is if you could run on offline instance and have it "learn" your style and be able to generate from that. That would probably be the only way that I would ever go this route. Otherwise, I value to much the ability to think and create on my own. This type of abstraction in my mind is too much away from the user. Even with the little piddling that they may do afterward.

I do have to wonder, if the the creative muscles of people will atrophy as well if they get too used to something like this over the long haul (or they are dependent on it a generation or two down the line and that's all they know with how to create). Especially considering how lazy most people are. Probably won't look beyond what answers are spit out and just roll with it, regardless of what the use case is. The fact that a lot of students are using this is really cause for concern. I can see it replacing research (whatever is entailed for that specific case that is define as research).

I'm not to keen on AI being interjected in as much areas as it is. It definitely has the new kid on the block fad inertia going for it, but I wonder what the landscape will be in a few yrs time. I probably won't still be using it (unless some key considerations are met in my mind), but it will definitely be interesting to see where the laws are and the state of AI at that time.
You can run Stable Diffusion directly from your PC and train it with your own pictures. I believe it still needs internet access though.

jochwat

Graphics Department
that's funny...
Parroting basic and general information you'll find posted all over the web, in forums like this, manufacturers support pages, and... the user manual. A digital xerox machine feeding copies of what's already known. All stuff you can look up yourself, but gee, this way seems so magical because of the illusion that it's actually communicating with you :rolleyes:
You're absolutely right in all that you've said. Yet, people still come into various forums and groups and ask the questions when they would get the answer faster by using a search function. Never understood it. I've seen people on Facebook groups ask things like "Does anyone know the number to Squigi's Pizza? And what their hours are?". And then wait for the answer. Why not just... I mean... why... ummm... what's wrong with people??

Medina Signs

Old Member
It's hard to say who wrote the poem. My best guess would be the first person who copies, paste and publishes into their new book of poems. Don't forget to copyright it first.