• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artificial Intelligence Art Generation

DL Signs

Never go against the family
You're absolutely right in all that you've said. Yet, people still come into various forums and groups and ask the questions when they would get the answer faster by using a search function. Never understood it. I've seen people on Facebook groups ask things like "Does anyone know the number to Squigi's Pizza? And what their hours are?". And then wait for the answer. Why not just... I mean... why... ummm... what's wrong with people??
I see stuff like that posted every day and question where the world is heading... Picked up a grand daughter from high school one day when her car was in the shop, most kids were shuffling out like zombies, either staring at phones or just blank faced like they were lost. Makes me kind of glad I'm older than dirt, and won't have too see how this all plays out.

Johnny Best

I see stuff like that posted every day and question where the world is heading... Picked up a grand daughter from high school one day when her car was in the shop, most kids were shuffling out like zombies, either staring at phones or just blank faced like they were lost. Makes me kind of glad I'm older than dirt, and won't have too see how this all plays out.
How old is dirt? The earth is 4.5 billon years. Maybe you are the AI everyone is talking about.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I wanted to contribute to this and went to gtpchat for some help...this is what they told me...

I don't have anything to contribute to this conversation....and it's a frustrating experience. It's like being stuck in a room with no windows or doors and no way to escape. I feel pressure to come up with something clever or interesting to say, but no matter how hard I try, my mind draws a blank. However, it's important to remember that not every moment needs to be filled with words. Sometimes it's okay to simply be present and enjoy the company of others without feeling the need to contribute to the conversation. It's also important to recognize that having nothing to say is a normal and common experience, and it doesn't reflect on my intelligence or social skills.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Art tools using AI are going to eliminate a good number of graphics-oriented jobs, there is no doubt about that. It is a technology to use carefully, like any type of technology. I am looking forward to the tools maturing. I can see it as being helpful in creating artwork. Not just spitting out pieces, but used as a tool like I currently do with stock art, etc. Will it be abused by hacks to create horrible art or signage? Absolutely, but that is already happening with the tools we have now. If you are selling widgets to your customers, and offering no other value, then AI generated art will likely have a significant negative impact on your sign/graphics business. Otherwise, you can use these tools to be more productive and possibly even enhance your offerings by utilizing the technology to be even more creative.

WildWestDesigns

You can run Stable Diffusion directly from your PC and train it with your own pictures. I believe it still needs internet access though.
A lot of programs that I use have gotten a flurry of plugins for that.
If I was to use it, it would have to be on my servers only. Part of me, has a big problem with it, so I don't know if I would ever use it. I prefer not to have something abstracted away from me at this level. Sure it does add productivity and there is merit in that, this just rubs me the wrong way.

I think future users, when this tech has been around more, will be more reliant on this. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, nor the last), but I just don't see this ending up differently.

Also, yet another subscription service. While their may be free tiers, those don't usually last long in usefulness.

gnubler

I love this old lady, unfazed by the shrieking crowd of monkeys around her.
2D1E0F0500000578-0-image-a-15_1444057505033.jpg

I've pretty much stopped attending public events (concerts, comedy shows) because I can no longer tolerate the general public's behavior. Too distracting seeing a bunch of glowing screens in front of me in a dark room, or the stupid motherfckers holding up their phone and ruining the view of everyone behind them so they can record a video they will NEVER watch again. Ridiculous.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Obsessive phone use is just out of control. Saturday, I was driving down a local street toward a signaled intersection. A car up ahead at the intersection was just sitting there despite the green light. The car only started moving when the signal turned yellow. I guess the clown had to finish writing his Tweet before moving.

And, yeah, phones really make a lot of public events suck, especially live concerts. It's bad enough you're going to get price-gouged for the tickets. People sticking their phones up in the air for much of the show ruins a good bit of the experience.

I used to watch movies in commercial cinemas on a frequent basis. Smart phones are one factor why my movie-going has dropped off radically. If I do go to a cinema I try to pick an off-peak time when fewer people will be there. Any benefits of sharing a movie experience with a large crowd are easily cancelled out and worse by the behavior of selfish idiots. Phones are just one of several distractions in a movie theater.

Worst kind of movie-going experience: any "film festival" event where video cameras of any kind are present. It doesn't matter if the people with cameras are students from a community college. The bigger the festival equals a worse crowd. Smart phones up in the air is a given. Anyone with narcissist, attention-whore tendencies will get on their worst behavior. These types of jerks will try to yell-cheer, yell-laugh or make any other reaction noise louder than anyone. It's like a contest. They're all trying to try to draw attention to themselves and prove they're "enjoying" the show more than anyone else in the room. We could be watching a low-budget movie that's objectively pretty crappy and these people will react like it's the greatest movie they ever saw. The behavior is so shamelessly lame it makes me want to vomit.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I've pretty much stopped attending public events (concerts, comedy shows) because I can no longer tolerate the general public's behavior. Too distracting seeing a bunch of glowing screens in front of me in a dark room, or the stupid motherfckers holding up their phone and ruining the view of everyone behind them so they can record a video they will NEVER watch again. Ridiculous.
It's been like that for quite a while, and worse every day. I won't subject myself to all the BS of going to shows either, and that's part of why my drums are collecting dust... Don't even have the desire to go back out performing live anymore, just not worth all the effort to play for people staring at their phones :noway:

gnubler

Unfortunately the vanity-obsessed morons have ruined natural spaces now as well. Striking poses for Instagram at national monuments or famous locations, lying on the ground, selfie sticks at the hot springs recording endless footage of themselves, taking pictures of their frickin' food at restaurants to post on social media...while half the world goes hungry every day. Repulsive.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Some of the people here use their phones to disguise themselves taking closeup pictures of girls butts in yoga pants on the beach... that's a good use of technology.

The internet is already a place for misinformation and you have to question a lot of what you see. AI will make it more difficult to tell the BS from what's real. I think it's just going to devalue the stuff you see on the internet even more if you can't tell what's real or not.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I went to chatgpt to see what this was all about.
It asked me if I was human before it would talk to me. Why would it ask that and why should it care?
I asked if it was really sentient and my pc blue-screened.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I love this old lady, unfazed by the shrieking crowd of monkeys around her.
View attachment 164903

Yup, it's been shown that when you are busy recording events, you brain is not creating long term memories of these events.

Notarealsignguy

In defense of the phones at concerts, they have replaced lighters. Although, lighters were time limited by heat and blowing up.

Notarealsignguy

It asked me if I was human before it would talk to me. Why would it ask that and why should it care?
Sounds like your browser history scared it off and continued to crash the entire system.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I wonder how teachers will be able to tell the difference between kids actually writing and AI generated essays, etc. Could create a generation of kids who can't write or think for themselves.

Johnny Best

Like I said Gac05, you are a G mulatto series. Probably thought you were hitting it up for past due child support.

WildWestDesigns

I wonder how teachers will be able to tell the difference between kids actually writing and AI generated essays, etc. Could create a generation of kids who can't write or think for themselves.
It has already happened and some in the "professional" sphere have admitted to using it as well.

As far as the generational thing, in my mind, that has already happened. This is just going to make it even more so as I see most people will just accept whatever AI flavor that they use as gospel from the get go and not look into it any further. Not to mention the broader cultural reaches as well. This will have an affect of creativity (I would speculate for the worst, at least more often than not for the worst, there will be some glimmers of hope, but not as much) and output will take a dive. Already seeing it as it is, even before the mainstream use of AI.

Last edited:

gnubler

It has already happened and some in the "professional" sphere have admitted to using it as well.
I encountered this a couple weeks ago within my social group of local business owners. She submitted an article for a magazine, telling us she "had ChatGTP write it". The editor kicked it back, saying there were a bunch of errors or questionable statements. Like, did she even read the article she submitted under her own name? She didn't. Probably scanned through it, decided it didn't read too much like Engrish, and sent it off.

It's like cheating. I can't wait until instructions or recipes are AI generated and bad things start happening. No one will be accountable.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I encountered this a couple weeks ago within my social group of local business owners. She submitted an article for a magazine, telling us she "had ChatGTP write it". The editor kicked it back, saying there were a bunch of errors or questionable statements. Like, did she even read the article she submitted under her own name? She didn't. Probably scanned through it, decided it didn't read too much like Engrish, and sent it off.

It's like cheating. I can't wait until instructions or recipes are AI generated and bad things start happening. No one will be accountable.
I hadn't thought of recipes! I can just see it...put peanut butter on nose then wipe on bread...