• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artist wants to cut...

Johnny Best

Yea, I am going to start calling them "free range shapes".
It's part of the artist's jargon, makes it more expensive.

Sandman

Examples of organic shapes, Animals, trees, food, people, flowers. Non organic shapes. Buildings, furniture, computers, autos, etc. Get it?

mmblarg

Jigsaw is easy to use and cuts through like butter, just be sure to sand the edges after. (If cost is an issue, check whether the hardware stores around you offers rental options. I live in an area where most any construction tool can be rented.)

Also, sorry you've gotten some shamefully snarky answers from our community - hope you found what you were looking for regardless

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahh..... snarky, schmarky. Who gives a rat's petunia ??

As for expansion and contraction, nothing expands more or faster than aluminum. I have no idea where you heard it is more stable. As for being in a museum, you can't find a more controlled environment, because of old paintings, artifacts and so many other delicate elements on display like mummies and other things 100s of years old. In a controlled environment, you won't find much movement on much of anything, other than the people working there.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I worked along side of a museum conservator. He was a master, to say the least. We patched paintings many 100s of years old. We had to know the chemistry of all the painting styles of years ago and match as closely as possible. We were aware of light sources along with many other factors, but never the movement of wood or canvas in a completely controlled environment. If the area is a safe environment, no wood is gonna rot, either.

fresh

IDK what y'all are talking about it not being a good surface to paint on. How many people who claimed that are fine artists? My business partner paints exclusively on metal panels, either drop from jobs or for big projects he gets them custom cut to size. He has gallery shows and literally everything is on either 040 or polymetal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like the OP said, he's gonna use some sort of gesso or other topical medium to make it paintable. If he scares it up with some 600 grit, he should be fine. However, when he first started, it sounded as though he was gonna paint pictures directly on this stuff. Cut the stuff out with an exacto knife and be on his merry way. Now, he's getting all kinds scientific on us and telling us about some characteristics of this acm which really isn't true, but he read it somewhere in an artist's magazine, so therefore it hasta be true. Not that all of us have had experience with this stuff for 2 or so decades. Besides, who cares if a painting lasts 1,000 years..... he's making organic stuff which won't probably matter more than through a few showings or exhibits, then it'll go into storage, where the conditions will not match the gallery's conditions. He'll find out, but after his trees and flowers have withered and died.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
/\ Now THATS snark.

Hmmmmm, how so ?? Is it not true ??

Ya know..... most people, when confronted with something, tend to think it's snarkism at work, but when they listen to reason and actually read what's written, they get angrier. I don't think I hafta explain anything. That's called a paper trail.

And that's the rest of the story.​

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Dressing the edges of aluminum laminate, unless you've cut it with a chain saw, does not require filing, sanding, deburring, or removal of material by any other means. Just reform the edges by running a piece of brass, a screwdriver shank, a piece of hardwood, etc., at a 30-45 degree angle along the cut edge. This will reform the aluminum into a smooth ever so slightly rounded edge. Just like the edge from the factory. I have a brass T extrusion about 6" long that I use with good effect. Like most anything else you develop a feel for the right angle and pressure in short order.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Ya know, that's the second or third time I've seen that advertisement on here. Does anyone know ANYONE who owns one of those ??

Only those lucky enough to get on the pre-order lists so far... unfortunately not being in the USA has prevented us from ordering one until full production starts.
For the price it seems almost cheap enough to try out.