• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

As of today I am no longer a corporate employee and would like to share my experience

C

ColoPrinthead

I have spent the last year working for a corporation that decided to in-source their large format needs and saved about a million dollars through the production methods I employed to increase the volume that can be produced. It was an intriguing endeavor and I learned a lot about people and business while corporate.

A lot was asked of me and I took the position knowing the challenge I was facing would be tough. I had to share the knowledge I have gained over the last 15 years and get a marketing department to understand the standard operating procedures that are necessary for me to meet the imposed deadlines of a 5 week turn on orders. My turn time as of last week was looking more like 3-4 months.

I'm like most of you on the forum in that I strive to do my best and believe in doing everything I possibly can to avoid failure in anything I do. Coming from my varied print background I struggled with the idea of not making deadlines and came to realize that if I am able to talk to people and manage their perceptions it really didn't matter, it certainly didn't matter to my boss because he didn't care.

I was asked to correct an inventory problem that has existed for over 14 years. I won't get into the details, but I had a warehouse full of many items that I had to count and catalog and in addition I had to work with accountants to strategize and figure out a process to account for what I produce. I spent over 9 months on and off learning accounting software and the accountants personally as well has how they operate. I submitted correct inventory multiple times and the list was never uploaded. This was part of my job and it is what I was asked to do, the problem is that I'm too good at what I do for my own good.

In short what I have learned and realized is that ownership never wanted my inventory to be corrected, they didn't care at all. When I did my part and the list was not uploaded repeatedly I covered for the accountants and informed my boss. What I came to realize is ownership is operating a house of cards and making money doing it. As I learned the corporation more and began to understand what I was I dealing with I also experience a tremendous amount of personal progression in the way that I understand people, their actions, life, and how empower myself as an individual to achieve what is necessary to get what I need accomplished - I'm at the best point in my life ever right now. I believe in striving to best the best possible person I can be and sharing what I learn helps me do that with others, and I did with my coworkers who were struggling with their lives. I made friends and people appreciated me and enjoyed being around me. The problem is that when you share knowledge with people to help them realize their potential they get smarter and become more aware, this is not something ownership wants. People in high positions of power want their workforce to remain as ignorant as they can be so that they may easily and without question impose their will upon them. And these people want everyone to believe they are flawless in all they do although they aren't. I inadvertently made it known I was starting to realize what they didn't want realized by simply doing what was asked of me and challenging myself to grow as an individual.

While I'm now unemployed and my future is uncertain I feel I am at new personal best in my understandings of the people I deal with and what I need to be aware of when if I ever have to work with people operating on such a level again. I'm disgusted, tired, and relieved. I also am going to have to look over my time sheets as they intentionally shorted me on the check I was handed. The audacity of people will never cease to amaze me.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share. I haven't been able to talk much about what its like being a corporate printer because I was expected to operate with secrecy and discretion. I signed a None Disclosure Agreement, so I won't get specific about the company but I'd be happy to talk about the insanity I have dealt with for the past year and am now free of.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ColoPrinthead

Thank you mosh. I belong with the people who are truely good and well intentioned.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's sad news. You're good and have lots to pull from, you'll do well.

You know, when you sported that thread around about drinking on the job, something didn't sound quite right. I guess they didn't agree with your long hours and making it easy on yourself.

Sometimes, when bosses give into nonsense, the writing is already on the wall.

HulkSmash

I know the company you're working for. They remind me of American Furniture warehouse. Keep everything in house. They do their commercials, print their magazines and coupons, and wraps all in a basement in one of their shops... it's crazy.

C

ColoPrinthead

I was let go and it became very obvious that my perceptions of the situation are correct during the meeting with HR. I wish I had the foresight to have seen what I was dealing with and realize I needed to quit tying to do what was asked of me. Then again I'd be sailing with a sinking ship of fools, who want to lie to themselves and compensate by treating others poorly and as fools.

These people were paying me $10 an hour for the better part of a year. I was working every other weekend at a minimum to keep up with demand and to cover my bills. I learned what my increase was going to be at the year mark and realized how under appreciated I was. I used an offer from another wrap company in town to leverage a better pay raise and was still making less than I did back with some of the best in Dallas up to 2007 and without a degree.

C

ColoPrinthead

That's sad news. You're good and have lots to pull from, you'll do well.

You know, when you sported that thread around about drinking on the job, something didn't sound quite right. I guess they didn't agree with your long hours and making it easy on yourself.

Sometimes, when bosses give into nonsense, the writing is already on the wall.
I realize this now, what I didn't realize then is that I was dealing people who have their books cooked to the max. People aren't going to tell you things they don't want you to know and they are certainly not going to point out things that they are doing wrong. I failed to recognize that was what I was dealing with.

I doubt Adam has any interest in having me around. I don't have a lot of application experience. If he'd like to talk he knows I'm available and I've been interested in having a beer with him anyway.

peavey123

Your realization makes me put my tinfoil hat on. I instantly thought of how governments do that exact same thing. ie. police have IQ caps. If you're too smart you can't be a cop. or why does post-secondary school cost so damn much? Why is there still drug wars where a huge percentage of inmates are incarcerated for non-violent drug charges? (aka. MJ.) The "man" just beats us down maaan. hahaha blah blah. I'm nuts apparently...TGIF

C

ColoPrinthead

So why did you leave Dallas?

Could it be to have something to do besides working?
I have experienced a lot of personal struggles while working and trying figure how to recognize who and what I want to be and actualize my best possible self. I made the decision to leave TX and get my degree when I was running Trinity Mills printing and was cut to part time. I had a feeling in my gut that things were going to get bad and that a piece of paper might help me get a better life. I graduated in December 2008 as the economic collapse unfolded and have been doing everything I possibly can to regain the quality of life I once had since. I have made things harder than they have had to be in the past due to my overwhelming frustration and anger with my situation/s, and lack of ability to adjust my perspective to a manner that allows me function successfully.

I have overcome the majority of my issues, now I am learning how not to highlight those of others. I operate and interact with the best possible intentions I just have to work at being observant and realizing when I may inadvertently have made someone aware of their sort comings. The work never ends and I embrace it on a daily basis.

JBusch260

ColoPrinthead, I'm very sorry to hear you lost your job. Although I truly feel that getting out of the corporate world, you will have a much better future ahead of you. Years ago, before I got into the a locally owned and operated sign shop, I worked for a corporate entity that was a subsidiary of AIG right when the economy really tanked. Trust me, I know exactly your feelings about that kind of (toxic) environment. It's truly scary what they do and the amount of relief that you will be feeling is going to grow exponentially. I wish you the best of luck!!

C

ColoPrinthead

Your realization makes me put my tinfoil hat on. I instantly thought of how governments do that exact same thing. ie. police have IQ caps. If you're too smart you can't be a cop. or why does post-secondary school cost so damn much? Why is there still drug wars where a huge percentage of inmates are incarcerated for non-violent drug charges? (aka. MJ.) The "man" just beats us down maaan. hahaha blah blah. I'm nuts apparently...TGIF
Its a brave new world when you open your eyes and look around.

iSign

very interesting post... well written... and insightful... even in the admission of insights that came seemingly "too late" to help... but it sounds to be as it was meant to be... we are given many chances to apply our skill integrity, and ability to learn & grow... and when we accept such an opportunity & attack it with the best intentions,,, we do learn & grow... sometimes just enough to grow apart! (true both personally & professionally)

iSign

I have experienced a lot of personal struggles while working and trying figure how to recognize who I want to be and actualize my best possible self....

...I graduated in December 2008 as the economic collapse unfolded and have been doing everything I possibly can to regain the quality of life I once had since. I have made things harder than they have had to be in the past due to my overwhelming frustration and anger with my situation/s, and lack of ability to adjust my perspective to a manner that allows me function successfully.

I have overcome the majority of my issues, now I am learning how not to highlight those of others. I operate and interact with the best possible intentions I just have to work at being observant and realizing when I may inadvertently have made someone aware of their sort comings....

I love what you write...
I actually don't remember reading your posts before, but at this point in time, you write much like a lot of what I might be writing if I took the time to write about the big picture in my life, instead of just a sign question here & there...

I used to spend a lot more time here, sharing my thoughts or views all over the map, outside of just signs... and then life made me sit up & re-focus... and at that point, I became far less present on this site...

...but one of these days I might write about that re-focusing chapter that has been taking up so much of my time... :popcorn: