• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

As of today I am no longer a corporate employee and would like to share my experience

C

ColoPrinthead

good god, $10 an hr?
I pay the person who answers my phones more then that.
It was an interesting opportunity for me. I actually left a small depressing small format finishing position in Arvada that paid me $12 @ 32 hours week to test my skills and see what could come. It has been an exciting adventure that I don't regret because of the skills I learned from being observant and studying the more successful people I found myself surrounded by.

I just didn't realize the amount of lies and personal manipulation that is involved with perceived "success".

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ColoPrinthead

I love what you write...
I actually don't remember reading your posts before, but at this point in time, you write much like a lot of what I might be writing if I took the time to write about the big picture in my life, instead of just a sign question here & there...

I used to spend a lot more time here, sharing my thoughts or views all over the map, outside of just signs... and then life made me sit up & re-focus... and at that point, I became far less present on this site...

...but one of these days I might write about that re-focusing chapter that has been taking up so much of my time... :popcorn:
Its my personal belief that if we, as individuals want to make the world a better place we share our knowledge and our struggles with each other. I feel that in doing so we empower people to better their lives through knowledge and understanding or they do it for us when we have matters of deep concern that they have previously dealt with. And if we are both struggling with the same issues we can learn that its not unique to us and work together on figuring it out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's deep, almost too deep for a Friday night before leaving for the weekend.

I suggest you go home and get drunk. If you're married, tell her she can come along, too.

If ya don't drink, go to a basketball game and sit on the other team's side.

Mike F

Sorry to hear you were in such a crappy situation, but congrats on being free from it now. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy, hopefully you can find a company that both appreciates and can adequately compensate you for your skills and knowledge. And, not to threadjack, but thanks again for replying to my thread yesterday with the iGen and Indigo info you gave me, it's much appreciated.

SignManiac

very interesting post... well written... and insightful... even in the admission of insights that came seemingly "too late" to help... but it sounds to be as it was meant to be... we are given many chances to apply our skill integrity, and ability to learn & grow... and when we accept such an opportunity & attack it with the best intentions,,, we do learn & grow... sometimes just enough to grow apart! (true both personally & professionally)

+1 good reply

phototec

I used to spend a lot more time here, sharing my thoughts or views all over the map, outside of just signs... and then life made me sit up & re-focus... and at that point, I became far less present on this site...

...but one of these days I might write about that re-focusing chapter that has been taking up so much of my time... :popcorn:

Hey Doug,

I for one have missed you on here, and have been wondering what happened and if you were ok?

Good to see your (Steve Jobs) pose again...

Hope all works out for you!

:Welcome:Back

C

ColoPrinthead

I'm looking for help in Denver, shoot me a pm
I'd love to and will within 24 hours. Your location is great. I'm busy at the moment, and would like to give you my full attention when I contact you.

C

ColoPrinthead

I love what you write...
I actually don't remember reading your posts before, but at this point in time, you write much like a lot of what I might be writing if I took the time to write about the big picture in my life, instead of just a sign question here & there...

Thank you, I had to read it a few times. I really appreciate this community and this thread has helped me develop a much deeper respect for it. I hope that someday I might meet other members in person.

ProWraps

you were a spoke in the wheel.

and you got paid to be as such.

welcome to being an employee.

i dont know your sitch. but you have just told the rest of us that hire you, if we dont cater to you, we will reap the wrath of your public diatribe. ND or no ND.

move on my friend. stop the rant, and seek employment with the next.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
you were a spoke in the wheel.

and you got paid to be as such.

welcome to being an employee.

i dont know your sitch. but you have just told the rest of us that hire you, if we dont cater to you, we will reap the wrath of your public diatribe. ND or no ND.

move on my friend. stop the rant, and seek employment with the next.

I tend to agree with this...

Plus it's a lot of deep, (well not that deep) reading and ranting for a low paying job.

You stay at a low paying job working with people who have no business doing it... after a while, it's not them, it's you... the door was that way and you maybe you shoulda taken it. How are you supposed to grow, working for people who are clueless?

I had a job that looked great on a resume but I could only stand 3 months of the place because I simply could not take the place, Me and 2 other designers did them a favor leaving... when I applied at my next job, he was concerned with the 3 months, my response why spend another 4 years there because it looks good on my resume, life is too short and I was not about to wait a year or 2 to see if it was gonna get better.

Never ever make someone else in charge of your career path. You are the boss of your career, start firing your underperforming employers, and move on.

Have a corn dog... :corndog:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Wow, sorry for your frustration at the moment. Been there, done that.

And while it's still a bitter pill to swallow, they might have done you a favor. You're obviously worth more than they were paying you.

Always remember to remain true to yourself. You're the only one who has to look at your face in the mirror at the end of the day. And knowing that you did your very best sure makes it easier to sleep at night.

Hang in there and keep us updated often. We're pulling for you.

JB

visual800

What you have experienced is just another stepping stone in your life to something bigger and better....trust me. Enjoy your new adventures that you will run into, good post