• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

At one time..........................................................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Everyone had respect for their appearance.

window cleaners 100years.jpg

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Even "Signpainters" dressed better back then.

Attachments

• early sign painter.jpg
    early sign painter.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 98

JBurton

Signtologist
Joke's on you gino, those are window thieves, they are all working simultaneously on different window seals, loosening them up, so they can pluck them all in 3 and a half minutes flat and disappear. The fine dresswear is to assure any and everybody else they are a legit outfit. (this of course being prior to the invention of the clipboard)
You see the same strategies still in use by used car salesmen, insurance salesmen, etc...

gnubler

Guess what else they didn't have back then? FATSOS. It's really only in the last 30 years that the general population became so overweight.

Boudica - that 1950s housewife was high/stoned/drunk all day long, guaranteed.

gnubler

Nothing is stopping you. I try to be just like her every day of my life and have been good about hiding the empties around my shop in case customers come by. :toasting:

gnubler

I have a collection of vintage print shop images if anyone's interested. The workers all looked healthy & happy, not like the bloated, drug-addled angry pressmen you see nowadays.