• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attitude.

Custom_Grafx

I can't stand this attitude I'm seeing more of recently.

"I know I owe you $1500 but I can only pay $900 now, I will pay the rest later".

No joke...

The next time I have to do one of their cars, they're only getting one door done... with a bit of...

"I know I had to do the 2 doors, but I can only do one today. I'll do the other one when you pay me for the first one."

iSign

I'll reschedule for "later" then... since I require complete payment upon completion of work,..

..or use any major credit card & you have 30 days credit!

Custom_Grafx

It is especially annoying when a regular who normally pays on agreed terms starts doing this... you know what I mean? I'm sure you've had it happen...

Am I supposed to get the $hits, or am I supposed to be sympathetic and understanding and accomodate? I mean, it works both ways don't it? You need it NOW! the BEST quality and the BEST price, and then you pay late? It just doesn't sit well with me... I have my limits...

iSign

I don't usually get it from regulars... but that does sting... because I wouldn't even "let" it happen with anyone else.. but I do show a little more trust with regulars, which does open up greater risk for that...

I had a guy 15 months ago do that... for the balance on $2000 worth of even banners.. he gave me a line the event funds were trickling in, and those were the funds he needed to get before paying me.. he made that claim with a post dated check, so he could get the banners... and then he called and told my voice mail that he needed more time,..

I called his bank 3 days in a row to find funds available & then rushed down & traded his check (made out to my business) for a cashiers check (made out to my business... since they can't "cash" that kind of check) I got my money & secretly hoped the scumbag would bounce some other checks as a result..

guy came back 3 months ago for this years annual event banners... CASH UP FRONT - NO EXCEPTIONS... he knew why so I never mentioned it... and I got my cash!

tampaprinting

Tampa Printing
I feel ya! I tell my guys, that if they do it once, plan on it happening again. If the customer insists on not paying for something minor until it's done, I'll consider it... if they screw around without paying when it's done, they don't get another chance... they're on permanant prepay in full from there on out... company policy at that point. I hate when customers do that! If's a sizeable job though, forget about it... half up front, non refundable and the rest when it's completed.

ucmj22

I've got about 4 grand floating out there for the local minor leave baseball team... They just picked up more signage today... Hope they pay...

slipperyfrog

Kind of had that with an insurance company with a vehicle wrap. Luckily it was before the work started. Went to their business to get agreement signatures. At that point they wanted 50% off the previously agreed upon price before they would sign since "the economy was bad". I said sure no problem. Just as long as they give me top end insurance for my auto, home, life and business.......and I want premiums that are 50% off since "the economy was bad". They said it was an unreal comparison and would have to look elsewhere.

Oh well guess the low quality vinyl, no lamination, I'll wrap your car folks just got some business.

Bly

Some people I give credit, others are COD.
And sometimes I work out an arrangement like your customer has suggested if they are a bit short. It's my call though.
I generally try not to be a d1ck about it unless I want to stop working for them.
Keeping it businesslike and not taking it personally is the best way forward.

KARYN BUSH

I got an email from a long time client after I sent him an invoice for truck lettering...when I letter on location I charge a $25 location fee...PITA fee in my mind. why should I leave $ on the table. Not to mention I just lettered a truck last month for them and its been on every invoice since 2005.

His email was just:
"location fee?? when did you invent that one?
of course this went right up my ass....so my response was:
Rather brilliant, no? lol....I invented location fees years ago (beginning of 2005) because I didn't think it was fair to my customers who bring their trucks/vans to me and arrange for a ride back n forth, to be charged the same as when I go on location for other clients and save them the hassle of drop off and pick up. It used to be $15 back when gas was cheap but went up to $25 in 2008...plus there's always the chance...even though ever so slight, that I may screw up and have to make a trip back to studio to cut something again, whereas, if I was here, I'd just have to take a few steps to the plotter and recut.
Hell if it's more than 15 miles I charge $50.
Make sense?

No reply back....oh well....maybe he got the point. Mind you this is a decent size construction company who I'm sure would charge for delivery.
Personally, if I was him, I would have ask my secretary to pull up some of my previous invoices and look at them first because making an ass of myself and act like I'm trying to douche him for an extra $25.
So yeah the attitude of "it's a bad economy, here's some k-y, bend over baby", lies on deaf ears here in my little world.

J

john1

Hey man, get what you can get if it's to the point where they owe you and won't pay it. $900 of $1500 is better than $0 of $1500 at the end of the day.

Techman

$900 of $1500 is better than $0 of $1500 at the end of the day.

no it isn't..
It isn't better to have loved and lost it that to have never loved either.
All that touchy feely feel good does nothing for the lost income. I 've been ripped off a few times. But not so much lately. Collection agencies work wonders for getting money and making the freeloader get all stressed out..

J

john1

no it isn't..
It isn't better to have loved and lost it that to have never loved either.
All that touchy feely feel good does nothing for the lost income. I 've been ripped off a few times. But not so much lately. Collection agencies work wonders for getting money and making the freeloader get all stressed out..

So your telling me, Someone owes you $1500 and can give you only $900 right now that that isn't better than them saying "I don't have any money at all". Take what you can get at this point and take care of getting the rest however you need to.

I would have gotten 50% down in the first place but some is better than none.

signmeup

I got an email from a long time client after I sent him an invoice for truck lettering...when I letter on location I charge a $25 location fee...PITA fee in my mind. why should I leave $ on the table. Not to mention I just lettered a truck last month for them and its been on every invoice since 2005.

His email was just:
Rather brilliant, no? lol....I invented location fees years ago (beginning of 2005) because I didn't think it was fair to my customers who bring their trucks/vans to me and arrange for a ride back n forth, to be charged the same as when I go on location for other clients and save them the hassle of drop off and pick up. It used to be $15 back when gas was cheap but went up to $25 in 2008...plus there's always the chance...even though ever so slight, that I may screw up and have to make a trip back to studio to cut something again, whereas, if I was here, I'd just have to take a few steps to the plotter and recut.
Make sense?

No reply back....oh well....maybe he got the point. Mind you this is a decent size construction company who I'm sure would charge for delivery.
Personally, if I was him, I would have ask my secretary to pull up some of my previous invoices and look at them first because making an ass of myself and act like I'm trying to douche him for an extra $25.
So yeah the attitude of "it's a bad economy, here's some k-y, bend over baby", lies on deaf ears here in my little world.
You're a feisty one. I like it. :notworthy:

HulkSmash

His email was just:
Make sense?

Your customer is lucky. We charge 170 round trip to go to a customer location.

Custom_Grafx

Some people I give credit, others are COD.
And sometimes I work out an arrangement like your customer has suggested if they are a bit short. It's my call though.
I generally try not to be a d1ck about it unless I want to stop working for them.
Keeping it businesslike and not taking it personally is the best way forward.

Thanks Brian, good advice. I don't want to stop working for them but yeah, it's hard when there's an April in the mix... As small as that one may be, it's still there, and it's just plain bull.

To make it even better, they are a "Really sorry to do this to you again, but I need this tomorrow" type of person...

I even drove their stuff up north for em a couple months back. I know one thing, THAT is never gonna happen again.

weaselboogie

So your telling me, Someone owes you $1500 and can give you only $900 right now that that isn't better than them saying "I don't have any money at all". Take what you can get at this point and take care of getting the rest however you need to.

I would have gotten 50% down in the first place but some is better than none.

Don't be your customers b*tch. If your only getting 50% of what is owed to you, you've LOST money for even taking the job. Don't just accept that this is all you're going to get... take their keester to court for the rest.

J

john1

Don't be your customers b*tch. If your only getting 50% of what is owed to you, you've LOST money for even taking the job. Don't just accept that this is all you're going to get... take their keester to court for the rest.

I didn't say accept only that, i said take what you can right now and get the other remaining balance whatever way you decide (court)

Anyway you look at it, that $900 will help pay your bills, $0 will not. If your not giving me all the money you owe me and can give me some well dammit hand over what you have right now and the rest will be handled legally.

jasonx

If a customer wants credit follow your procedure for client. Make them fill out all the paper work for an account to apply for credit.