• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Authorized GM Signage

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Looking for an Authorized wholesaler to make logo boxes (LED) signage for our local auto dealer. Non of my local manufacturing companies will touch it because they are not authorized...any one know a good company?

Thanks!

Silvertip

I believe AGI is the only approved vendor for GM signage.
Ok Great info-Thanks! I have found a couple suppliers that will make the signage and a couple that won't touch it. My question is this: If an authorized dealer contracts me to do signage for them do I need special permissions? Do I get the Auto dealer to sign a waiver type document or do I have to go directly to GM?
I did some work a while back for a radio station and I had to get a one time permit to print our State teams logos....Vikings, Twins etc. from the actual team to print their logos.
I don't want to get in any issues over it but would definitely like to have the job so just looking for the best way to cover my bases and still bring an affordable product to my customer.
Any light on this subject would be well appreciated! TIA!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
To me, the choices come down to contacting GM directly and asking if you can reproduce their logo for the signs or buying through an approved vendor.
C.Y.A. Always. And just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.
Would you get away with producing it yourself (or having someone who's not an authorized manufacturer do it)? Probably. What happens if they decide to make an example out of you, though? I'll admit my college courses were in criminal law, not civil, but I think you'd find that- no matter what the dealer signed for you- any judgement would be in favor of the copyright/trademark holder.
My .02.

Silvertip

That is exactly why I am on here asking questions! I am a big fan of CMA and I plan to go about doing it the right way just have not done it before so need to know the best way to do the right thing and this place always has someone who knows more than I that is willing to share info! Thank you!

Silvertip

AGI is in fact the only authorized. I have been schooled in how this will work-Thank you so much for the info it sure saved me time as I was not able to find much info on how to go about this online or thru the dealer even. Have a great day!

signbrad

GM, like many other large franchise operations, strictly controls everything connected with brand image, even interior decor and furniture. Dealers are given options to choose from, but they are not unlimited. It's hard to believe that a dealer would not be familiar with the rules regarding sign work. It's all part of their contractual relationship with GM. Dealerships can deviate on suppliers of certain things with permission. But if you explore the website below, it's obvious that signage is not one of them.
Was this dealer trying to go around GM to save money?
The owner of a trademark has the exclusive right to control how and when a trademark is used, of course.
But this seems to be more than just an intellectual property issue. I would think that if the dealer doesn't follow the rules he would risk losing his franchise.

GM Facility Image

Brad in Kansas City

Patentagosse

GM, like many other large franchise operations, strictly controls everything connected with brand image, even interior decor and furniture. Dealers are given options to choose from, but they are not unlimited. It's hard to believe that a dealer would not be familiar with the rules regarding sign work. It's all part of their contractual relationship with GM. Dealerships can deviate on suppliers of certain things with permission. But if you explore the website below, it's obvious that signage is not one of them.
Was this dealer trying to go around GM to save money?
The owner of a trademark has the exclusive right to control how and when a trademark is used, of course.
But this seems to be more than just an intellectual property issue. I would think that if the dealer doesn't follow the rules he would risk losing his franchise.

GM Facility Image

Brad in Kansas City

Sometimes the dealer may just want to scratch your back after you've spent $70k on a brand new Denali pickup, don't you think? I don't think they want to cut corners or save few bucks... If you buy 'em a vehicle, maybe thay just want to let you do some work in return