• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question auto wrap, door edges cut or wrap?

petepaz

let me start by saying wrapping vehicles is not my specialty i only do like 1 or two a year with that said.....when you wrap car/truck doors its always tough to get in hinge area of the door (real tight squeeze) so i googled this to see what others do and i saw a couple guys just cut the edge flush with the edge of the door line. i normally put adhesive promoter on the edge both on the outside area and as best i can on the inside area then i will wrap roughly 3/4" of vinyl around the edge and i slap some edge sealer on the inside over the edge. haven't had any failures that i know of but it would definitely be easier to just trim the edge flush so wanted to see what you people who do wraps all the time do?

i guess this question can apply to any hard to reach area

AKwrapguy

let me start by saying wrapping vehicles is not my specialty i only do like 1 or two a year with that said.....when you wrap car/truck doors its always tough to get in hinge area of the door (real tight squeeze) so i googled this to see what others do and i saw a couple guys just cut the edge flush with the edge of the door line. i normally put adhesive promoter on the edge both on the outside area and as best i can on the inside area then i will wrap roughly 3/4" of vinyl around the edge and i slap some edge sealer on the inside over the edge. haven't had any failures that i know of but it would definitely be easier to just trim the edge flush so wanted to see what you people who do wraps all the time do?

i guess this question can apply to any hard to reach area

It all depends on what your doing. If your doing a color change that yes, wrap around the door. If your just doing a work vehicle we usually just cut flush with the door.

letterman7

Not wrapping, but lots of municipal graphics. I try to wrap the edge; I'll cut down the center of the gap and wrap what's left. Those door hinge areas.. sometimes you can reach through the open door to the front and work your fingers along the edge. Not easy and not on all vehicles, but that's my go-to method.

As others have said if color change, wrap the little more. If commercial, angle blade away from door and cut flush. Will give you just enough with the angled blade to cover most all the existing color

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber

I love tools and that's a nice tool but you can do the same thing with a regular knife and very little practice. Concentrate on putting pressure on the plastic or metal part of the blade holder. It will self center and the blade follows behind cutting the vinyl.

With a little practice you can save a lot of money.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Typically the image below shows how I trim a commercial printed wrap. For color changes you work each vehicle panel separately and wrap allot more edges. If you do wrap edges you need a 1/4" to make sure it will hold especially if it is under stress.
Trimming.jpg

letterman7

I love tools and that's a nice tool but you can do the same thing with a regular knife and very little practice. Concentrate on putting pressure on the plastic or metal part of the blade holder. It will self center and the blade follows behind cutting the vinyl.

With a little practice you can save a lot of money.

:) My hands aren't as steady as they used to be. With layered municipal graphics (reflective etc) it's sometimes hard to see the exact center of the gap, even if it's "pushed" inwards. I'd rather have an "edge" in cutting if I can get it.

Yellotools USA

Merchant Member
Cutting at 30-45 is definitely the way to go. It gives you a bit more vinyl to tuck up and under and gives a better finished look. The SasserCut is primarily used for speed with lots of gaps like vents or for commercial/fleet wraps. It's also a fail-safe tool as it will always cut in the middle with the blade secured between the two wheel parts. The main focus of our tools is to save you time. If you're in it for the long haul, over time, these "2 second improvements" as we like to call them, all add up and make you leaner and meaner when it comes to your business. We offer the SasserCut in a Set or by itself for $38 so it isn't too much of an investment in your time. You can also just flip the Sasser around and use only the wheel to trace the groove first and then flip it around and use to cut. It's great around those circular gas doors too and with the 4.0 wheel I get great results around headlights too as the bigger wheel exposes a lot less blade. I'd also suggest a good tucking tool to finish off with. I see too many installers just use heat and their finger or a squeegee with a buffer to tuck around the edges. Typically this is a "drag" motion which is really just moving adhesive in the direction you are dragging. We have some tucking tools that are rounded specifically to "push" adhesive down and into place for a better seal over time. :)

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Sasser cutpro was a waste of money big time. You can still make bad cuts where you cut closer to one edge.
I never wrap around the edges more than 1/8. After 10+ years and 1000s of cars i have never had a single issue with vinyl lifting. If you do commercial wrap try to cut in an angle like how that picture was showing. With custom wraps i open the door and cut in a 90 degree angle right behind the door edge. Completely hides the original color but no need to lay more than that. If you do it just makes the removal twice as long.

Yellotools USA

Merchant Member
Sorry you had that issue with the SasserCut. To each his own I guess. We've sold thousands world wide with great feedback. I can't understand how that's possible where you cut closer to one edge without it being user error though. The blade sits directly in the middle of two parts of a wheel. If you roll the wheel in the middle of a gap then it should always cut in the center. Can you give me some constructive feedback other that "waste of money big time" and perhaps we can incorporate better directions with the tool? Thanks!