• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Average pay

billsines

I think it partly depends on what skills you have. It also kind of depends on what other kinds of jobs are available in your area. If it's more profitable to switch fields in order to make more money hourly, people will do it, at least around here.

The RV industry is HUGE around here. And the economy is booming. That makes labor very tight around here, which drives up the cost of labor, no matter if you're a sign company owner or otherwise. I have a controller friend of mine that works at another company who is having a hard time keeping people at $25-$30 per hour because a few of the RV factories are paying in upwards of $50 per hour. So the thought process is, if you want to keep someone quality, you better pay up. Or automate, if your shop allows for something like that.

ams

This makes little to no sense. The SIZE of a company should have no bearing on the pay of an employee. Compensation should always be based on skill, experience, certain work traits, and essential asset to the company.

You are wrong. You really think a one man shop with no employees just starting up is going to afford someone at $25/hour? You really think a small company say 3 employees doing $150,000 / year can afford a new person with a salary of $75,000? You know nothing about this stuff so don't lead people in the wrong direction.

a77

3 person company doing $150,000/year? That don't add up either.

Everyone is going to think differently on this. But I would say that a person working at a small company is worth more to that company than in a bigger shop. If you are small... say 1-5 people... think about how disruptive it would be to have one of your key people leave. Larger companies can handle these changes easier as they have larger teams and someone can step into other people's roles to help out.

Gkgrafx

I have worked for small shops in the past and a large business like the one i am at now. The small shop was making about 10% if what the larger shop is making, and im still getting the same pay. So i guess it all depends on what the owners feel your worth.

Gkgrafx

Is anyone here from Texas? What is the average pay for someone with a high caliber of skills in graphics? This is a question for owners, would you pay someone that is a high caliber employee more than $15 an hour? Or is $15 an hour already a high pay?

ams

It also depends on your location. Someone in New York City is going to make a lot more than the guy in the backwoods of Alabama.

Gkgrafx

I pay $15 for a standard installer in Texas
If i was just doing installs that would be fine. That is average for a installer. But for someone who prepresses, designs, prints, custom profiles, does finishing, installs, sales, customer services, site surveys, etc. $15 doesn't cut it...lol im just saying. But i guess i would have own my own shop to see what it feels like to be in an employers position. It it is hard to argue when your just an employee.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If i was just doing installs that would be fine. That is average for a installer. But for someone who prepresses, designs, prints, custom profiles, does finishing, installs, sales, customer services, site surveys, etc. $15 doesn't cut it...lol im just saying. But i guess i would have own my own shop to see what it feels like to be in an employers position. It it is hard to argue when your just an employee.

Your right. It didnt cut it for me too so I went out on my own. Now I make $60-$100+/hr.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your right. It didnt cut it for me too so I went out on my own. Now I make $60-$100+/hr.

So, is that clear after taxes and not including overhead, utilities, rent, mortgage and meeting and matching employees paychecks, expenses to run the machinery, supplies, insurances, gasoline and all the other things needed to run a business..... any kinda business ??

GetTarps

90% of employees think they are need to be paid more. What I would question is:

1. How are your work conditions?
2. What can you do to improve yourself...ie: Lose weight, get along with co-workers, hygiene? Etc.
3. Look in the mirror for self evaluation

You can move all around the country but you cannot escape yourself.

If all the checkmarks are checked...sit down with your boss and CALMLY ask him what you can do to get to $25.00 an hour. Also, build a case for yourself on why you should make X dollars. Be open to negotiation. Good luck!!

pokmijn

From Central Europe point of view. Experienced installer, wide format printer, can do car wrapping etc, over 10 years of experience = 1300 - 1700 EUR net (8-10 hours/day with 1 hour brake/21 days a month). Medical coverage is full for all who are employed so this is not the part of salary, this part is taken by our gov.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So, is that clear after taxes and not including overhead, utilities, rent, mortgage and meeting and matching employees paychecks, expenses to run the machinery, supplies, insurances, gasoline and all the other things needed to run a business..... any kinda business ??

Yup, 61% profit margin. The joys of being small.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You are wrong. You really think a one man shop with no employees just starting up is going to afford someone at $25/hour? You really think a small company say 3 employees doing $150,000 / year can afford a new person with a salary of $75,000? You know nothing about this stuff so don't lead people in the wrong direction.
I know nothing, ok I guess making a million this year with 5 employees and a 48% profit margin so far means I know nothing. I'm not going to pay my employees 50% more just be cause we doubled our income over the last 3 years.. I'm also not going to be looking for employees who want well over market with no offerings that I can't find in other candidates. Our highest paid employee gets paid 25% more than I pay myself and our lowest paid employee gets $10/he because he is unwilling to advance himself and show he is worth more to the company. Everyone else gets paid on par with what I pay myself and my brother the other owner. So yes AMS I know nothing.

Circleville Signs

Here's the thing that an employee has to understand - and sometimes they just dont ever grasp it. You are worth roughly 25-35% of what your presence increases the revenue of the shop by. So, if by bringing you on board, your employer can generate REVENUE of roughly $100k, then you're worth $25-35k. Here's why - as an employee you get the benefit of a steady paycheck, with no risk associated (other than possibly being fired or laid off).

If you are truly a skilled installer who can do everything from wraps and vinyl install up to cabinet and electrical sign installation, you're MUCH better off setting up an independent company and targeting smaller shops who don't have the revenue to bring on someone with your skill set, and offering to be their wholesale install source.

My partner and I did this with Vinyl Install Pros. We each own our own small shops, and focus on the projects that we are passionate about. But we have probably 10 different clients in 1 large city where we do most of their graphic installations. It saves them money because they have no payroll taxes to pay, and they only pay us when they have a job for us.

equippaint

There is nothing simple about an employee or what to pay them. Your best guy ever may start at $9/hr and your biggest waste may be the superhero you bit the bullet and hired at $25/hr. If youre growing and have the time, find the right guy that is smart enough to learn but doesnt have specific industry experience. Train them well , increase their pay on a regular basis to where its fair for both you and them and then do it again... and again. My current lead guy started at minimum wage and knew nothing about this business. He now pretty much runs my shop. It was not my intention but its how it happened. Weve tried "experienced" 1000 times, none still work here. The good experienced ones are all employed, if theyre not and looking be skeptical. I try and make it a point to only hire the currently employed.
Everywhere I go I "scout" for employees. Look for the standout when you grab some mcdonalds, the grocery store whatever. They will not be there forever and will be looking to advance at some point. Be proactive, noone said its required to only hire people that respond to an ad.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Here's the thing that an employee has to understand - and sometimes they just dont ever grasp it. You are worth roughly 25-35% of what your presence increases the revenue of the shop by. So, if by bringing you on board, your employer can generate REVENUE of roughly $100k, then you're worth $25-35k. Here's why - as an employee you get the benefit of a steady paycheck, with no risk associated (other than possibly being fired or laid off).

If you are truly a skilled installer who can do everything from wraps and vinyl install up to cabinet and electrical sign installation, you're MUCH better off setting up an independent company and targeting smaller shops who don't have the revenue to bring on someone with your skill set, and offering to be their wholesale install source.

My partner and I did this with Vinyl Install Pros. We each own our own small shops, and focus on the projects that we are passionate about. But we have probably 10 different clients in 1 large city where we do most of their graphic installations. It saves them money because they have no payroll taxes to pay, and they only pay us when they have a job for us.

Your so right! When I was working for someone else and realized I was really only making 25% of my added value, I knew I was done right then and there. Sick thinking someone else was keeping 75% of my money. Making 100% of your value is well worth the risk.