• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Average Square foot pricing for vehicle wraps

CES020

Just for the record, there are companies doing that for all retail stores. A friend of 30 years works for one of them. Chains call them say "We want a price comparison on all _________ with X, Y, and Z competitors."

They have people all over the country that they call, give them the ideas and then they go into all the different stores and actually scan the barcodes.

Then they will create the report, send it to the customer and be done.

It's very common in retail and it's done on a daily basis.

I know what it takes per month to keep the lights on, keep the phone in service, and keep the heat or AC rollin'. I know what my materials cost plus my markup and how much time it's gonna take me to do the job and multiply by my hourly rate. If I get the job...GREAT...if I don't..at least I didn't burn a bunch of material and "pay my customer" to letter his truck and miss out on the couple hours I could be ridin' the scooter or cruisin' in my hot rod while I drive by the the hack shop down the street and watch them lose money...cuz when they go outta business in a couple of months I wanna buy the cool new printer they just bought for about 25 cents on the dollar....

rjssigns

It's very common in retail and it's done on a daily basis.

Retail deals with commodities that hundreds of other stores have access to.

Custom artwork designed to maximize ROI combined with skillful installation is not a commodity.

(missed my post din'cha)

royster13

Pricing is always a "slippery slope"......You have to set your prices to both make sales and make money....If you you are well established and have lots of capital, you can pass on jobs that do not meet your price expectations....If you are hungrier, you might have to take some jobs that are not as profitable....

threeputt

There is very little about a custom wrap that relates to what Walmart charges for a 50 foot garden hose.

The bad advice dispensed above will not help earnest forum members here define what they need to charge for a vehicle wrap.

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself. On one of our main streets here you can buy a hamburger for .99, and almost next door, spend nearly ten dollars.

Both stores thrive. Side by side, on a daily basis. Why?

Because those lunch customers perceive the diffferences in the two products and make their buying decision based upon that knowlege.

CES020

(missed my post din'cha)

No, I saw it and I agree with it, I was just stating that the retail business price checks all the time.

I've never called a competitor and asked for pricing, but I have often referred to pricing guides from sign councils and trade publications.

felisha27

Thank you everyone. We have not come down I was just curious. But the ones of you that said we should base pricing on what our over head is, are right that is what we have been doing. And some of the customers that chose to use a cheaper option end up cominng back because the quality of work did not compare. But thank you again for all of the replies.

CES020

Just for the record, I do NOT think you should base it on your overhead. If you work from your home and pay no rent, have little bills to run your business and your cousin gave you the printer, does that mean your pricing should be very close to material cost plus time?

I don't think so. I think your price should be what the market will pay.

felisha27

We know what we need to cover our overhead and make a profit. Also, we are in an actual shop. I know the difference between a good profit and one that barely covers cost. I'm confident in our prices I was curious what the average price per square foot was to see in the market whether we fell in the high or middle price range. But we have not come down in price just because a couple customers went the cheapest route. Again, thank you guys for all of the input.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Not sure why all the WOW's.
• Know your overhead and what you "NEED" to charge
• Know the value (quality) of your product
• Compare your prices to local competitors to see what prices customers will be getting quoted from your competitors.
I don't see why all the gasps.

People lie if they say they don't know or don't care what their competitors charge if it's of any quality because such competition is defined as just that..."Competition".
YES I've come down on my price a little to beat a competitor so that I would get the large job that would lead to more jobs in the future. I was only able to do that because I knew what they were charging. They do the same quality work as we do...so YES they are a competitor and YES people call around to price high ticket items if they are intelligent. YES it is important to know what they are charging.
It's a common sense, elementary business practice.

threeputt

I think most of the "wows" are from the viewpoint that there might be a "right" price for vehicle wraps. And by calling around you can determine that. Three out of four shops, blah, blah, blah.

To my mind, that seems to leave out too many intangibles. Wraps, and we've done quite a few, (two this week) involve so many things.

Not to go into all of them here, but is the wrap a one-only, or a fleet, the type of vehicle is a huge factor, who's doing the art and what will that involve, (revisions, etc.), how long can they leave it, are they flexible, etc.

In the time we've been doing these I've found even that customer's expectations figure into it.

Do we square foot price? H*ll no. Never have, never will. Wrap a Volkswagen bug? Chevy HHR? Based on a sq. ft. price. What if the competition is doing them for $500.00? That would not influence me in the least. I'm totally not interested. Don't care if 3 out of 4 shops are in that range. I can't do one for that nor am I even remotely interested.

I don't know what the competition is charging for their wraps. Don't care. What I DO care about is how I come out on each quoted wrap. Then I "experience rate" the job and we sit and talk about it. Adjust as necessary for the next quote.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I think most of the "wows" are from the viewpoint that there might be a "right" price for vehicle wraps. And by calling around you can determine that. Three out of four shops, blah, blah, blah.

To my mind, that seems to leave out too many intangibles. Wraps, and we've done quite a few, (two this week) involve so many things.

Not to go into all of them here, but is the wrap a one-only, or a fleet, the type of vehicle is a huge factor, who's doing the art and what will that involve, (revisions, etc.), how long can they leave it, are they flexible, etc.

In the time we've been doing these I've found even that customer's expectations figure into it.

Do we square foot price? H*ll no. Never have, never will. Wrap a Volkswagen bug? Chevy HHR? Based on a sq. ft. price. What if the competition is doing them for $500.00? That would not influence me in the least. I'm totally not interested. Don't care if 3 out of 4 shops are in that range. I can't do one for that nor am I even remotely interested.

I don't know what the competition is charging for their wraps. Don't care. What I DO care about is how I come out on each quoted wrap. Then I "experience rate" the job and we sit and talk about it. Adjust as necessary for the next quote.

Really, so if your competition is getting $2,000 more for the same jobs ...you don't care what they are charging? How is that smart business?
Of course if they were charging $500 it wouldn't influence you...because you would already have paid attention to the 1st 2 bullet points in my comment. But once I DO know their price and if I CAN come down a little to get a job that will pay, I have that option. NOT possible if you don't know what they are charging though is it?
I didn't say to price match what the others are doing or charge per sq.ft.
Read it again. Those objections are part of the 3 bullet points. My point was that it's foolish NOT knowing what your competition is doing around you. It can't hurt you, it can only help you.
I still haven't heard a good reason NOT to know how your competition prices.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
• Compare your prices to local competitors to see what prices customers will be getting quoted from your competitors.

People lie if they say they don't know or don't care what their competitors charge if it's of any quality because such competition is defined as just that..."Competition".
YES I've come down on my price a little to beat a competitor so that I would get the large job that would lead to more jobs in the future. I was only able to do that because I knew what they were charging. They do the same quality work as we do...so YES they are a competitor and YES people call around to price high ticket items if they are intelligent. YES it is important to know what they are charging.

Really, so if your competition is getting $2,000 more for the same jobs ...you don't care what they are charging? How is that smart business?
Of course if they were charging $500 it wouldn't influence you...because you would already have paid attention to the 1st 2 bullet points in my comment. But once I DO know their price and if I CAN come down a little to get a job that will pay, I have that option. NOT possible if you don't know what they are charging though is it?
Read it again. Those objections are part of the 3 bullet points. My point was that it's foolish NOT knowing what your competition is doing around you. It can't hurt you, it can only help you.

I don't know about you, but for me, I know what my competition can do and how well. I don't give a rat's behind what they charge.

If I based my pricing and business model on my competition, I'd be like them and how would that weather and do me any good ??

If I can't explain how much better my product is than a competitors and why my price is worth it, then I'm no good at my job. I might as well be selling burgers and super-sizing everything, cause that what you sound like.

Sure, if someone comes in and says your price was $2,500 and so and so's is $250.00 less, I'll probably match it and maybe go 10% more, but only if I see some potential and a need to do it.

There's no way I know what they're charging and really, like i said, I don't care. They don't pay my bills... I do. They don't have my employees, I do. They don't have anything like me.... in fact the majority of them are lying about what they can do.

Here's one for ya..... earlier this week I went to see a potential client. They need quite a bit of work and I'd like the job. While there, I saw a sign for a competitors business and said to the people, does he do any of your work ?? Yep, he does quite a bit and it's just what we want. Well, that's because he farms almost everything to us and we do his work. He's just a middleman. They looked at each other and grinned while I told them.... guess I'm gonna have better prices than him.

I know he's practically doubling my costs to him, so I'm gonna get more than I normally do from him and still be less and come out looking good.

If you happen to know or find out what your competition is getting, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the method in how some described to get it. But again, nothing wrong with running your business your way and not by your competitors view. I guess, it's just not my cup a tea to worry about everyone else and not what's going on in my own back yard.

threeputt

It's smart business because I know my costs and what I'd like for profit out of each and every job.

In your example, (with competitors charging $2000 more on a wrap - assuming it's the very same job) one of two things is going on.

1) Their overhead is very high and that's the right price to charge (for them) or....
2) They're gouging, and when word gets around it will hurt them.

mgieske

I don't know about you, but for me, I know what my competition can do and how well. I don't give a rat's behind what they charge.

If I based my pricing and business model on my competition, I'd be like them and how would that weather and do me any good ??

If I can't explain how much better my product is than a competitors and why my price is worth it, then I'm no good at my job. I might as well be selling burgers and super-sizing everything, cause that what you sound like.

Sure, if someone comes in and says your price was $2,500 and so and so's is $250.00 less, I'll probably match it and maybe go 10% more, but only if I see some potential and a need to do it.

There's no way I know what they're charging and really, like i said, I don't care. They don't pay my bills... I do. They don't have my employees, I do. They don't have anything like me.... in fact the majority of them are lying about what they can do.

Here's one for ya..... earlier this week I went to see a potential client. They need quite a bit of work and I'd like the job. While there, I saw a sign for a competitors business and said to the people, does he do any of your work ?? Yep, he does quite a bit and it's just what we want. Well, that's because he farms almost everything to us and we do his work. He's just a middleman. They looked at each other and grinned while I told them.... guess I'm gonna have better prices than him.

I know he's practically doubling my costs to him, so I'm gonna get more than I normally do from him and still be less and come out looking good.

If you happen to know or find out what your competition is getting, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the method in how some described to get it. But again, nothing wrong with running your business your way and not by your competitors view. I guess, it's just not my cup a tea to worry about everyone else and not what's going on in my own back yard.

So stealing your wholesale clients customers is more ethical than price shopping?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So stealing your wholesale clients customers is more ethical than price shopping?

I never went after them..... or behind this guy's back. They called me on two separate referrals from two of our other customers. I did not know he was doing any of their work until they told me then and there. The shop they are looking to replace is from New England somewhere. You can find this in an earlier thread I started about dasher boards. This just happens to be honest to the point facts. I saw he was advertised there and they told me he does some of their work. In the overall package deal, this middleman guy is supplying about 10% of the whole thing I'm proposing. I'm putting together a new package deal and that just happens to be a small part of it.

I guess it did sound a little like I was doing that, but believe me, I'm the last person who would do something like that. We have far too many customers to go after the small beans as you guys are proposing.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
It's smart business because I know my costs and what I'd like for profit out of each and every job.

In your example, (with competitors charging $2000 more on a wrap - assuming it's the very same job) one of two things is going on.

1) Their overhead is very high and that's the right price to charge (for them) or....
2) They're gouging, and when word gets around it will hurt them.

Knowing your costs and what you want to profit each job are 2 of the 3 things I said to do.
Knowing what they are charging is the part the lets you have insight into your market get extra money if it's there to get. I didn't say to gouge, but if your market is paying 2k over what you charge...you'd still be lower priced than them if you charged $500 more.
Why are people fighting this notion of knowing what your competitor is doing when it CANNOT hurt you it CAN only HELP you?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Looks like you pretty much agree with me and just misunderstood what I said.
I never said to base pricing or business model on your competition. Re-read the first 2 points below.

[/QUOTE] Sure, if someone comes in and says your price was $2,500 and so and so's is $250.00 less, I'll probably match it and maybe go 10% more, but only if I see some potential and a need to do it. [/QUOTE]

Exactly what my 3rd point above is regarding.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Know your overhead and what you "NEED" to charge
Know the value (quality) of your product

These two points totally contradict what you say down here.

Looks like you pretty much agree with me and just misunderstood what I said.
I never said to base pricing or business model on your competition. Re-read the first 2 points below.

Sure, if someone comes in and says your price was $2,500 and so and so's is $250.00 less, I'll probably match it and maybe go 10% more, but only if I see some potential and a need to do it. [/QUOTE]

Exactly what my 3rd point above is regarding.[/QUOTE]

:cool1:

You're saying you need to know what they [your competition] are charging in order to underbid them. You say one thing, but promote/bulletize something else. Perhaps in your mind it's the same, but out here, it sounds like you're dependent on knowing what THEY are charging in order to be competitive. However, then you go on to say, if someone is way higher than you..... you need to raise your prices so you don't leave money on the table.... just so long as you don't go over their quote

So, what's the real need to know what they are charging ?? To raise or lower your prices ??

The way it sounds throughout your posts here.... you are basing everything on what the competition is getting, not what you need. Sorry if I don't grasp your three points, but you don't seem to be following them yourself. You appear to be anywhere you can be in order to get the job, regardless if it pays your bills or goes far beyond what you need or want.

Nothing wrong with making a killing here or there, but to depend on competition to get you there..... that's dangerous.

Here's another one for ya.

Years ago, we did almost all the signs in an Outlet Store Complex. We did literally 100's of signs a month. Suddenly, we noticed we weren't getting as many, but yet the signs were still going up. Hmmmm , what's different suddenly ?? Well, there's a new mall manager, who seems to have his fingers into lots of different things. Found out he told all the stores needing signs to give him their quotes and he'll see if he can get them a better price. Every bid he intercepted, we lost. BUT, not by a lot.... maybe $50 or so. Okay, that could happen once, twice or whatever, but not on every single one. So, Sparky here was taking our quotes, giving them to my competition and getting a kickback for the leads. Yeah, my kinda guy. Next three quotes, I made them so ridiculously cheap, you couldn't even get the materials for the job and I didn't get the bids. I heard there was some real chit going on about this and I got blamed for quoting so low. How did I expect to do them for that. I said, I didn't..... the kick-back-boy was gonna get his friends to do it. Payback's a b*tch. The management did away with this fool, after he got the snot beat out of him for flirting with some girl who was someone's wife and we got most of our accounts back. All because of cheating and trying to muscle in.

Again, what I said is to know what your competition is doing work-wise and quality-wise, but to heck with what they charge. I don't need what they get or maybe I need more, but it's the end product what sells for us.

threeputt

:cool1:

Again, what I said is to know what your competition is doing work-wise and quality-wise, but to heck with what they charge. I don't need what they get or maybe I need more, but it's the end product what sells for us.

Plus 1