• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Averege $/hr for wrapper in the US

Pegler911

What do you consider benefits? How long have you been working there? How long does it take you to install 1 wrap? What do you do besides wrapping?

I've been here two years, been in the industry since '95, I've been wrapping for 7 years, I can and do push a wrap out within realistic cost-effective timescales. I have vinyl and print shop experience using HP Latex/Gerber CAT UV and Roland Solvent, I've been making signs for a long time. Benefits include healthcare, dental, 401K, a savings scheme (which I don't use), and a quarterly bonus scheme.

HulkSmash

I've been here two years, been in the industry since '95, I've been wrapping for 7 years, I can and do push a wrap out within realistic cost-effective timescales. I have vinyl and print shop experience using HP Latex/Gerber CAT UV and Roland Solvent, I've been making signs for a long time. Benefits include healthcare, dental, 401K, a savings scheme (which I don't use), and a quarterly bonus scheme.

Honestly it sounds like you got an Ok deal. They should bump you up to 17.50 an hr if you're a diligent employee. I have no idea how you work, or what type of ethics you have. But 17.50 an hr plus all those benefits. Sounds like a pretty good deal for an installer.

PDX Wraps

Who gets 3k for a van wrap? If you include design I'd believe it.

$600 in material costs are accurate but you have an investment in equipment and have to maintain it, ink, waste, building and utilities, a color proof, and sales time to sell the job. Then add the labor to rip, print, laminate, and trim your prints. All that equals another $600 leaving you will $600 in profit. Install prices will be in the $600 - $800 range with approximately half profit. If the job goes well you could probably take close to a $1000 dollars out of the business, but you should be investing some of it back in the business for advertising, training, new equipment and growth.

10 years ago I was making $42,000 + health care and 15% of my salary in a Sep IRA. 2 years ago it was $75,000 with no benefits. I did more than just wrap, I was in involved in every aspect for all types of sign work in Kansas City. Obviously big cities are going to pay more than smaller cities and towns.

I have met owners who pay their installers like subcontractors. They were paid on the books but a percentage of what the job was worth based on their speed and quality. The owner used this method to keep them motivated even when they were working long hours or and or nights. Some of the installers made over $100k a year. I didn't ask but I am sure there was a lot of overtime in that 100k.

Some how you have to continue to grow your business so your best employees have room to grow and you have to compensate them or you may be competing against them. Whether they take their knowledge and connections to your competitors or strike out on their own, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Here in Oregon we do van wraps all day for $3,000 (no roof) with the design provided.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If I was a proficient installer I wouldn't settle for an hourly wage anywhere near $17.50 plus bennies if I could wrap a vehicle in 12 hours alone. (that's only $210) when I could wrap one as a freelancer for $600 in the same amount of time.
Of course...there's the whole steady work issue and traveling etc. But if you make your connections right and live in a metropolitan area you should be good.
Good installers are HARD to find and you can't keep selling wraps without one...making them valuable.
Kinda like plumbers charging between $45 and $90 an hour. Why? Because they can. They didn't get a college degree for plumbing to to it either.

Worked in a wrap shop for a couple days( 2 days).. Every wrap employee was a per job basis. And all jobs payed a lump sum for completed work. Quit because the owners were cheap assess.