• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

avery 1005 ears fiilm specs

Xcesiv

When I was doing my training on vehicle wrapping the team at avery said there wrap films don't damage OEM paints

Do they have this claim in writing anywhere at all

What about other brands?

I want to show my clients that we are using media that won't damage the paint

Thanks

anotherdog

as far as I'm aware wraps with wrap specific material don't damage paint, in fact they protect paint. The issue is that any non wrapped protions will age and discolor naturally while the protected stay the same.

I myself have not seen vehicle specific warranty other than material replacement where it has failed because of a manufacturung flaw. I doubt they would even go there since they don't warranty any other uses.

The installation and removal can damage the paint though, I have seen rust creep under the edges, particularly on older vehicles that is only revealed with the removal of vinyl... and of course the nice knife marks left by earlier installers. I did see one van that was only really held together by the elderly wrap, and they wanted a new wrap to go over the exisitng rust.

Scott Reynolds

When I was doing my training on vehicle wrapping the team at avery said there wrap films don't damage OEM paints

Sounds like you might have been disusing this over a cup of Cool-aid. :toasting:

The film isn't what damages the paint, its bad/old paint and improper removal technique.

Xcesiv

Sounds like you might have been disusing this over a cup of Cool-aid. :toasting:

The film isn't what damages the paint, its bad/old paint and improper removal technique.

true

when i did the Hexis and 3M courses, they all said that the vinyl wont damage the paint either

Its great that they all say this, but is there anything in writing saying that the application doesn't damage Paint.

I totally agree that the vinyl can protect paint and thats an easy sell. Its the "but will it damage my paint" question i would like to have some backup on.

Giving my customer "My word" that it wont damage it is 1 thing, the manufacturer noting it would be better.

Is there any notes from manufacturers stating the main causes of paint damage during a vehicle wrap maybe.

Scott Reynolds

Its great that they all say this, but is there anything in writing saying that the application doesn't damage Paint.

Giving my customer "My word" that it wont damage it is 1 thing, the manufacturer noting it would be better.

You're totally missing the point here. There is too many variables for an absolute guarantee. The manufacturers pretty much limit their liability by stating that the vinyl will not damage factory applied OEM finishes. To my knowledge they do not put this in writing because even factory applied finishes have been known to fail in the past (anybody remember the peelers from the late eighties and early nineties?).

You need to be honest with your customers and not give them your word that there want be damage there paint. Be honest and say that there is a remote chance but is a very rare. And also tell them that it will not damage OEM original paint that is in good condition. If the car has ever been repainted because of an accident, the chances a little higher than it will damage the paint.

Because of this, need to clearly state these facts on your work order, and also specify that you are not responsible for any damage. But verbally tell them that it is very rare that paint damage occurs on removal.

This second thing concerning removal, is you need to use the proper technique when removing their wrap. The vinyl should be warmed up a little (not cold) and you need to pull the vinyl back against itself and NOT out at a 90° angle.