• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Supercast - Comparable films suggestions - I just can't with this stuff anymore

zillion29

I have had it with with this stuff. Sick of the buckling liner in the plotter, sick of the buckling liner causing headstrikes and ink smears. So the question is, what do the gurus use as a latex ink receptive, 2 mil, white film with a white (not grey) adhesive layer?

JBurton

Signtologist
White adhesive instead of grey, that's not going to have much in the way of air egress as far as I know. Does it need to be 100% opaque?
Arlon's 6500 trans white has a white adhesive and it's cast, and their calendared alternative is 4100, though I've never used that stuff, but the 4500G clear I use prints great on my 560, so assuming it would have similar performance. I can vouch for laminating with arlon's 3220, 3170, and 3420 laminates, they're all fine, 3420 is calendared and likes to shrink over time, 3170 is cast, but not intended to conform to complex shapes.

MikePro

is the white/clear adhesive a deal breaker? there's some really great grey-backed conformable cast media out there and I've never seen my adhesive after install on glass but I use different vinyl for that application anyways.

zillion29

White adhesive instead of grey, that's not going to have much in the way of air egress as far as I know. Does it need to be 100% opaque?
Arlon's 6500 trans white has a white adhesive and it's cast, and their calendared alternative is 4100, though I've never used that stuff, but the 4500G clear I use prints great on my 560, so assuming it would have similar performance. I can vouch for laminating with arlon's 3220, 3170, and 3420 laminates, they're all fine, 3420 is calendared and likes to shrink over time, 3170 is cast, but not intended to conform to complex shapes.
The white adhesive stipulation comes from a rigid and OCD supervisor who insists that all window graphics have to be white on the back. Over the years, Avery has fiddled with the liner paper on supercast and it is unworkable. The stuff buckles within 60 seconds of coming off the roll - and it's not like the shop isn't temp controlled.

zillion29

is the white/clear adhesive a deal breaker? there's some really great grey-backed conformable cast media out there and I've never seen my adhesive after install on glass but I use different vinyl for that application anyways.
We use IJ40 and IJ180 for 90% of our stuff, but someone here has a rule that window graphics must be white on the back. So when there's a job that requires those rules, I have to load the Avery and watch it buckle and warp and prey there isn't a head strike.

signheremd

The buckling is from humidity level and a result of too thin a liner... That said, have you considered General Formulations vinyls - American made quality vinyl. If you want a clear adhesive (no one uses a white adhesive, just clear on white vinyl so the white shows - vinyl adhesive is clear or white) they have a number of choices:
1. 204 3mil clear adhesive Gloss White 5yr low tac removable
2. 216 Gloss White Promotional Vinyl clear adhesive 3yr
3. Metro Mark 209+ Matte White 3.5mil clear adhesive 5yr Vinyl
4. MetroGrafix 277+ Matte White 4.0mil clear adhesive 5yr Vinyl
I can say we use gray adhesive vinyl for windows and doors, but our customers have never complained or spec'd white (clear) adhesive. Different brands have a different shade of gray: Avery is dark, Orafol medium, General Formulations is a light gray. Most of the clear adhesive printable vinyls will be intermediate - though now many are polymeric. Hope this helps.

MikePro

big fan of white>grey on glass. it just looks right.
we use Briteline white trans vinyl for this application. white face&back, clear adhesive, decent pricepoint.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Does your printer do use white ink? Perhaps print on clear with a white base. Many clear medias will have a polyester backer that stays pretty flat.
I also +1 the GFC vinyls.