• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Awning Patch to Cover Old Logo with New. Need attachment method.

lazydave

We have a client with a relatively new awning. The end panel has their old logo on it. The sales dept. has requested a new fabric panel (Sunbrella) with the new logo screened thereon to be attached to the existing awning. Is there a standard method for attaching a full size panel (about an inch smaller all around) that will work without re-doing the entire awning or taking it down, removing the old panel and replacing it with the new? The client has asked to do it with Velcro or some similar method. Has anyone had this come up before? Thanks!

Techman

make a new panel.
The ink on sunbrella is a heat transfer product. You can very carefully heat it up and blow it out. But there is a fine line between hot enough to remove the graphic (maybe) and melting the sunbrella.
Patching is the same deal. Spend the time and care to make a patch and it will either work for a while then later on peel off,, or applying the patch will melt the base..

round man

the problem here is the client expects more from you than they are willing to pay for,...after lettering awnings for over 25 years at both the in house awning sign shop and as a subcontractor for the awning company,...I look at it like this,.... either they pay for a proper fix and or settle for the half assed fix they are willing to pay for,...they should pay to have the cover removed and a new panel sewn on properly

John Butto

awning

the problem here is the client expects more from you than they are willing to pay for,...after lettering awnings for over 25 years at both the in house awning sign shop and as a subcontractor for the awning company,...I look at it like this,.... either they pay for a proper fix and or settle for the half assed fix they are willing to pay for,...they should pay to have the cover removed and a new panel sewn on properly
This is the best advice, he is totally right about fixing the awning correctly. Sunbrella is top of the line material and a "patch" will never look right unless it is taken down and fixed the way he said.