• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back Door Wrap thoughts??

charliet

Customer didn't really give me any direction. He mentioned he wanted all that text and an American flag but I can't stand the big flag wraps. I like the colors(Metallic swatches for our Roland) but it seems kinda busy. Any thoughts on the Logo design and wrap layouts?

** Also I just realized the handle!! We would trim out closer to get the ET in NETWORKING more visible.

Attachments

• PROOF-01.jpg
    PROOF-01.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no nice way to say this, but that's one ugly layout/design.

• The colors are no good.
  • The placement on either or layout are both terrible.
  • There is no flow.
  • No continuity.
  • Fonts are atrocious.
  • Logo isn't very good, but that probably already belongs to them.
  • No breathing room.
  • Your eyes can't take a rest...... in fact, most viewers will probably look away rubbing the tears out of their eyes.

I know a lota people will say, if ya have nothing nice to say..... don't say anything, but this just doesn't work on any level whatsoever.

Please start over and go in another direction, entirely.

FatCat

Your layout doesn't read well and doesn't follow any kind of design. It appears that you're just placing things in the spaces where they will fit. (Obviously, it isn't helping that you have everything plus the kitchen sink on there)

Of the two the left one reads a little better. However, if it were me I'd put the company logo where the window area is, then do the grocery list above. I would ask to simplify and remove the names if possible, (looks unprofessional to me) list both numbers with the Commercial & Residential below that on the pass door, maybe license # on the driver door and be done.

rjssigns

Lots of sign/typography rules broken, but...

Show him both and do the one he's willing to cut the check for.

It's apparent the client has a vision in mind and wants want he wants. Proper layout, being typographically correct with perfect colors while trying to educate the customer doesn't pay the bills. Period.

We are all capable of doing amazing work given enough chain. Most time clients won't let ya off the porch.

There I said it.

Go ahead I have my asbestos suit on.

Craig Sjoquist

Stop what you are doing & read some books on layout & branding..all the books are mentioned in archives ..sorry if offended

charliet

Hahaha Much appreciated everyone! Most comments I've ever had on a subject! Yeah, I wasn't feeling it that much either. It's hard to do something when they want a lot of information on their vehicle. Say what you want and what you will.

As the dude would say, "That's just like your opinion man." :peace!:

Good day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can still get all the information on...... ya just can't make everything the front headlines.

Tone it down, use boxes or panles, find a color combination that work and make an order of what you want read first, second and so on. Use specific colors which will make certain areas dominate, while using more subtle colors for things to go the the background, along with weight and height. Find one or two fonts, make 'em good ones and keep it at that.

As for... do it, collect the check and so forth, that's very true, but you being the designer have broken many many rules. It's not their fault you haven't given them something worthwhile looking at to consider. You need to step up to the plate and offer something more than you have. Again, start over.

Jillbeans

(constructive advice removed...figure it out on your own like most of us do)
The whole thing looks like a hot mess, even a regular flag like everyone else has would look better than that mash-up of colors and weird fonts.
Love....Jill

Last edited:

shoresigns

Lots of good points brought up to improve this design, most importantly that it's far too cluttered and has no flow.

You're not going to win every battle as a designer, but bringing these things up is worth doing, as early on as possible. Pushing the customer to a simpler, less cluttered design will save you time and will of course give your customer much better return on their investment. You'll also be much happier when you realise that your customer is letting you call the shots because they know you're the expert. If you don't have the ability to communicate the reasons behind your design decisions, and you don't make an effort to build this skill, you're going to have a very frustrating career.

SignManiac

So if you had carte' blanche to design as you see fit, how would your version have looked? Just wondering if you could have designed a better layout with no restrictions...

rjssigns

So if you had carte' blanche to design as you see fit, how would your version have looked? Just wondering if you could have designed a better layout with no restrictions...

Pared down to its essence. 1) Logo/Hook 2) Primary copy 3) Contact info.

Your logo should give a solid visual cue as to what you're about.
Primary copy should be your tagline which will drive home the point of the logo.
Contact info in easy to read type.

We always ask: "Do you want to write a book or be effective"?

We studied visual cues in college, but more importantly the rapid demise of attention spans. You've got less than 5 seconds to make your play. If you can't "hook" in that span you're done. I found this very interesting and sad at the same time. The internet has caused a lot of issues with attention span.(studied that too)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pared down to its essence. 1) Logo/Hook 2) Primary copy 3) Contact info.

Your logo should give a solid visual cue as to what you're about.
Primary copy should be your tagline which will drive home the point of the logo.
Contact info in easy to read type.

We always ask: "Do you want to write a book or be effective"?

We
studied visual cues in college, but more importantly the rapid demise of attention spans. You've got less than 5 seconds to make your play. If you can't "hook" in that span you're done. I found this very interesting and sad at the same time. The internet has caused a lot of issues with attention span.(studied that too)

Well, we need GW in on this one, she not only studied this kinda stuff, she gost a degree in it and therefore can explain it for everyone ;-) She's smart.

rjssigns

Well, we need GW in on this one, she not only studied this kinda stuff, she gost a degree in it and therefore can explain it for everyone ;-) She's smart.

By all means. A refresher course is always welcome.

Sometimes I think I should have taken more psychology courses.

Jillbeans

Edited to remove my suggestion.
I was trying to be nice.
This, friends, is what the sign business has evolved into, a clueless person looking for help, and when given advice, kicks the helper.
Carry on with your bad self.

thesignguy1986

Can I ask why the stars and stripes are all white? Very simplistic looking and as mentioned above it looks like a cut vinyl job. Nothing wrong with cut vinyl but if you are wrapping why not change the background a little to IMO that blue is just not doing it. Just my 2c but then again I'd prefer to do banners all day long

TammieH

There's no nice way to say this, but that's one ugly layout/design.
I know a lota people will say, if ya have nothing nice to say....

Gino, you don't know how much I appreciate people like you, I am one that will say nothing ...99% of the time

So thank you for your honesty! LOL

BTW

+1 on your comment

to add my 1% negativity, "it looks like someone tried to eat a font book and threw it up on the back of the van LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By all means. A refresher course is always welcome.

Sometimes I think I should have taken more psychology courses.

MORE courses ?? Did you know the majority of people who get/got into psychiatry and that kinda hocus-pocus need more help then most of their patients ?? Heck, that's why they got into it in the first place. They were seeking help themselves and think they figured out what was wrong with them, so they put two and two together, this ain't too hard, think I'm gonna study up on this sh!t and start telling people what's wrong with them. :banghead:

An old friend of mine was the head psychiatrist at a local hospital. He has all kinds of degrees and I was talking to him one time and said, John..... you were one f*cked up guy growing up, well into your 20's. How is it you managed to be put in charge of these people ?? He said, cause I was the biggest nut case around, they figured I had everything under the sun and who better to put in charge, than someone who already knows all the do's & don'ts ?? I think he's still doing it, but he's still a nutjob. :Big Laugh

charliet

Right on! Thank you everyone for the criticism and suggestions! Some more helpful than others but please quit the "high school bully" attitude, especially to others trying to give solid input.

**If you say something looks like a "hot mess" I will never take you seriously. I could care less what your status on this site is, you'll always be a 12 yr old girl to me. Sorry if so blunt.

I didn't get involved with this site to hear all the cool kids talk nonsense on the newbies weak designs. I got involved with this site to hear all the cool kids give solid, helpful suggestions on the newbies weak designs!! :smile:

rjssigns

MORE courses ?? Did you know the majority of people who get/got into psychiatry and that kinda hocus-pocus need more help then most of their patients ?? Heck, that's why they got into it in the first place. They were seeking help themselves and think they figured out what was wrong with them, so they put two and two together, this ain't too hard, think I'm gonna study up on this sh!t and start telling people what's wrong with them. :banghead:

An old friend of mine was the head psychiatrist at a local hospital. He has all kinds of degrees and I was talking to him one time and said, John..... you were one f*cked up guy growing up, well into your 20's. How is it you managed to be put in charge of these people ?? He said, cause I was the biggest nut case around, they figured I had everything under the sun and who better to put in charge, than someone who already knows all the do's & don'ts ?? I think he's still doing it, but he's still a nutjob. :Big Laugh

Good story about your friend. 'Tis sad but true.

In my case I should have been more specific. Psychology courses as applied to design, marketing, color etc... We barely grazed the surface.