• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back from the dead...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Although I was 97% backed up it still woulda sucked to be rebuilding my computer today.

Normally I do not turn off my computer for months. Not one who likes to wait around for an extra 2 minutes.

I turned my computer off tuesday after reading that it's good for windows to shut down more than I have been doing.

Came in wednesday, turned on PC, nothing. no hard drive found.

Tried at least a dozen times to restart- nothing.

Took the cover off and switched cables - nothing.

Took drive out and put it in external enclosure - nothing.

Started tapping drive on table top, blowing dust off - nothing.

Started slamming it on table top, pissed off - nothing.

Left it in PC, went on an install, came back tried one more time to turn it on - nothing.

I was about to take it out and slam it on the ground, to break it, as this is good for my soul and thought - one more try....

hit the power button and machine booted right up, has been running fine for almost 20 hours....

insane....

petesign

Had that very issue with no hard drive recognized, you could reboot 100 times, and if you were lucky it would grab it once. Ended up buying a NAS raid drive as a result, it's nice to know it has a redundant drive but man, that thing is slow. I have thought about using a service like carbonite, but as big as the files we work with, i think it would take a month to get files uploaded and backed up a real time basis.

bdawg8527

Get a SSD drive as your main storage and use a raid 1 configuration with two drives as storage. Get a 256/512gb ssd and put your operating system and program files on it. Use it for current work stuff and then move to the storage hard drive. This will increase the speed of your applications and the boot time. My boot time is around 10-15 seconds.

Hicalibersigns

I would be ordering the replacement drive today!

Your hard drive is failing. Back up immediately!. Do an image backup, so that when you get your new drive you can restore the image and it will be an exact copy of what you have now. Saves all the re-installation and re-configuring.

anotherdog

inanimate objects hate people.
With no ability to move around they spend all their time plotting mischief. This is why computers tease us so, why single socks go missing and why when you are doing an install, the knife is just beyond your fingertips.

You didn't need luck to get the computer going, just needed a computer tech to walk in the room. I have seen it many times that the problem fixes itself as soon as the repair guy walk in the house.

Take that old hard drive out into the yeard and teach it some respect.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
backed up everything, then imaged the drive.

installed an ssd, rebuilding from the ground up, the previous OS was three years and running - i'd rather put in the time and get a cleaner OS.

at least i have the image if there is something i missed.