• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back-lit signage

Jillbeans

My only threat to you is if I put out quality work and beat your bids with my low overhead.

....have fun with that.
A long-time good pal of mine is a traditional sign painter in Mazeppa.
Would love to see your Mrs' designs.

Circleville Signs

Yes, we WERE using a hobby piece of equipment, NO i don't have much experience, but were you born with experience? Regardless of what industry a business is started it will always take a portion of the market, if I put out crap work, I go out of business. If my prices are too high I go out of business. My only threat to you is if I put out quality work and beat your bids with my low overhead. Unless you are the 1 other sign company in my 30k pop. town you have nothing to worry about.

No - you obviously have very little grasp on the reality of the sign business.

Your "threat" to every real sign shop in existence is that you will devalue the market in general - your quality is irrelevant.

You are attempting to enter a business that you know nothing about. And you are doing it the wrong way. You are right - people aren't born with experience - but the normal way of gaining experience is not to just jump into owning a business that you know nothing about.

So, there you have it.

Mosh

I worked at a shop for 5 years before I knew anything about signs...Shops like yous devalue and make it hard for any shops to make money. There is ALWAYS someone out there that will do it cheaper.

Look at me, I own farms, I don't need to make money at my shop, but I go off the SignCraft price guide as to not devalue the market. You should pick one up.

Marlene

Bly,

No one was bashing anyone - but it is fairly obvious that this person, albeit well intentioned, is not a sign professional. For crying out loud, they are using a fricking Crickut!!!

Marlene was simply trying to figure out what many of who have done this for years and see work drying up all around us try to figure out - how are we losing bids to these types of "businesses"?

also not bashing just trying to figure out if this is a real sign shop just starting out or a guy whos wife has a Circut.

No - you obviously have very little grasp on the reality of the sign business.

Your "threat" to every real sign shop in existence is that you will devalue the market in general - your quality is irrelevant.

You are attempting to enter a business that you know nothing about. And you are doing it the wrong way. You are right - people aren't born with experience - but the normal way of gaining experience is not to just jump into owning a business that you know nothing about.

So, there you have it.

it's one thing to ask the pros it is another to take our knowledge so you can under bid us and figure out how to pound out a job with no knowledge of even the very basic things about the business

Ragin Cajun

how did you get a job when you didn't have a plan as to how to make it? when you say "simple two color" is the background white with cut vinyl letters? how big is the sign? sounds like a replacement face, was the old face lexan or plexi? pan or flat? if you are using a good brand of cast vinyl, why on earth would you laminate it?

Why don't you try to help him instead of humiliate him?

He is trying to learn...

many people get in the business before they are ready.

Sometimes you just tell people you are getting setup and they say...I have something for you now.

Many people forget where that come from.

It took you much longer to write what you did instead of telling him what he should do.

Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't get it. When I p!ss on someone for sliding in the back door, all I get is.... shut up, they gotta start somewhere, and now you're all leading the charge with this little hobbyist getting under your skin.

So, the guy and his wife are hacks. They'll grow up to be wrap installers and electric sign producers before school is out this year.

empty is right. He can learn it all right here in the peanut gallery and he doesn't even have to join. At least he joined..... wait, that didn't cost a thing.

Hey empty, did you get a good deal on the 300 from the sign shop you put outta business by undercutting him ??

Ragin Cajun

The correct material is a polycab (lexan) sign face with 3M trans vinyl (3630).

Acrylite will crack too easily in cold weather climates.

This should sell around $25-$27 a square foot lettered, does not include install.

WOW!!!!!! So Helpful!

I notice that the people that are helpful are confident in their abilities instead of degrading someone else to make themselves feel better.

Ragin Cajun

Hey empty, did you get a good deal on the 300 from the sign shop you put outta business by undercutting him ??

If you go out of business by someone that doesn't know what material to use or how to quote a sign...You are in big trouble.

People that go out of business always blame someone else.

Maybe they should look in a mirror and see what's really wrong.

I am a photographer....some of the best photographers in the world can not make it in business because they think all they need to learn is to take pretty pictures...they refuse to learn the business side ....so they disappear.

I have been a photographer owning a studio for 28 years.

Believe me guys....there are many more people wanting to be photographers than sign makers..hehehehehe

We call them MWAC "Moms with a camera"

I still help them....because if i can teach them to charge more..i can charge more.

Helping someone will help yourself.

I am getting into the sign business also.

Learning from scratch...but I know I will blend right in with you guys soon.

RWYCF

"Remember where you come from"