• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back-lit signage

emt612

I don't even have my sp300 set up yet and I had a job fall into my lap. Its a simple 2 color back-lit sign at the entrance of a commercial complex. Since it would be my first back-lit sign would i use Acrylite with transparent solid color vinyl, then secondly do I laminate for extended durability? I live in south eastern Minnesota if that makes any difference.

Marlene

how did you get a job when you didn't have a plan as to how to make it? when you say "simple two color" is the background white with cut vinyl letters? how big is the sign? sounds like a replacement face, was the old face lexan or plexi? pan or flat? if you are using a good brand of cast vinyl, why on earth would you laminate it?

emt612

I have always had a backup if the machine wouldn't run right away (driver issues) outsource the cutting, then I would do everything past that. It is not going to be printed, my question is would I use 3M 7125 or 3M 3630. Then i wasn't sure about laminating also, with the freeze thaw cycle and intense cold we get up here i wasn't sure how it would affect the bond between the vinyl and substrate, thanks for your time and help

Malkin

3M 7125 is cast NON-translucent. Generally not for use on translucent faces, unless it's just black.

3M 3630 is cast Translucent. This is the correct product to use. Lamination not needed, even with your cold weather.

SignsonTime

We should teach everyone step by step how to make every sign even when they do not even have equip setup. This is becoming a one stop shop for do my layout, teach me how to use my equipment and tell me what materials to use and how to make the sign with no sign making experience. Sigh......

anotherdog

We should teach everyone step by step how to make every sign even when they do not even have equip setup. This is becoming a one stop shop for do my layout, teach me how to use my equipment and tell me what materials to use and how to make the sign with no sign making experience. Sigh......

And we will even tell you what to charge if you buy a premium membership! Wow what value.

emt612

3M 7125 is cast NON-translucent. Generally not for use on translucent faces, unless it's just black.

3M 3630 is cast Translucent. This is the correct product to use. Lamination not needed, even with your cold weather.

Thanks for the help, I thought translucent was the correct one to use but they wife was insisting otherwise.

emt612

Isn't this a noob part of the forum, I figure it is the best place to ask about a project i haven't done before, am I wrong? Isn't this forums mission for everyone in and thinking of getting into the sign industry? This is not my first sign, just my first back-lit sign.

Marlene

again I ask how can you make a sign when you don't know the difference between translucent vinly and regular cast or even that you don't need a laminate? are you a sign shop or something else? how did you get this job and not know what to use? how could you quote the job? I'm asking not to be a jerk, I am just amazed and think that if this is a one off and you don't ususally make signs you'll be OK but if you are making signs, you need to get some trade mags, read them, order some books, read thru this site and ask for help as you need it

emt612

again I ask how can you make a sign when you don't know the difference between translucent vinly and regular cast or even that you don't need a laminate? are you a sign shop or something else? how did you get this job and not know what to use? how could you quote the job? I'm asking not to be a jerk, I am just amazed and think that if this is a one off and you don't ususally make signs you'll be OK but if you are making signs, you need to get some trade mags, read them, order some books, read thru this site and ask for help as you need it

I gave the quote with translucent, my wife was insisting to use cast, my quote was with in 50$ of the other quote the business received. We started when my wife bought a silhouette cutter for a hobby, in the past couple months we installed a handful of window signs (she designs, I install)When an opportunity came up to purchase a 30" cutter/printer i jumped at it. (doing everything on a 8" cutter is horrible) I have done a lot of reading and was confident in my decision and quote but my wife insisted on a direct question. I have several books coming with my next order. What books would you recommend?

Bly

Yeah it's the Noob section of the forum not the Bash A Noob.

But whatever makes you feel superior I guess.

Mosh

my wife bought a silhouette cutter for a hobby

Cricutters eh? Just use whatever is cheapest, you will be tired of the "Sign Business" before the cheap stuff fails anyway!

Circleville Signs

Bly,

No one was bashing anyone - but it is fairly obvious that this person, albeit well intentioned, is not a sign professional. For crying out loud, they are using a fricking Crickut!!!

Marlene was simply trying to figure out what many of who have done this for years and see work drying up all around us try to figure out - how are we losing bids to these types of "businesses"?

Mosh

how are we losing bids to these types of "businesses"?

Here is the answer...

my wife was insisting to use cast

Cricutters don't know any better....to them it is a hobby and if the sign lasts 6 months, so what,
they will be onto a different hobby by then!

Mosh

The correct material is a polycab (lexan) sign face with 3M trans vinyl (3630).

Acrylite will crack too easily in cold weather climates.

This should sell around $25-$27 a square foot lettered, does not include install.

emt612

Yes, we WERE using a hobby piece of equipment, NO i don't have much experience, but were you born with experience? Regardless of what industry a business is started it will always take a portion of the market, if I put out crap work, I go out of business. If my prices are too high I go out of business. My only threat to you is if I put out quality work and beat your bids with my low overhead. Unless you are the 1 other sign company in my 30k pop. town you have nothing to worry about.

Mosh

No problem...BTW No one underbids the Mosh...many times I have done jobs below cost just to screw another shop out of the job!!!!