• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backing up a glass gild

fresh

I'm venturing into glass gilding and I've pretty much figured out all the items I need to do a good job except one... What do I use to back it up? I'm using Gold Leaf Techniques by Kent Smith as a guide, but I can't find any of the products he suggests for backing up the gold.

Can I use quick-size for backing up? It suggests using Chromatic Clear Overcoat Varnish but I can't find it anywhere. I even called spraylat and they don't answer their phones :(

Help please!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some use regular oil-based black while some use screen printing ink for backing up. I've done very few window jobs, but always used black paint and then Spar clear varnish. Another guy here at the shop likes the screen printing ink more... simply because it dries much faster and you can get the varnish on the same day.

SignManiac

Back in time when I did any gilded glass, I used a product called Stazon for backing up. Stunk to high heavens but dried really fast. But I would bet its probably no longer available in this new age.

Just did a quick search. This is the stuff I used.

Stazon Blockout Paint is generally used on fluorescent sign tubing where portions of the tubing are to be "blocked out" and thus not show .

fresh

I know them personally and highly recommend them!

Give them a call ... Ron will be a fountain of knowledge that you can tap into!

You must have observed that most of the people on this site have little or no knowledge of glass gilding!

Check out :

http://www.handletteringforum.com/forum/index.php

Sweet, I will give them a call. I know there is very few people out there doing it. We love doing window lettering, and our work is getting noticed more and more. If we can just get a few gilded windows out there, I know we'll be able to sell it.

Thank you for the recommendations.

fresh

Back in time when I did any gilded glass, I used a product called Stazon for backing up. Stunk to high heavens but dried really fast. But I would bet its probably no longer available in this new age.

Just did a quick search. This is the stuff I used.

Stazon Blockout Paint is generally used on fluorescent sign tubing where portions of the tubing are to be "blocked out" and thus not show .

Many thanks for this.

fresh

Some use regular oil-based black while some use screen printing ink for backing up. I've done very few window jobs, but always used black paint and then Spar clear varnish. Another guy here at the shop likes the screen printing ink more... simply because it dries much faster and you can get the varnish on the same day.

I've read that spar varnish can craze and crack. Did you ever have any issues with longevity? Also, when I search for "spar clear varnish" I get lots of marine varnishes. Is there a specific brand that you've used with good results in the past?

I think I may use screen printing ink to back it up. I happen to have some in my shop, and setting up this little venture is becoming more and more expensive.

Ken Sankey

As far as the backing up, I've used Naz-Dar's line of enamel based screen inks on some recent jobs most of which the initial art was reverse printed on glass, then the gilds were applied with a damar center. Now to back up the finished job Epifanes makes an outdoor high gloss clear uv finish that works well, is brushable and durable when dry. I have some friends in the Chicago area well seasoned in this art and have steered me in the direction of these products with success. Letterhead supply will also provide you with an avenue and experience behind the sale. Happy gilding.

Techman

back up black is not all the high priced. As Si said.. get some at letterhead sign supply. It is good stuff and lasts.i got some here