• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Vinyl Bubbling After 3 Years

signbrad

This is almost surely an issue with the plastic rather than the vinyl or the application method.

Not all polycarbonates are the same. There are many grades and formulations among the manufacturers. Even within the Lexan brand family (owned and manufactured by Sabic, a Saudi Arabian company), there are a number of different formulations with various additives and characteristics. Sabic even makes a plant-based polycarbonate, as does Mitsubishi, among others.

Polycarbonate absorbs moisture and must be dried/cured before processing. A typical recommended drying temperature is 250 degrees. Is that the temperature you dry your Lexan?:rolleyes:
Polycarbonate also re-absorbs moisture, and under the right conditions (high heat and moisture) some of its physical characteristics can be significantly compromised.

Is there a foolproof way to know that you are using the best polycarbonate for your end use? I doubt it. Traditionally, this industry (signs) has relied on trial-and-error to make decisions on materials. When we find something that works, we tend to stick to it. But how do you know three years in advance that something will fail? Or how do you know when a manufacturer changes a formulation, or when a supplier makes a substitution?

This is one of the arguments against using polycarbonate. For large signs, I have always preferred a flexible face, anyway. For small signs, acrylic doesn't yellow and is easier to machine. To avoid acrylic blowouts, I have always relied on hanging bars. Breakage? If I were worried about breakage, I wouldn't have glass windows in my house. :) In a sign, I generally consider breakage a non-issue. But I will use polycarbonate by request. I rarely volunteer it, though.

Brad in Kansas City

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is almost surely an issue with the plastic rather than the vinyl or the application method.

Not all polycarbonates are the same. There are many grades and formulations among the manufacturers. Even within the Lexan brand family (owned and manufactured by Sabic, a Saudi Arabian company), there are a number of different formulations with various additives and characteristics. Sabic even makes a plant-based polycarbonate, as does Mitsubishi, among others.

Polycarbonate absorbs moisture and must be dried/cured before processing. A typical recommended drying temperature is 250 degrees. Is that the temperature you dry your Lexan?:rolleyes:
Polycarbonate also re-absorbs moisture, and under the right conditions (high heat and moisture) some of its physical characteristics can be significantly compromised.

Is there a foolproof way to know that you are using the best polycarbonate for your end use? I doubt it. Traditionally, this industry (signs) has relied on trial-and-error to make decisions on materials. When we find something that works, we tend to stick to it. But how do you know three years in advance that something will fail? Or how do you know when a manufacturer changes a formulation, or when a supplier makes a substitution?

This is one of the arguments against using polycarbonate. For large signs, I have always preferred a flexible face, anyway. For small signs, acrylic doesn't yellow and is easier to machine. To avoid acrylic blowouts, I have always relied on hanging bars. Breakage? If I were worried about breakage, I wouldn't have glass windows in my house. :) In a sign, I generally consider breakage a non-issue. But I will use polycarbonate by request. I rarely volunteer it, though.

Brad in Kansas City

Did you by any chance read post #55 ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I (once) started cleaning a sheet, getting ready to put it on the printer... Then halfway through cleaning it realized that I hadn't removed the protective film. No harm done yet... So I laughed at myself. Oops.

JBurton

Signtologist
I (once) started cleaning a sheet, getting ready to put it on the printer... Then halfway through cleaning it realized that I hadn't removed the protective film. No harm done yet... So I laughed at myself. Oops.
I've made more than a couple of ADA window signs, while forgetting to remove the clear mask on the clear window. It's not much of a problem, the film is stuck solidly to the substrate until it has a corner pulled up, plus it's a $10 material waste and a 30 minute fix...