• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Vinyl Bubbling After 3 Years

Manuel Upton

Wow, that's a hell of a report. Very interesting.

I'd still love to know how they expect most shops to "bake" their large sign faces for an hour.
I know. We have a powder coat oven large enough but it's not something we want to be bothered with doing. We did some tests of our own. see attached The 3M is 40C-114R, the Arlon is 4500 clear.

Attachments

• 3M vs Arlon clear.jpeg
    3M vs Arlon clear.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 142
  • Informative
Reactions: a77

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I know. We have a powder coat oven large enough but it's not something we want to be bothered with doing. We did some tests of our own. see attached The 3M is 40C-114R, the Arlon is 4500 clear.
That's a big difference. Did I miss the part where you explained why you use clear vinyl for your faces? We don't do much any more, thankfully, but always used 3850 when we printed graphics for faces.

Manuel Upton

We found that using white translucent vinyl with white poly was blocking to much light on fully wrapped faces no matter how many LED's we used. It could be an LED issue but I'm not sure about that. We switched to clear vinyl a few years ago and are much happier with the way the signs look at night.

Aaron Hunter

Only time I've ever seen bubbles like this is when we used IJ180v3/8520 on SunRite Polycarbonate but it took only a few hours in the sun to develop. Our supply dealer went through it with 3M and the results we received that it was the polycarbonate. Even though we outgassed it, apparently polycarbonate is never completely outgassed and is made with definitive sides. One side is finished and meant to receive graphics the back is porous for continual out gassing into the cabinet.
For outgassing we will peel the protective film and let it sit at least overnight. If need be we will use a torch to accelerate the process.

JBurton

Signtologist
We found that using white translucent vinyl with white poly was blocking to much light on fully wrapped faces no matter how many LED's we used. It could be an LED issue but I'm not sure about that. We switched to clear vinyl a few years ago and are much happier with the way the signs look at night.
Agreed, but I'll warn you that arlong 4500G clear is going to curl unless it's in a sign with retainer.
apparently polycarbonate is never completely outgassed and is made with definitive sides. One side is finished and meant to receive graphics the back is porous for continual out gassing into the cabinet.
This is the first I've heard of this, other than the one side having a UV inhibitor on it. Very interesting. I wonder if this is part of what generates the curve that never really goes away (aside from obviously being rolled onto massive reels)

gnubler

Good info to know!
And glad I have a shop big enough now where I can let polycarb panels gas out on a spare table or rack.
At my old shop they would sit coiled until it was their turn on the table, out to the parking lot to uncoil them on big sheets of cardboard, then back inside to apply graphics immediately. Even had to uncoil some out in the snow.

Aaron Hunter

Good info to know!
And glad I have a shop big enough now where I can let polycarb panels gas out on a spare table or rack.
At my old shop they would sit coiled until it was their turn on the table, out to the parking lot to uncoil them on big sheets of cardboard, then back inside to apply graphics immediately. Even had to uncoil some out in the snow.
A couple of the shops I used to work for would buy it by the 100" x 150' roll and then fab a cart to be able to move and unroll it. Was always a dreaded day when we had to load a new roll lol.

gnubler

Early on when I started the business I uncoiled my first sheet of poly carb in the shop. Quickly learned to never do that again.
It was just luck that I didn't get smacked in the face with that one.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Once my boss and I were releasing a coil of lexan and he accidentally knocked me halfway across the room when he "cut the cord" :roflmao:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Only time I've ever seen bubbles like this is when we used IJ180v3/8520 on SunRite Polycarbonate but it took only a few hours in the sun to develop. Our supply dealer went through it with 3M and the results we received that it was the polycarbonate. Even though we outgassed it, apparently polycarbonate is never completely outgassed and is made with definitive sides. One side is finished and meant to receive graphics the back is porous for continual out gassing into the cabinet.
For outgassing we will peel the protective film and let it sit at least overnight. If need be we will use a torch to accelerate the process.
We used to get at least one brand of poly that marked as "either side out". Their "60 inch" sheets were, in actuality, only 58", "their protective film only 52-54" inches, the edges were always scratched, and in inevitably came rolled up, and the meatheads in the shop would unroll it on the floor- then wonder why it was scratched under the film (never mind that they'd also walked on the damned thing. The second time I had a sheet of that to run, I had to tell the purchasing manager "no more" and insist they get sheets that were shipped flat and were actually sized correctly (or over). Our go-to is Tuffak, which is clearly marked "this side out", unless we're stuck needing something so large, the supplier doesn't have it.

AGinVT

Well, mystery solved. One of our techs (now former tech) failed to remove the protective sheeting before applying the backlit vinyl :rolleyes:.
The good news is, I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what went wrong and as a bonus, this was the easiest vinyl removal in the history of vinyl removal.

Thank you for all of your time and sorry for wasting it. Life was much easier when there were only a few of us working in the shop. This was at least a good training opportunity. We now remove the sheeting as soon as these sheets come in the door.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Wowsers, I can see why they are now a former "tech"...............

We all make mistakes but that's pretty bad.

Glad you got it sorted out, regardless!

gnubler

Yikes. I have an underlying fear that one of these days I'm going to do that.
At the last shop I worked at I was putting a sign together and as I pulled off the protective sheeting (I believe it was Sintra) she said "You're supposed to take that off?" :rolleyes:

MDKAOD

Well, mystery solved. One of our techs (now former tech) failed to remove the protective sheeting before applying the backlit vinyl :rolleyes:.
The good news is, I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what went wrong and as a bonus, this was the easiest vinyl removal in the history of vinyl removal.

Thank you for all of your time and sorry for wasting it. Life was much easier when there were only a few of us working in the shop. This was at least a good training opportunity. We now remove the sheeting as soon as these sheets come in the door.

It's great you were able to narrow down the issue. I wonder what's up with all of the other panels that popped up in this thread. Good info all around, nonetheless.