• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't want to be in the business of outsourcing everything, I'd like to learn and grow and become one of these merchants. I am more interested in learning how to do it for experience and for quick turnaround time. If my customer needs it in 48 hours, I can't order it or ship it off and wait a week.

pops_blinking.gif
Yes, but if you were in the business of outsourcing some things and had won that 80 banner job, you wouldn't be on an under $4K budget for a laminator. Why on earth would you pass on a job you could outsource just because you can't do it in-house?

I have a good friend in the business here locally. His shop does some of the highest quality and varied work around. His typical annual revenue is over $500K which he does with just two part time employees while putting nearly half his gross in his pocket every year. One of the reasons for this is that he outsources whatever he doesn't do well to jobbers.

ams

pops_blinking.gif
Yes, but if you were in the business of outsourcing some things and had won that 80 banner job, you wouldn't be on an under $4K budget for a laminator. Why on earth would you pass on a job you could outsource just because you can't do it in-house?

I have a good friend in the business here locally. His shop does some of the highest quality and varied work around. His typical annual revenue is over $500K which he does with just two part time employees while putting nearly half his gross in his pocket every year. One of the reasons for this is that he outsources whatever he doesn't do well to jobbers.

My company stands for no outsourcing. Like you can get 100 18" X 24" Coroplast signs from China for $1.00 each. Seems like an amazing mark up and value right? However your supporting China and hurting the economy even more by putting sign shops out of business. You can get a 3' X 6' printed banner from China for $20.00.

So I create jobs for Americans, and I order supplies and materials that are Made in America, and I try to do all work in-house and everything.
Even tho I'd be ordering from American sign shops, it's still a form of outsourcing. People would judge me as a desk who calls in orders and delivers them to customers without doing anything, I would be a mail order.

I stand firm behind my name.

Circleville Signs

My company stands for no outsourcing. Like you can get 100 18" X 24" Coroplast signs from China for $1.00 each. Seems like an amazing mark up and value right? However your supporting China and hurting the economy even more by putting sign shops out of business. You can get a 3' X 6' printed banner from China for $20.00.

So I create jobs for Americans, and I order supplies and materials that are Made in America, and I try to do all work in-house and everything.
Even tho I'd be ordering from American sign shops, it's still a form of outsourcing. People would judge me as a desk who calls in orders and delivers them to customers without doing anything, I would be a mail order.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

****breathe****

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

****done talking to walls today****

wildside

you don't want to outsource anything, and you want everything "proudly made in the usa" good for you....but......

what about raw vinyl, machines, software, application tapes, squeegees, ink, etc.... will you use those products? they aren't american made, therefore you cannot claim all you do is "american made"....

on a side note, i checked out your website, design classes and research may be in order before getting too wrapped up into production methods, all production starts with a solid design, or should.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, you'd be 'Addie, Jr'.

It's really great to know we have sign shops that buy all American products and can still make a buck. We buy from our American vendors and suppliers, but I can't be sure they are selling us American Made Stuff.

You and your boss might want to take another look at your business plan. You don't have to buy all of your products from China. You can just as easily sub from American sign shops and still make a great profit. If you are only bidding against $20 banners and $1 Cor-X's, then you guys are looking in the wrong places for customers. Again, you need to look at your business plan and go after a better grade customers and get your eyes out of the toilet.

You want cheap customers, learn to deal with it.... otherwise move or get with the program.

Sign-Man Signs

I'll give you two sources and you can do what you want with it.

http://imperialwholesalebanner.com/ for banners
example: hemmed and grommet 13 oz. 4 x 8....$16.00 each
shipped same day before 2 o'clock.

http://www.streetmedia.us// for printed banners...no hems or grommets
$.99 a square foot. and they supply the banner, 13 oz.
24 hour turn around if file received before 10 am.

I sell a cut vinyl banner 4 x 8 for $121.00. You figure the profit. But then again, I'm so 80's. Our sales to date on banners is around 400, different sizes.

Last edited:

John Butto

Think you had better check that "american made" computer that you are using, and your "american made" clothes, oh and your "american made" TV...

HulkSmash

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:banghead:

I lost brain cells after reading this. No seriously. Apparently outsourcing to an American company isn't american at all, and they take jobs from Americans?. You're like a brick wall that wont absorb anything.

I seriously feel bad for you. Good luck with your Rowland.

Sign-Man Signs

Think you had better check that "american made" computer that you are using, and your "american made" clothes, oh and your "american made" TV...

Really? I build my own computers but have to buy import parts because there's nothing else out there. Yes, I do check the label to see where my clothes are made. I own a 73 inch GE plasma tv. Best I can do.
I've never ordered anything imported from China or Japan as far as sign supplies go.
:Oops:

ams

Of course it isn't 100% American Made, it can't be. My Roland is Made in Taiwan. But I am careful with choosing products from where they are from. My shop towels are Made in USA, Vinyl is a local company in USA, Knives and Tools Made in USA.

But it's not about that, it's about doing it in-house or locally and not sourcing.

Well I am just a dumb brick to you all, just an inexperienced idiot who doesn't know a sign from a hole in the ground. I will just have to close up and quit. Bye

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Here's a link to 15 merchant members here at Signs 101 who are primarily involved in filling your needs for outsourced work. All are located in the United States and about whom you can say "Made in America". You can use them or not. They're a resource that meets your needs.

You might want to check the Japanese printer/plotter you want to buy as well as the country of origin for the materials it will consume. What you are going to find is that a TRUE Made in America product is a virtually impossible flight of fancy. Which is not to say that striving for most of the labor involved isn't worthwhile.

It is also an admirable goal to want to establish yourself as a producer ... but turning away work (and customers) because you can't produce it in-house when you could farm out the work to a U.S. jobber IMHO fails any kind of reasonable test of common sense.

Good luck to you.

ucmj22

One additional question. How do you create 2" pole pockets on a banner? A university wanted 80 banners with 2" pole pockets, of course I couldn't do the job, as I don't have the printer yet and they were full color. But wanted to know for the future.

... fold and hemm

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 74

HulkSmash

Here's a link to 15 merchant members here at Signs 101 who are primarily involved in filling your needs for outsourced work. All are located in the United States and about whom you can say "Made in America". You can use them or not. They're a resource that meets your needs.

You might want to check the Japanese printer/plotter you want to buy as well as the country of origin for the materials it will consume. What you are going to find is that a TRUE Made in America product is a virtually impossible flight of fancy. Which is not to say that striving for most of the labor involved isn't worthwhile.

It is also an admirable goal to want to establish yourself as a producer ... but turning away work (and customers) because you can't produce it in-house when you could farm out the work to a U.S. jobber IMHO fails any kind of reasonable test of common sense.

Good luck to you.

I don't think he's interested Fred.... another one bites the dust.

HulkSmash

blondie.gif
As has been said many times ... View attachment 69320 , you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Yup. I just can't comprehend why you wouldn't want to outsource to bring in more business, and offer more products. I understand he wants to be a wholesaler one day, but until then why can't he use the help, to HELP his business grow. And how is outsourcing hurting our economy, and taking jobs away from Americans. :frustrated:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yup. I just can't comprehend why you wouldn't want to outsource to bring in more business, and offer more products. I understand he wants to be a wholesaler one day, but until then why can't he use the help, to HELP his business grow. And how is outsourcing hurting our economy, and taking jobs away from Americans. :frustrated:

I think that there has been so much foreign outsourcing that the word has taken on a different and more negative meaning than the way it was intended and used in this thread.