• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Battery Back-up

Former member

VersaCamm 540 users: What battery back up do you use? I have an APC and thought that it was good enough to keep my machine printing for a few seconds in the event of a brief outage....boy was I wrong! Found out the hard way,on the very end of a 12' x 4' print.
Does anybody know of a back up with enough juice?
Thanks -Rich

Replicator

I know of know end user UPS that will keep your system running for more than
about a half hour, but you may consider always having a hardwired generator
on standby for just such an emergency.

The problem is that a back-up-battery supply [or] UPS is designed for safe
computer shutdown especially unattended, but they're not designed to pump
out any kind of real power to run equipment.

Good Luck !

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With heaters for the vinyl, I'd be surprised if you have any luck finding such an animal. What is the total wattage rating of your Versacamm?

Techman

yer goona need a BIG backup power system.

To omany often think that since there is a 400 watt power supply in their machines they can get a 400 watt back up unit. This is bad medicine.
A backup unit that says 400 watss means 400 watts peak power. This the peak sudden rush . It will not carry 400 watts for more than a few seconds.
That is why you should double your back up size. IE: 400 watt power supply in your machine means get a 800 watt back up power supply.
Thats the rules in the short term.

ChiknNutz

Though I cannot say what it is really like in-use during an outage, but I picked up this one: Ultra ULT33046 Backup UPS 2000VA/1200W and it seems to be doing a fine job. I also picked up the next smaller one for my computer and cutter. I had to get two because the computer and printer are separated by a wall, and the SP-540 seems to draw about what the larger UPS is capable of.

Former member

Fred
The manual says 1080 watts during use.
I'm not looking to keep it running during an outage. Just keep it running long enough to get to it and stop the printing manually instead of the machine coming an abrupt stop with print heads exposed.

Replicator

Just keep it running long enough to get to it and stop the printing manually instead of the machine coming an abrupt stop with print heads exposed.

Should be software with the UPS that may let you input the shutdown
time along with other variables . . .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We’re using an APC 725 on our 540. Had to use it several times. Works like a champ.

With the 725, we figured it had enough ‘Umpf’ to get 6’ of printing finished and cut most average projects in normal mode. If a job just started and it’s 12’ long, we’ll stop it if it didn’t get ½ way yet. If it passed the ½ way mark, we’ll let it do the remainder and that’s how we figured on a 6’ time frame.

Attachments

• APC.jpg
    APC.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 171
I have a HP T2200xr I bought new on Ebay for @ $350. 540v pulls @ 1100 watts
in print mode. I have had complete power loss while printing and this handled it fine -finished 5' left of a print & was still power to keep going but i shut down & switched power. I also have a 6000w inverter generator for power back up . which is a real bonus if you experience extended outages. Paid @ $2000 . Should be enough to power your shop - comps - lights - printer & small heating unit @ 6-8 hours on 5 gal.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred
The manual says 1080 watts during use.
I'm not looking to keep it running during an outage. Just keep it running long enough to get to it and stop the printing manually instead of the machine coming an abrupt stop with print heads exposed.

It appears from your response that you don't understand wattage draws and ratings. Simply put, you cannot draw more power from the UPS than it is rated to deliver. It isn't a matter of buying a minute or two. As soon as the power being drawn by your printer exceeds the power rating of the UPS battery, which will in most cases be immediately in a power outage, you will either zap the battery or trip its safety protection devices.

A full 1080 watts of power being drawn using 110 volts, equals just under 10 amps of current. That's a lot. I have never seen an UPS battery with any higher power rating than 800 watts. But if you find one, please post back here for those who may also be interested. It may also be that it would be possible to hook up two or three UPS batteries in parallel to achieve a satisfactory amount of total wattage.