• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Battery Backup Units for Digital Printers

What type of Battery Backup Surge Protection Units are you using? Looking to replace my Mutoh printer units backup/suege and move it to another station. Looking for great protection and some juice to run it a few mins if/when the power does surge or go out.....

niksagkram

I think there was a thread about this not too long ago. Seems to me you need to get one appropriate for the power draw or load of your printer. I don't think the more common off-the-shelf models will perform up to par for you.

yeah im on a 1500 now, want to hear what you guys have and using.....likes or dislikes.....how much print time you have got out of it if you did lose power. ill spend $500 on if its worth it, not worried about the cost.

rjssigns

If you run a Roland or similar you will need a UPS with at least 1200 watt capability. 10A*120V=1200W

Problem is you will need to get one with a monster battery. Thinking you'll be able to finish the last 20 feet of a roll after the power goes out ain't gonna happen otherwise.

Best thing to do is look at the label on the back of the printer. It will tell you full load Watts/Amps. Then Google away.

player

Probably cheaper to use the one you have that covers blinks and short outages and browns, but just replace the print the rare occasion a print gets killed from the power. Unless it is happening frequently.

yeah i have one now just getting another and moving this one to a plotter and the plotter one to a pc.........i just want enough to print a few mins to at least get to a decent stopping point if possible. I have a Mutoh Vj1324. never used the one i have now for backup now, but that day will come sooner than later.

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Power Conditioning

Also, if you have "noisy" power in your shop you may want to go the route we did, which is making sure your ups is also a power conditioner - it converts the incoming power to DC then rebuilds its own AC sign wave so you've always got clean juice.

Techman

a backup ower supply for a printer will need to be huge. The one needed for a printer will cost about 15 grand.

A 1500 watt backuppower supply with the battery needed to power a printer for a few minutes will not be purchased in a box store.

All that plus the fact that a power supply that barely will operate the printer when new will fail to do the job after its about a year old due to degradation on the battery. That means the backup battery will need to be at least 40% bigger than predicted according to size calculations..

thanks techman,

I just want somthing better than i have now and can say get me a couple mins of print time. to at least cancel the print and shut down printer. I have a generator if i need to keep printing

Thanks jtiii, which one do you have