• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Be safe out there....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is no laughing matter, but with practically all the schools already shut down...... what exactly is getting shut down ??

We're wide open in Texas... no shut downs here and hasn't been for a while. Our governor said we will never shut down again.

JetPress

I told him it's not like in Wisconsin where most people are used to driving in snow, he must be extremely watchful!

When I lived in Austin, TX for a little while I experienced snow for the first time one year and apparently so did a lot of people because I saw lots of people losing control. I saw a taxi spin out in front of my apartment. I called that I wouldn't come into work and played in the snow. It barely lasted for a day but we're just not prepared for that type of weather.

Bly

Wow hope you all stay safe wherever you are.
It's hard to imagine this level of cold.
I think I've only seen snow like two or three times in my life.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Texas_Signmaker said:
Those express lanes are 75mph limit... main lanes are 70mph. Add 10 mph to that and you'll get the average speed someone goes.

Actually, it turns out the speed limit at the spot of the pile up is 65mph in the general purpose lanes and 75mph in the tolled express lanes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.787...4!1sKadugkVsMocs9DnDT6sodg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

But, yeah, add another 10mph on any posted speed limit and that might be the normal flow of traffic on freeways in DFW. It's either that or you end up stuck in a traffic jam.

Edit: the view from the opposite direction shows a serious downhill grade for Southbound traffic, which was the direction drivers in the pile up were traveling. High speeds, downhill grade and ice? That's one heck of a bad combo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.788...4!1saSvB_0b_lJAvx4YsiKGoFg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I think the Street View imagery in Google Maps actually looks a lot better in the Google Earth application. Google Earth will allow users to zoom into the imagery too.

The roads up here in Lawton are pretty much dry, but we're plunging farther and farther into the deep freeze. My neighborhood had hardly any water pressure this morning thanks to a water main break. City workers had to open a hydrant during part of the repair job, which put a whole bunch of water down a couple of streets. Those will be good for ice skates by now. The weather forecasters haven't been close to getting things right. The past 3 days they predicted it would get above freezing and maybe even close to 40°F. We can't even get out of the mid 20's. The stubborn @$$hole clouds have refused to clear off. According to the forecasts this is as warm as it gets until well into next week. We're in for possibly below zero weather in the wee hours of Monday and Tuesday morning. Lawton may get a foot or more of snow Sunday night into Monday morning! This weather is so f***ed.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Around here it seems like everyone's making french toast. You left out the toilet paper rush
It does make for quiet times to get things done around the shop or at home. Oh the dreaded honey dew list

Val47

Stay warm everyone!

snow-sculpture-art-winter-1.jpg

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
That's the footage from the pile-up 6:30am Thursday. Grimly funny commentary coming from the guy shooting video at the 3 minute mark. Near the end of the video I was glad to see at least a couple people knew how to frame a shot correctly. I just really detest vertical video.

Val47

That's the footage from the pile-up 6:30am Thursday. Grimly funny commentary coming from the guy shooting video at the 3 minute mark. Near the end of the video I was glad to see at least a couple people knew how to frame a shot correctly. I just really detest vertical video.
Forever the critic, aren't we?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'll always hate vertical phone videos. So much eyewitness news footage is badly goofed up thanks to people who can't manage to hold their phones sideways. Vertical video captured by a phone is okay when played back on a phone held vertically. But the video sucks @$$ played on anything else, be it a computer monitor, a HDTV monitor or broadcast on the news. The video is a tall, door-shaped rectangle contained inside a horizontal rectangle. Just stupid. The production crew for the newscast often has to do stuff to the vertical video to make it at least a little more legible on a TV screen -usually by artificially zooming into it so the tall slit fills more horizontal space on the TV screen -all at a cost of making the video quality soft and blurry by blowing up those pixels.

I get annoyed by this nonsense because it gets back to some of the garbage many of us have to put up with in our day jobs designing signs. So many Americans do not have a proper grasp of simple concepts of geometry. And aspect ratio? What the heck is that!? I'm currently in "revision hell" over one project because the client can't understand just how many lines of routed aluminum lettering you cram into a 2 foot tall space before the lettering is all going to be tiny as f***. And there's flourishy ornate script involved in it too.

Another thing that makes vertical video painful: I've had conversations with some friends and acquaintances where they ask me something along the lines of, "Bob, you're a graphics guy, so can you help me make the videos from my phone look better on my TV screen?" I have to figure out the nicest way possible to tell them to hold the phone horizontally the next time they shoot a video without sounding like a smart@$$.

Val47

Soooo, PLEASE, don't EVER post a video taken at a vertical angle. Are you all LISTENING?

If not, Bobby H might become unhinged and go at us with unsharpened scissors, and we will all be stressed out.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I hate having to turn my phone sideways when everything else is vertical. Carry on with the vertical video, not everyone hates it.

Jburns

A high of 6 degrees on Sunday - and a low of Negative 2?? Live just south of Denver.

This is absolutely crazy

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
A high of 6 degrees on Sunday - and a low of Negative 2?? Live just south of Denver.

This is absolutely crazy

That's our temp on Monday.

And Bobby needs a serious visit with Robert with how much stress vertical videos cause him. I didn't even notice and nor do I care. If anyone needs a lesson in video quality have a chat with some of the ones on RedTube.